Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 AM

251 posts, read 1,128,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I definitely don't want Fort Mill to turn into an extension of Sw Charlotte.
Well, you might as well get used to the idea. Fort Mill will have a movie "cineplex", I'm sure, within a few years. I wouldn't be surprised to find one pop up in the new Clear Springs commerical development being proposed at I-77 and 160. There has even been a rumor that a cineplex will be included in the new development being planned on 521 across from Sun City in Indian Land!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,440,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
Well, you might as well get used to the idea. Fort Mill will have a movie "cineplex", I'm sure, within a few years. I wouldn't be surprised to find one pop up in the new Clear Springs commerical development being proposed at I-77 and 160. There has even been a rumor that a cineplex will be included in the new development being planned on 521 across from Sun City in Indian Land!
They can keep it down by 521 and Sun City. I doubt they will be one at 77 and 160; the AMC is not too far and neither is the Rock Hill Galleria. Movie theatres usually aren't built too close together.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM

11 posts, read 45,065 times
Hi groove1--i totally agree with you (re: "glad we don't have xx).

My husband and I are within 10 minutes of Ballantyne and we've saved so much money from not eating out all the time. We used to live in the Ballantyne area and went out to eat everyday because they were there. We have saved over $1000.00/month by staying home because we love to cook and there aren't a lot of restaurants in our neck of the woods.

We have fallen in love with Di-Dees diner; it's the coolest diner we've been to in a long time. Not to mention the fact that the servers actually serve.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:15 AM

I love the fact too that the only "fast food" restaurant near me is a good Chinese place (China East where I can get healthy melas like steamed chicken or shrimp) and other than that it's Hardee's (which I don't like at all; I'm not a big fast food fan. fast food places are killing our children among other factors all in the name of money). We cook at home a lot more now too because of this and not only does this save money on food, it saves money on gas too.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 PM

620 posts, read 2,120,444 times
I don't see the big deal about having a movie theater or some of those stores people were mentioning off of 160 (to the right of I-77 by Baxter)? It is already somewhat commercialized and a 4 lane road. It makes sense to put those things there. What I would really like to see more than anything is downtown Fort Mill come alive. All those empty storefronts (no chains) - it has so much potential and character. It would be nice to get dinner, coffee, ice cream, window shop, or take a stroll with all the nice days we have here.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:27 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,912,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I What I would really like to see more than anything is downtown Fort Mill come alive. All those empty storefronts (no chains) - it has so much potential and character. It would be nice to get dinner, coffee, ice cream, window shop, or take a stroll with all the nice days we have here.
Agree with this one! Cafes with umbrellas, nice little specialty stores...and a Panera. Starbucks just does not fit the bill.

Otherwise, I like the quiet as it is in Fort Mill, the very reason we did not buy in South Charlotte.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 AM

70 posts, read 236,749 times
nyxmike,

Corrigan's Cafe on Main in downtown Ft. Mill is open every day (I think) for breakfast and lunch and they do dinner on Thursday and Friday night.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:51 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,219,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
There is also Cupps Cafe near Winthrop which serves local and organic food.
I was over at Winthrop University (Rock Hill) today and saw that Cupps had closed.

Closed | Coffee Press (http://www.cuppscafe.com/closed/ - broken link)

Old 06-19-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I was over at Winthrop University (Rock Hill) today and saw that Cupps had closed.

Closed | Coffee Press (http://www.cuppscafe.com/closed/ - broken link)
That stinks. Earth Fare opens next Wednesday and they have a pretty good cafe in there.

I also went to the that Fresh Fruit Boquet Comoany in front of Walmart yesterday and got a smoothie. VERY expensive and not as good as Smoothie King. FFBC charges $4.95 for a 16 oz smoothie and $5.95 for a 24 ounce.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:44 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,564,768 times
I will tell you what is and has been missing is a vibrant, interesting downtown area -- there is so much that could be done there but most of the downtown is owned by the town attorney and the tax structure of the town does not encourage business development in the city limits [unless you are owned by the Springs/Close family] --- Don't hold your breath -- they had a plan to do all this in place when we moved her in 1993. At that time they also had a parks and recreation plan [another joke] - we do have a ballfied though, with no buffering considerations for our adcacent neighborhood and adjoining homes.

Downtown Fort Mill *could* be a destination - with nearby Johnson and Wales it could be made a dining extravaganza, or an arts center -- Waxhaw has done a much better job with its downtown.

In the 15 years I have been here, I have seen the community slowly loose its character and feel it is just another bedroom community for Charlotte - the Springs developments and Tega Cay have done a much better job of definining themselves as a community.

Oh, for what it is worth, one of our town councilman has been able to get away with for a year not even LIVING in the town.

Now we recently elected a new mayor and maybe things will change and I am sure I will not find much different in the Greenville area when we move. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties