Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,786 times

Advertisements

Alright, I recently moved down to Charlotte from Pittsburgh last Aug 2008. I now am researching other areas to move to that aren't so expensive and may have less crime. One area in particular that has caught my eye is Rock Hill, my only problem is that all I have found about it has been sugar coated info.

What I want to know:

Is there a racism issue in the Rock Hill area. I only ask because my family is an interracial family and if that is going to be an issue than, I might be a little hesitant to move.

Also are there any areas in particular in Rock Hill that are not the best to raise a family (I mean crime wise)

Please DON'T sugar coat any feedback I want the real deal, even if you may think its offensive I want the real deal on the area.

Thank You in Advance!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 PM

86 posts, read 190,237 times
The people who are going to look at you funny because you have an interracial family are the same people who will look at you funny because you are black. Sure there's racism here but it's not big enough of an issue to keep you from moving here.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:34 AM

116 posts, read 430,698 times
Sadly, there's racism and stupidity/ignorance everywhere you go. IMO I'd think about or at least research certain parts of Fort Mill too - because overall the crime is less. That means a lot.

The community we just moved into has a good mixture of people - both black and white and everyone (so far - again, I just got here but I think it will be good) is super friendly no matter what, all the kids of various backgrounds hang out at the pool and swim. No big deal.

I like it. The south is still the south and there's still a bit of racism as I said before - but this area at least seems to have slightly more educated and "cultured" (if you will) types of people here.

What do I know, I just got here! Nonetheless, Fort Mill is the coolest place I've lived and I've lived tons of places. lol

Old 05-03-2008, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 30,612 times
Default Rock Hill

My husband and I recently moved to Rock Hill. We are also an interracial couple. I have not noticed much of a difference, and my husband (who's black) said he's not noticed much difference, in the overall way people treat him here. If anything, he says they treat him better. There are, of course, always individuals who are racist, but in general, no more than anywhere else. The strangest thing for him has been associating with people who may have Rebel flags on their trucks - yet they do not display any obvious tendencies, so I think the old "racist vs. Southern pride" debate still rages on here!

As for housing - I have noticed that predominantly black neighborhoods don't seem to increase in value as much. It may have to do with socio-economic issues (salary) more than race, but that seems to always be the case. The crime rate is fairly low in most neighborhoods - other than a few near downtown. The areas near Crawford/Pond/Friedheim are not where I would choose to live. And the areas that are mostly rentals. But I think that's true for anywhere. If you are concerned, I would contact the police department and/or the Housing Authority - they can tell you which areas have "pockets" of crime activity to stay away from.

I happen to prefer the newer home communities (homes built in the last 10 years or so); they tend to be found on the "outskirts" of the actual city center. I don't know what price range you're looking in, but for a reference, you can get a 3/2 2-story newer home for about $130K in Rock Hill (with not a lot of land); in Fort Mill you'd get a 3/2 townhome. But you can also find homes for under $100K in some decent older neighborhoods.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chunky View Post
Alright, I recently moved down to Charlotte from Pittsburgh last Aug 2008. I now am researching other areas to move to that aren't so expensive and may have less crime. One area in particular that has caught my eye is Rock Hill, my only problem is that all I have found about it has been sugar coated info.

What I want to know:

Is there a racism issue in the Rock Hill area. I only ask because my family is an interracial family and if that is going to be an issue than, I might be a little hesitant to move.

Also are there any areas in particular in Rock Hill that are not the best to raise a family (I mean crime wise)

Please DON'T sugar coat any feedback I want the real deal, even if you may think its offensive I want the real deal on the area.

Thank You in Advance!!!!!!
I know you didn't ask about a church and maybe you have found one. I recommend Steele Creek Church of Charlotte there definitely is no racism at this church and it is not far from Rock Hill or Fort Mill. Can't help with the housing though. Good luck in your search!

Dunroven

Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 AM

10 posts, read 33,237 times
I can tell you that you do not want to live on Greene Street or in Boyd Hill. There are lots of nice neighborhoods in Rock Hill where an interracial family will fit right in. I was born and raised in the south and an interracial couple does not even catch my eye. Good luck and come on down!

Old 05-06-2008, 03:30 PM

38 posts, read 130,080 times
Default No problem

My parents now live in Rock Hill (we're Charlotte natives) and I don't think you'll have any problems.

Rock Hill at one time was very insular and Old South, and there are places west and south of Rock Hill in York County, and older pockets in the city itself, I might avoid. But attitudes and mores there and generally throughout the region have changed dramatically since my first memories as a kid in late 60's, and Rock Hill is included in that development.

You may want to investigate an area such as Reflection Park off Rawlinson Road or the newer subdivisions being constructed up India Hook/Mt. Gallant road area near the lake. I say that because there's been an influx of northern transplants that seem to dot those areas. My parents neighborhood reflects that and has a mixture of white, black, northern/locals and even a Philipino (sp?) family. Understand that life in Rock Hill is pretty slow.

I myself settled in Fort Mill after returning to the region from brief career stint out of state, and am glad to be south of the state line. That's kind of sad, being a product of Charlotte and CMS, but the city has changed for the worse...crime, traffic, civility, taxes and quality of governance all on a downward track.

The fatal shooting of a convenience store clerk at corner of Celanese and India Hook had people spooked, and another thug was on a recent robbery/shooting spree in Rock Hill/Ft. Mill recently. But all those young punks are in jail.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:05 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Have you considered Fort Mill. If you have kids...the Fort Mill School district is better than Rock Hill. Rock hill is nice...but not as nice as Fort Mill. Fort Mill also has a better name & image.

We did the oposite. We moved from Fort Mill to Uptown cause we wanted a more Urban environment. Fort Mill is also closer to Charlotte's conveniences. Fort Mill is more expensive...but remember you get what you pay for.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,580 times
Default ?Looking to Move to Rock Hill from Charlotte?

OK, No sugar coating!! You asked for it. We moved here 2 1/2 years ago from Charlotte thinking the housing was cheaper and being only 30 minutes from Charlotte, how different could it be? right?

Well, housing is cheaper, mostly, although there are some areas where it is quite high. Crime is lower, although on the rise according to the police dept. So much so that they cannot hire enough patrol officers to keep up with it. Also, taxes and gasoline are a lot lower.

The race question is all relative to your own interpretation. Our personal experience has been very good. Our neighborhood has several interracial families (we have two such familes living across the street, one a professional ball player) and it seems as though there are no issues, but we've heard that other neighborhoods in Rock Hill are more critical of interracial relationships.

Other significant issues that we've encountered for us, nature parks offering hiking and biking are few and far between. Cherry Park is the only park that offers that combination, and Cherry park is only a small park that offers a 1 mile track. Restaurants are plentiful if you like fast food or large chain restaurants. For any high quality restaurants you have to go to Fort Mill or Charlotte. Shopping is also limited to miniaturized versions of Penney's, Belk, Best Buy, Sears and K-mart in a miniaturized mall sporting only 3 of the five mentioned....for the other 2 you have to travel a distance.

There are, however, lots of things for kids to do. Most of the parks here are centered around kids and sporting events...soccer, baseball, softball, gymnastics, aquatics, etc. If your family is sports oriented, this could be a great place.

We found the churches here to be more difficult to become acquainted with people...not as outgoing and friendly as churches we attended in Charlotte or at home in NE Ohio (though we are not Browns fans).

You mentioned you come from the Pittsburgh area. I used to spend a lot of time in the Pittsburgh area and know it relatively well. It is a conglomeration of small towns interconnected by highways and bridges, but it has much to offer when looking at the big picture (except for the weather, of course). I see Charlotte as much the same kind of area as Pittsburgh...lots to do and a short distance to get there. Rock Hill on the other hand reminds me of Washington, Pa....somewhat isolated and much less to do.

We live in a really great neighborhood in western Rock Hill. It has a good mixture of young marrieds, young families, familes with teens as well as empty nesters like us. It's a smaller neighborhood, quiet, near the aquatic center, reasonably priced, and recently, vacated by the builder because they finished the last house.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 PM

225 posts, read 716,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Have you considered Fort Mill. If you have kids...the Fort Mill School district is better than Rock Hill. Rock hill is nice...but not as nice as Fort Mill. Fort Mill also has a better name & image.

We did the oposite. We moved from Fort Mill to Uptown cause we wanted a more Urban environment. Fort Mill is also closer to Charlotte's conveniences. Fort Mill is more expensive...but remember you get what you pay for.

GOOD LUCK!
I guess you need to take a ride out here in Rock hill, have you been to Meadowlakes Two and Laurel Creek.

Name and Image, come on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties