Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 05:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
We don't have snakes in Alaska! So I just still really want some blackberry bushes! Cobolt!
Excellent wedding gift, Cobolt...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,757 times
[quote=travelmaniac;1787191]Rance I'll bring you blackberry bushes next spring from South Carolina,I made blackberry jam and sweet blackberry wine this year-yum!!! I vacationed there last year for a month in the kenai and will be back next year for sure.Also about grits, does anyone eat them there? Seems like it would be a good breakfast for those cold mornings that you all have.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:57 PM

22 posts, read 78,664 times
I worked three summers in Skagway as a tour attendant for a helicopter company. I loved Alaska summers....sooooo beautiful and green and clean. I have never spend a winter...that would make me brave.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:23 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
[quote=travelmaniac;1787226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmaniac View Post
Rance I'll bring you blackberry bushes next spring from South Carolina,I made blackberry jam and sweet blackberry wine this year-yum!!! I vacationed there last year for a month in the kenai and will be back next year for sure.Also about grits, does anyone eat them there? Seems like it would be a good breakfast for those cold mornings that you all have.
I never cared for grits, but maybe they are an aquired taste, like maltomeal. Several resturants do serve them though so you wont do without.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:34 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,178,594 times
[quote=travelmaniac;1787226]
Quote:
Rance I'll bring you blackberry bushes next spring from South Carolina,I made blackberry jam and sweet blackberry wine this year-yum!!! I vacationed there last year for a month in the kenai and will be back next year for sure.Also about grits, does anyone eat them there? Seems like it would be a good breakfast for those cold mornings that you all have.
Transplanted southerners and semisoutherners(me) eat grits!
Arctic you just need to have them prepared correctly. Yumm!

Couldn't find the right kind in the stores here so every now and again my family or friends will send me a box! Just got one last week!

Old 10-20-2007, 11:37 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
[quote=GoddessofRandomThoughts;1787596]
Quote:

Transplanted southerners and semisoutherners(me) eat grits!
Arctic you just need to have them prepared correctly. Yumm!

Couldn't find the right kind in the stores here so every now and again my family or friends will send me a box! Just got one last week!
IS this like rice? Short, medium and long grain? What is the difference in grits? time spent in the box?

Old 10-21-2007, 02:13 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,409 times
Default the good ones have cheese

The way you can tell good grits is that they have cheese in them when they're ready to eat.

And for that extra potent artery hit, deep fried in patties....yum!

Is there anything you can't eat deep fried? You certainly couldn't tell by perusing the food vendor aisles at the typical state fair.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:49 PM

103 posts, read 353,124 times
Red face How I came to AK - several times

Well, having grown up on Puget Sound, AK was always kind of close.

The first time, in 1990, I got hired by a company in Seattle and flown to Dutch Harbor in December where I joined a small factory trawler, fishing for pollock, cod, sole, and rockfish in the Bering Sea and northern Gulf of Alaska for several months - long hours and low pay.

Then, in 1992, I was commercially diving for sea cucumbers and urchins in Washington, and decided to try the cuke fishery in Southeast - October and November - I had an old leaky wet suit, and the boat I was diving on was so small I remember stripping down naked on the back deck in sub-freezing temperatures and a gale, dunking the suit in the water, sliming up with conditioner all over my body, and sliding into that miserably cold suit- then spending 6 hours under water - peeing in my suit to stay warm. I did that for a few years . . .

2004 -I went to Dillingham after my dad talked me into buying a setnet permit for salmon fishing in Bristol Bay - hard work - I will not go into detail except to say that 1 hr of sleep in 24 is not too bad.

2006 Hired on as a hydrographic survey technician aboard a NOAA ship. I was flown to Kodiak and we left for points west. Later, we came back to the land of trees and I got drunk in Cordova. I got fired, and decided to stay

Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 AM

41 posts, read 188,092 times
Default How I got here

Well: in 1988, I was going broke fishing Dog Fish (sharks) in Puget Sound Washington. Borrowed $7,500 from Arrowac Fisheries Bellingham, and took off. It was disastrous.

So, 65 miles SW of Yakutat, I'd lost half my long line gear, and the other half was wasn't coming back. Lose that gear, and I'm out of business. For some reason, looked to the sky and said "God, if I get my gear back, I'll give $500 to the little church in Sand Point.

Got the gear back, and I keep my promises.

So, fished over to Dutch, came back to Sand Point, gave the church $500, paid the crew, paid a year's worth of moorage and next year's boat insurance, and then was too broke to leave town. You don't walk off this island.

So, anyway, this place is so convenient to the grounds, not 100 miles to good fishing, with places to run to and hide behind, and such a good harbor, that I just stayed, living on the boat as I'd done for decades.

Eventually bought a shack in Trailer Town for $7,500, a real fixer-upper, it's half fixed (at least has a new roof and insulatiion), got spuds and vegies from the back yard, have two dogs who love me, a number of good friends, couple of enemies, and am content.

Just wish I could get better blooms from my Hollyhocks.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:43 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Rance,

I was hiking the other day by some blackberry bushes and thought of you. They're all dried up now, but I thought of you anyway. Is there any way to transport those things and have them grow where you are? If so, I would be more than happy to bring you a little contraband blackberry bush next year! Whatcha think? Can I sneak it on ALaska AIrlines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska