Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:21 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times

Advertisements

It isn't Alaska, but Alaska's real close!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 04:11 PM

200 posts, read 718,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
About the only thing I miss from my time down south in "L.A." (lower Alabama) is boiled peanuts. There would almost always be someone selling them (hot and wet in little paper sacks) out on the side of the road when we'd get off base and go out driving.

For those who have never had them, they're regular peanuts that are still in the shell (sometimes still a bit green) that have been boiled in salt water. They end up with a salty, almost meaty taste and a weird, silky texture that's not quite slimy. You can get them in cans in the stores down there, but they're not as good as the freshly boiled ones.

Kind of an aquired taste, I guess...but from time to time I get a craving for some.
Boiled peanuts are my all-time favorite! They are wonderful! Love 'em

Old 09-24-2007, 07:32 AM

33 posts, read 57,368 times
In 1949, I wrote eight letters to different chambers of commerce in Alaska, asking about opportunities for employment in the radio tech business. I received a long night telegram fromn the CAA in Anchorage, advising me that there was a job open in King Salmon, as a technician in electronic aids to air navigation.

They said to get a chest Xray, and be prepared to leave Vermont in two weeks. I flew to Anchorage, and then on the weekly flight to King Salmon. The two years there, and the one year in Bettles turned out to be the stuff of life long memories.

These fifty years later, I wrote about them in a book, "Cheechako On Wings", as a legacy for my grandson, Conor Carrigan.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:46 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times
Wow, I bet you have a lot of neat stories. Any faves you'd like to share? I'd love to here 'em, and I'm sure everyone else would too!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:37 AM

35 posts, read 88,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepenartist View Post
Boiled peanuts are my all-time favorite! They are wonderful! Love 'em
Nothing quite like freshly boiled peanuts! Can't you buy peanuts in the shell and boil them yourself?

Although you lose that roadside appeal

Old 09-25-2007, 08:42 AM

33 posts, read 57,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Wow, I bet you have a lot of neat stories. Any faves you'd like to share? I'd love to here 'em, and I'm sure everyone else would too!
I hesitate to repeat them here, since I am now a very senior citizen, and I might err due to senior-moment effects.

But, if you will go to Trafford.com, and type in the book title you will get access to excerpts. The three years that I spent there, during Territorial days, and the wonderful people whom I knew are among the greatest treasures of my life.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:14 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Default A Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker View Post
I hesitate to repeat them here, since I am now a very senior citizen, and I might err due to senior-moment effects.
They say the second thing to go with old age is your memory. I forget what was first.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 PM

18 posts, read 77,474 times
Thumbs down Blackberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Blackberry bushes! I want some! I don't know of anyone here that grows them. Otherwise...geez I don't know...a camera?

P.S. Serious...bring me a blackberry bush!
Blackberries grow wild here in Mississippi. Blackberries actually grow along the ground, ankle high, on a thorny vine.
Snakes love to hide where blackberries grow.

Tired of the heat & humidity!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:06 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
Blackberries grow wild in WA too---just got done picking the season's last. I have several freezer bags for the winter too.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:57 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
We don't have snakes in Alaska! So I just still really want some blackberry bushes! Cobolt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska