Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:33 AM

850 posts, read 2,651,869 times

Advertisements

400-home subdivision near Tega Cay gets final approval
By John Marks - jmarks@fortmilltimes.com
FORT MILL TOWNSHIP --
A plan for hundreds of homes at the long-time goat farm near Tega Cay is past its final hurdle.

Last week, York County Council gave final approval to a 61-acre rezoning at 2565 Hwy. 160 West. Applicant M/I Homes submitted a planned development proposal on behalf of three property owners. According to the county, Cameron Creek would include just more than 400 residences, about half single-family and half multi-family.

“Ultimately, we are pleased with the rezoning approval and that this is significant interim milestone within our overall due diligence efforts,” said Tamara Lynch, spokesperson for M/I Homes.

Cameron Creek will be the second company project along Hwy. 160 West, just outside of Tega Cay. The company broke ground at Hawk’s Creek this summer on what will be 159 home sites, all with three to five bedrooms and 2,000 or more square feet. Homes will range from about $260,000 to $340,000.

The company also is working in the Steele Creek area with both Creekshire and Huntington Forest.

Council also passed the first of three needed readings last week on a more than 10-acre rezoning at 1876 Gold Hill Road. Former Tega Cay Mayor Bob Runde owns the property across from Palmetto Plantation, but plans to sell it by year’s end to Eastwood Homes. An Eastwood representative said last week there would be 40 to 50 townhomes built there.

County Councilman Michael Johnson, whose district includes that part of Fort Mill, said he intends to meet with Eastwood prior to second or third reading votes on the plan. He has concerns, but wanted to give a favorable first reading to move the process forward as he forms a decision.

“In reviewing this I am very concerned about the staff comments that the road system is not adequate to support this rezoning,” Johnson said.

The county staff and planning commission both recommended approval of the plan. Council next meets Oct. 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
None of this is unexpected, because no one seems to know what Fort Mill is, and ought to be.

Ft Mill's Mayor had said something about development following "Smart Growth" principles - which means lots of dense, tract housing, and plenty of traffic.

(Don't worry folks; they're getting plenty more in tax revenue...)

Old 10-15-2013, 01:02 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
None of this is unexpected, because no one seems to know what Fort Mill is, and ought to be.

Ft Mill's Mayor had said something about development following "Smart Growth" principles - which means lots of dense, tract housing, and plenty of traffic.

(Don't worry folks; they're getting plenty more in tax revenue...)
While I agree that none of this is unexpected there does need to be some clarification in regard to "Who's on First" here.

The area in question (the soon to be gone goat farm on Hwy 160W and the former Mayor of TC/Runde's property on Gold Hill Rd.) is located in the Township of Fort Mill.

So this is actually our York County Council members/politicians at work here....not The Town of Fort Mill.

Mayor Funderburk (over the Town of Fort Mill) has actually seen the least amount of growth in this area.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
400-home subdivision near Tega Cay gets final approval
By John Marks - jmarks@fortmilltimes.com
FORT MILL TOWNSHIP --
A plan for hundreds of homes at the long-time goat farm near Tega Cay is past its final hurdle.

Last week, York County Council gave final approval to a 61-acre rezoning at 2565 Hwy. 160 West. Applicant M/I Homes submitted a planned development proposal on behalf of three property owners. According to the county, Cameron Creek would include just more than 400 residences, about half single-family and half multi-family.

“Ultimately, we are pleased with the rezoning approval and that this is significant interim milestone within our overall due diligence efforts,” said Tamara Lynch, spokesperson for M/I Homes.

Cameron Creek will be the second company project along Hwy. 160 West, just outside of Tega Cay. The company broke ground at Hawk’s Creek this summer on what will be 159 home sites, all with three to five bedrooms and 2,000 or more square feet. Homes will range from about $260,000 to $340,000.

The company also is working in the Steele Creek area with both Creekshire and Huntington Forest.

Council also passed the first of three needed readings last week on a more than 10-acre rezoning at 1876 Gold Hill Road. Former Tega Cay Mayor Bob Runde owns the property across from Palmetto Plantation, but plans to sell it by year’s end to Eastwood Homes. An Eastwood representative said last week there would be 40 to 50 townhomes built there.

County Councilman Michael Johnson, whose district includes that part of Fort Mill, said he intends to meet with Eastwood prior to second or third reading votes on the plan. He has concerns, but wanted to give a favorable first reading to move the process forward as he forms a decision.

“In reviewing this I am very concerned about the staff comments that the road system is not adequate to support this rezoning,” Johnson said.

The county staff and planning commission both recommended approval of the plan. Council next meets Oct. 21.

If this article is correct I find this mind boggling/troubling/frustrating:

In reviewing this I am very concerned about the staff comments that the road system is not adequate to support this rezoning,” Johnson said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MICHAEL JOHNSON.....This is HIS district but HE acts like he has no idea what is happening here.

The article reads that JOHNSON is very concerned about the staff comments that the road system is not adequate to support this rezoning.....Well, DUH!!!....yet he goes ahead and gives his approval?

Geez...there's people that live in Charlotte and even they can tell you that these roads are a mess but JOHNSON seems to have NO Clue about it?

MICHAEL JOHNSON.....YOUR FIRED!!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post

MICHAEL JOHNSON.....This is HIS district but HE acts like he has no idea what is happening here.

The article reads that JOHNSON is very concerned about the staff comments that the road system is not adequate to support this rezoning.....Well, DUH!!!....yet he goes ahead and gives his approval?

Geez...there's people that live in Charlotte and even they can tell you that these roads are a mess but JOHNSON seems to have NO Clue about it?

MICHAEL JOHNSON.....YOUR FIRED!!
Michael Johnson lives in Tega Cay doesn't he? He has to drive that road to get out of Tega Cay every day right?

Old 10-17-2013, 07:58 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Mayor Funderburk (over the Town of Fort Mill) has actually seen the least amount of growth in this area.
You know far more about the area than I do. This is in no way sarcasm; it's a fact...you do . Therefore, it's possible that I am missing something, with respect to the local area.

The main reason I mentioned Mayor Funderburk, is that I read an article in which he approved of certain development(s), as they followed "Smart Growth principles."

Smart Growth = tract housing.

Tract housing = congestion.

Again, being a newcomer, maybe I'm missing something

There is some development around what used to be a proposed amusement park...the lack of infrastructure planning is scary.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 PM
NDL

Interesting quote:

"As you can imagine, I spend the majority of my time answering questions about our roads. I think we can all agree that traffic is bad and everyone is frustrated by our inability to make quick improvements. I share your concerns and have met with County staff to get a timeline for when we will begin to see significant improvements to our roads. The first major road completion will be in the Summer of 2015 when the Hubert Graham connector should be completed. This road will connect Tega Cay with Hwy 160. Two intersections should be improved by the Summer of 2016. Both the Gold Hill/Hwy 160 intersection as well as the I-77/Gold Hill intersection improvements will be completed by that summer. These improvements will go a long way to lowering our drive times and easing congestion."

E-Letter // Councilman Michael Johnson

Old 10-18-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Michael Johnson lives in Tega Cay doesn't he? He has to drive that road to get out of Tega Cay every day right?
Yes, he does reside in Tega Cay and one would think that he would have noticed at some time or another the traffic issues that exist around Hwy 160W and Gold Hill Rd.

Mr. Johnson also happens to be the founding partner of Michael Johnson, P.C. & Associates, a law firm located in Fort Mill practicing in commercial and residential real estate law.

District One

Johnson prepares for County Council service in January | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC

Old 10-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
You know far more about the area than I do. This is in no way sarcasm; it's a fact...you do . Therefore, it's possible that I am missing something, with respect to the local area.

The main reason I mentioned Mayor Funderburk, is that I read an article in which he approved of certain development(s), as they followed "Smart Growth principles."

Smart Growth = tract housing.

Tract housing = congestion.

Again, being a newcomer, maybe I'm missing something

There is some development around what used to be a proposed amusement park...the lack of infrastructure planning is scary.
Thanks...but whatever I know I just attribute to living here over 10 years now, having an affinity for local history (which includes learning about the word Annexing, along with picking CarolinaWoman's brain every once in a while.)

As far as you, or anyone else who happens to be a newcomer, or just wants to learn more about the area....The Town of Fort Mill has quite a few very informative links on their website that you might check out.

Here are a few:

This tells about annexing, and the fact that out of more than 50,000 residents (and growing), only about 20 percent of these residents actually live within the corporate limits of the Town of Fort Mill (the rest reside in Fort Mill Township), and it also shows a map of Fort Mill's Town Limit.

http://www.fortmillsc.org/client_res...n%20limits.pdf

http://www.fortmillsc.org/client_res...01-01-2013.pdf

Town of Fort Mill : Building & Codes

In regard to the article you speak of above I do believe I know which one you are referring to but the following...
Quote:
."There is some development around what used to be a proposed amusement park...the lack of infrastructure planning is scary"
.....I have no idea what amusement park you are speaking of?

Old 10-20-2013, 09:02 PM
NDL

Thanks for the helpful and informative links

The amusement park I referenced:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_USA

Scary lack of infrastructure back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties