Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 605 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I’ve searched the forum for current information about teaching in York County and haven’t seen much, so I’m hoping someone can help with some of my basic questions.
I’m an 8th grade ELA teacher in Louisiana and I’m planning on relocating to SC next summer. I’ve already applied and received my SC teaching certificate. I just need to start preparing for the job hunt. I’m curious about the specifics of teaching in the area. For example, in La. we’re fighting to get rid of our very formula, practically scripted Common Core-based curriculum our state has just recently paid a private company for. Our local counties/parishes no longer have the autonomy of writing its own curriculum that used to based on teacher input and students’ needs. We have also become locked into state testing data and teachers’ evaluations are partly based on our students’ test scores.These are a couple of the things I’m hoping to move away from.
I’ve done enough research to see that Fort Mill schools are supposed to be excellent, but I’m not counting on being able to find a job right away in Fort Mill. Does anyone know anything about the differences in the schools in Fort Mill and Rock Hill? They are the same county, I believe, so do you apply through the county or through each separate school district?
Other questions:
1. Do the schools in York County have their own curriculum? Is it based solely on common core standards? Are teachers expected to teach in lockstep with other teachers and use scripted lessons? Are teacher evaluations tied to test results?
2. How difficult is it to get a teaching position in middle school ELA? Especially for someone new to the district? I’m in my late 50s and have been teaching over 20 years. I’m also wondering if that’s going to be a drawback in my job hunt? The school district I am in is one of the the top public schools systems in Louisiana due to the location. We are basically a bedroom community for the New Orleans area so people moving into the state often prefer to live in our district for our excellent schools.
3. I would love to know things like what software is used for grades and for teachers websites. So I can familiarize myself with these. We use jpams for grades and are moving toward having a lot of class material available online through Moodle.

Any info from a current or recent teacher in the area would be greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties