Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:36 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Well folks, our self declared 100% gay Italian seems to have shifted his search to MS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I guess they don't have accents in MS..

Old 07-20-2010, 05:30 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I guess they don't have accents in MS..
haha

Old 07-20-2010, 05:32 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennk1425 View Post
I'll be no help to you, but the deep accent annoys me too. "It done broke!" "Where you at?" And down here, it doesn't even come from uneducated people! They can have a college education and still speak like that! *shudder*

That's not an accent. That's just poor english skills.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennk1425 View Post
I'll be no help to you, but the deep accent annoys me too. "It done broke!" "Where you at?" And down here, it doesn't even come from uneducated people! They can have a college education and still speak like that! *shudder*
Bother to listen and you will hear the rest - "it has gone broke", "where are you at".

On the other hand - how about "I will be OF no help ...":>)

Old 07-21-2010, 07:26 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,922 times
Unfortunately, language skills all across the country are going, gone. I hear incorrect English all the time, even by national reporters. For example, The "ly" is rarely used these days on many words such as "he ran quick". Should be "quickly" .There are regional differences with expressions that I think are ok but the incorrect use of words is everywhere and growing. I remember my mother saying the word "ain't" wasn't in the dictionary so we were not allowed to use it. Well, I believe it is now.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
It looks like I may be alone in this, but I think people make too much of "correct" grammar and vocab. To me, the modern purpose of language rules is to have a common understanding between different members of a common region or society. Is there anyone who really doesn't understand "ain't" or when you put a preposition at the end of a sentence. Language is constantly evolving and while it's important to have common rules, when does something go from being a dialect to mainstream acceptable usage. It seems if everyone understands it, there is nothing wrong with it being a part of the official language rules. It seems it would then go from being "incorrect" to "correct". Society and language are not static, but ever-evolving. We do not speak with the same vocab and grammar rules as 100 years ago, let alone during, say, Shakespeare or Canterbury Tales times. What we speak today is an "incorrect" and inconsistent hybrid of differing languages, rules, and standards.
In addition, y'all is just a logical missing concept in current "correct" English. Assuming it's actually used as a plural you (which it seems it isn't always).

Old 07-21-2010, 09:41 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
bluebeard - right on - "y'all" can be singular or plural; "all y'all" is plural.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:11 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
It looks like I may be alone in this, but I think people make too much of "correct" grammar and vocab. To me, the modern purpose of language rules is to have a common understanding between different members of a common region or society. Is there anyone who really doesn't understand "ain't" or when you put a preposition at the end of a sentence. Language is constantly evolving and while it's important to have common rules, when does something go from being a dialect to mainstream acceptable usage. It seems if everyone understands it, there is nothing wrong with it being a part of the official language rules. It seems it would then go from being "incorrect" to "correct". Society and language are not static, but ever-evolving. We do not speak with the same vocab and grammar rules as 100 years ago, let alone during, say, Shakespeare or Canterbury Tales times. What we speak today is an "incorrect" and inconsistent hybrid of differing languages, rules, and standards.
In addition, y'all is just a logical missing concept in current "correct" English. Assuming it's actually used as a plural you (which it seems it isn't always).
I'm a huge fan of proper English. English teachers are provided through public education for free, there's no excuse for the way some people talk.

With that said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with, "y'all." Now, using, "ain't," is completely different. It just oozes lack of sophistication in most cases.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:56 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Now, using, "ain't," is completely different. It just oozes lack of sophistication in most cases.
Well then I guess I'm unsophisticated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama