Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 06:38 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,760,745 times

Advertisements

This is silly PR. IBM's revenue is barely growing at the rate of inflation so there shouldn't be any net hiring. They're just saying "AI" like they said "analytics" and "big data" in the past to make their dinosaur company seem relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 06:45 PM

43,324 posts, read 18,440,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
This is silly PR. IBM's revenue is barely growing at the rate of inflation so there shouldn't be any net hiring. They're just saying "AI" like they said "analytics" and "big data" in the past to make their dinosaur company seem relevant.
IBM is coming into the AI game rather late and they are using OpenAI and don't have an AI chip yet.
And they just fired almost 4000 employees a few months ago.

Nvidia is the leading company right now for AI processors.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:49 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,760,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
IBM is coming into the AI game rather late and they are using OpenAI and don't have an AI chip yet.
And they just fired almost 4000 employees a few months ago.

Nvidia is the leading company right now for AI processors.
Right, and NVIDIA has 6x the market cap IBM has. IBM is a 1970s has been using the technology du jour to sound relevant.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:51 PM

3,658 posts, read 1,616,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Corporations are going to adopt AI either way. Once a competitor is using AI then it forces the hand of the rest of the industry. There is no way a company can justify keeping 5000-6000 extra employees around that other companies have replaced with AI. All that will get them is a falling stock price and in the USA the stock price is ALL that matters to coporations.

Our economy is not set up for AI or advances in technology that eliminate jobs without adding others to replace them. Every innovation has led to more job opportunities but with AI it's not looking good so far.
That's what happened 30 years ago when companies needed to get computers or soon get left way behind. Some workers were displaced but it wasn't a shock to the economy, in fact it was a boost. Now companies needed an IT person or team. And business operations became much more efficient.

I think AI will be the same. There will displacement in certain types of businesses that AI is very good for. But I think only a dent in service sector. It will assist workers like mechanics, not replace them. What is AI good for at a restaurant? Unless it's robot cooks. When AI robots are affordable, things are really going to change.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Right, and NVIDIA has 6x the market cap IBM has. IBM is a 1970s has been using the technology du jour to sound relevant.
IBM is bogged down by their own bureaucracy.

They keep all the management types and fire all the programmers and then offshore the work.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:59 PM

29,611 posts, read 14,748,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
That's what happened 30 years ago when companies needed to get computers or soon get left way behind. Some workers were displaced but it wasn't a shock to the economy, in fact it was a boost. Now companies needed an IT person or team. And business operations became much more efficient.

I think AI will be the same. There will displacement in certain types of businesses that AI is very good for. But I think only a dent in service sector. It will assist workers like mechanics, not replace them. What is AI good for at a restaurant? Unless it's robot cooks. When AI robots are affordable, things are really going to change.
Like someone upthread stated, it will take over the skilled high paying jobs.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:00 PM

29,611 posts, read 14,748,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
IBM is bogged down by their own bureaucracy.

They keep all the management types and fire all the programmers and then offshore the work.
Typical business model...

Old 05-02-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post

AI could replace an entire accounting dept or billing dept as example.
AI could be used for reservation systems, inventory systems

Robotics is used for repetitive tasks
AI can go beyond that

Once the two are combined then you will have "robot cooks" in restaurants.

OpenAI was used in a robotic hand and was able to solve a Rubik's cube.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:05 PM

10,166 posts, read 7,823,475 times
AI is very scary. I find it very left leaning. I asked it if a woman can have a penis and it said yes.
I asked it if a man can be a woman one week and later be a man the next week and it stated it had nothing to do with biology but just the way you feel. That's crazy.

Look at this page, top pic, of William and Harry reunion at the Coronation. Look at William crying from happiness to see his brother. It's not a real pic but was generated from AI. You tell it what you want to create and it does it and it looks real. We won't be able to believe anything we see anymore. Photoshop was bad enough but at least most times you could tell it was fake. This produced by AI looks very real.

and now you can add a person's voice to say what you want it to say. This is too much manipulation.

AI is too left leaning and we don't need that in our lives.

https://medium.com/@TheJasperWhisper...n-d84673a42432

I also asked AI why Hinton quit and got the below reply..he too thinks it is dangerous:

Yes, Geoffrey Hinton, a Canadian computer scientist and a University of Toronto professor, has quit his job at Google AI. He is considered one of the fathers of deep learning, a type of artificial intelligence that is trained on large amounts of data to perform tasks such as image recognition and natural language processing.

Hinton said he quit to speak out about the dangers of AI, and in part regrets his contribution to the field. He is concerned about the potential for AI to be used for malicious purposes, such as creating deepfakes or developing autonomous weapons.

Hinton is not the only one who is concerned about the dangers of AI. A number of other experts have also warned that AI could pose a threat to humanity if it is not developed responsibly.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
AI is very scary. I find it left leaning. I asked it if a woman can have a penis and it said yes.
I asked it if a man can be a woman one week and later be a man the next week and it stated it had nothing to do with biology but just the way you feel. That's crazy.

Look at his page, top pic, of William and Harry reunion at the Coronation. Look at William crying from happiness to see his brother. It's not a real pic but was generated from AI. You tell it what you want to create and it does it and it looks real. We won't be able to believe anything we see anymore. Photoshop was bad enough but at least most times you could tell it was fake. This produced by AI looks very real.

AI is too left leaning and we don't need that in our lives.

https://medium.com/@TheJasperWhisper...n-d84673a42432

I also asked AI why Hinton quit and got the below reply..he too thinks it is dangerous:

Yes, Geoffrey Hinton, a Canadian computer scientist and a University of Toronto professor, has quit his job at Google AI. He is considered one of the fathers of deep learning, a type of artificial intelligence that is trained on large amounts of data to perform tasks such as image recognition and natural language processing.

Hinton said he quit to speak out about the dangers of AI, and in part regrets his contribution to the field. He is concerned about the potential for AI to be used for malicious purposes, such as creating deepfakes or developing autonomous weapons.

Hinton is not the only one who is concerned about the dangers of AI. A number of other experts have also warned that AI could pose a threat to humanity if it is not developed responsibly.
We do not have responsible governments...and I mean that globally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI