Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 06:36 AM

16 posts, read 38,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
The Berbers in Morocco are made of different tribes in different regions of the country in each region they have a slightly different language, traditions (like traditional costumes) and look different. My husbands is Berber. He looks like me fair skin and dark hair. His family are Berbers from around the rif valley in north east Morocco. They speak Berber, but it is not the same as the language spoken by other tribes in the country or in other North African countries. He has a freind from Algeria who is Berber, but from Algeria. Not the same. When in Morocco some time Arab/ non Berber Moroccans use to think j was Berber too just because my husband was speaking to them in Arabic and then speaking with me if a different language near them which they did not understand. He has a lot of people in his family with blond hair and greens eyes too. In other parts of Morocco like the Sahara Berber tribes have visibly much darker skin colour and look black. All Moroccans do not look the same. If you travel across Morocco outside of the high tourist areas this is a bit more obvious. Only some Moroccans speak Berber and are Berber. The rest speak Arabic. The Berber language is actually slowing dying out because the the language is mainly taught from parents to children. Children are taught Arabic in school, what Arabic tv, pray in Arabic and speak Arabic outside the home. The kids of his brothers and sisters understand Berber, but are not as fluent and will likely end up marrying people that are not Berber and their kids will not know the language. I think the country might be making efforts to try and not loose these languages, but not sure how. When visiting my in laws at home they speak berber and only outside the home they speak Arabic.
I could not have expressed my thoughts better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 06:42 AM

my self
Attached Thumbnails
Are Berber people white or black or a distinct races (Berber Race)?-snapshot_20160202_3.jpg   Are Berber people white or black or a distinct races (Berber Race)?-snapshot_20160123.jpg  

Old 02-07-2016, 06:45 AM

in this thread people thought I was scottish
https://www.city-data.com/forum/world...l#post42407216

Old 02-07-2016, 10:15 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnlvr View Post
my self
Which part of Morocco are you from? Light pigmentation is common among Riffians.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Which part of Morocco are you from? Light pigmentation is common among Riffians.
northern morocco not exactly rif but close to it fez and rabat my father is from andalusian fassi descent and northern moroccan descent and my mother is from marrakech , nevertheless she is very fair blonde and has the irish skin and her facial features (nose etc...) look very european and thin my father on the other hand would pass for a spanish black hair dark eyes light yellow skin

Old 02-07-2016, 07:07 PM
AFP

Quote:
northern morocco not exactly rif but close to it fez and rabat my father is from andalusian fassi descent and northern moroccan descent and my mother is from marrakech , nevertheless she is very fair blonde and has the irish skin and her facial features (nose etc...) look very european and thin my father on the other hand would pass for a spanish black hair dark eyes light yellow skin
Do you know when your family left Andalusia? Were they Moriscos?

Old 02-07-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Do you know when your family left Andalusia? Were they Moriscos?
I don't know but there are some famIly that are well known to be from andalusIa (most orIgInal people from fez and rabat) lIke bouzoubaa , chraIbI , lahlou etc... If you Imply by moriscos moors from spaIn, the boudary between moors and chrIstIans In term of ethnIcIty at that time ( muslim explusion 1400's) Is a bIt blur because they heavIly IntermIxed wIth each other, and a lot of chrIstIans ended up In morocco sImply because they were suspected to be heretIc or muslIm. There are also jews, some muslIm fassI famIlIes In morocco are belIeved to be of jew descent, that Is the case for Instance of benchekroun and all the famIlIes that begIn wIth ben etc... and my poInt Is that before there was any arab InvasIon of spaIn there was vIrtually no black blood In berbers. only after the arab InvasIon the admIxture wIth sub saharIans began.
some studIes say (I'm not sure about the veracIty of thIs claIm) that the orIgInal r1b found In most celts entered europe not trough the east but from morocco and from there went to spaIn brItanny , brItaIn etc....

Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Other nations has always been good about stealing Africa's identity, history, and resources and using them for their own benefit. No other continent on earth has been raided of more resources, and history more than Africa. The truth will always prevail, no matter how much others try to rewrite or deny history.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Other nations has always been good about stealing Africa's identity, history, and resources and using them for their own benefit. No other continent on earth has been raided of more resources, and history more than Africa. The truth will always prevail, no matter how much others try to rewrite or deny history.
the world Is stealIng afrIcans and afrIcans are stealIng the world
what's the thIng wIth blacks and afrIcans being the vIctIms you should kIck your ass If you want to be on the top, the truth Is that no one Is goIng to gIve you lIberty or prosperIty you should fIght for It not by screamIng for It but by doIng actual IntellIgent work If you can't then just pull back. I'm not ImplyIng that you can't I'm just sayIng that you should.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:04 AM
AFP

Quote:
I don't know but there are some famIly that are well known to be from andalusIa (most orIgInal people from fez and rabat) lIke bouzoubaa , chraIbI , lahlou etc... If you Imply by moriscos moors from spaIn, the boudary between moors and chrIstIans In term of ethnIcIty at that time ( muslim explusion 1400's) Is a bIt blur because they heavIly IntermIxed wIth each other, and a lot of chrIstIans ended up In morocco sImply because they were suspected to be heretIc or muslIm. There are also jews, some muslIm fassI famIlIes In morocco are belIeved to be of jew descent, that Is the case for Instance of benchekroun and all the famIlIes that begIn wIth ben etc... and my poInt Is that before there was any arab InvasIon of spaIn there was vIrtually no black blood In berbers. only after the arab InvasIon the admIxture wIth sub saharIans began.
some studIes say (I'm not sure about the veracIty of thIs claIm) that the orIgInal r1b found In most celts entered europe not trough the east but from morocco and from there went to spaIn brItanny , brItaIn etc....
The different groups(Christians, Muslims, and Jews) also mixed in Portugal and Spain it appears though that most Muslims were native and that the Jewish genetic contribution in the current populations is greater than the north African.

R1b spread through Europe during the bronze age from the Steppe 4,500 years ago and with them came horses, bronze weaponry, and Indo-European languages but that is off-topic.

There is evidence that Berbers much earlier than the invasion of 711 had migrated from North Africa to the Iberian peninsula although the genetic contribution is quite minor peaking at approximately 5% in the western part.

Genetic population studies support your point that prior to the Arab invasion Sub-Saharan African admixture in Berbers was virtually nil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa