Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times

Advertisements

I think it would be really interesting to hear how everyone ended up here. (Alaska, not city-data ) Unless you're a native, it's not like you can say that your family's been here for ever and ever, so pretty much everyone has a story.

I'll start. My mom came to visit my family that was already up here for her senior trip after she graduated from HS. She thought it was a great place and very "adventurous", so after she graduated from college she dragged my dad onto a ferry and moved up here. The end.

Your turn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 12:19 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
My Dad ran away from the farm back in MN. He got drunk with 3 buddies and they drove up here, basically leaving my Mom to fend for herself and 3 young kids. Dad stayed...his buddies left. About a year later he flew my Mom and my 2 brothers up. We lived in Anch for 6 months into spring and moved to Sterling. It was a major change for me. Farm life to living on a homestead 20 miles from the nearest town in the backwoods of southcentral AK. I still thank my Dad to this day for running away from the farm.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,609 times
Default wife's idea

Actually, the first time we moved up there it was my wife's idea. She'd been to Fairbanks when she was drilling with her Army Reserve unit, and when we had a chance to move there with her job we were saying...why not?

Now that we've been away for a couple years, I'm pretty sure that we're moving back just to shut me up about how we never should have left.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:43 AM

47 posts, read 289,397 times
My Dad came up to Fort Rich in 1969-1971 and would always talk about how much he missed Alaska. I always listened intently whenever he talked about fishing and couldn't wait until I got the chance. While I was in college my parents got a job offer to work in the bush and they took it. I luckily got a chance to come up during one summer break and fell in love. I was so miserable when I went back to school I dropped out with only a year and a half left to go and moved up. Of course UAA didn't measure up and I had to leave to finish school (that was the longest year in my life), but I made it back and have only left (vacation) once.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,780 times
I was born here! Welcome!
Dad came up after WWII, Mom and her first husband drove the ALCAN in 1949 with their best friends.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 25,703 times
It is my earliest memory. I remember wolves howling. Crisp cool nights seeing your breath in the air as smoke. Sparkling nights skys. Snow everywhere. Mouse walking through town,in your yard. I no longer live in alaska but would love to move back there. A daughter of a hunter and pilot and architec. The things a girl has to indure.Sleding with my brother. With anything we could find. For example shoes with no soles,garbadge bags,inner toobs. We'd sled all the way down to diamond high on a winding road that went down hill,if we wiped out and were hurt we'd laugh soo hard till we weren't hurt anymore. I would love to move back. I don't know where to live though,i read there news there alot and there seems to be just as much crime there as florida. I know this,i wish i would have stayed. For my education. The schools are soo superior to the ones in the south. The colleges offer soo much more in helping someone who wants to go to school and learn. I really like helping people and i love animals. But i am not experienced with firearms nor am i a bush girl. I love the mountains. My dad used to take me flying. I was not allowed to go into the woods,period. I miss the beautifull sky there. The caskading flowers covering a mountain top in the summer where we'd pick blueberries. I use to beable to gut a fish. My tomboy left me when i came to the south. We'd catch it,skin it,ect and grill it right there,and leave the fish if you see a bear dad would say and tell me right away. When the lights go down on the city reminds me of anchorage. It is amazing how such short years can leave an impression of a lifetime for a dreamer like me. Apart of who i am today. Oh mt. denali how i miss you. I wish i could come this summer,mabey. I saw lightning once while in alaska. Guess i see that all the timehere in a magnatude of such i believe the indians use to stand in it to get regenerated as the legends say. I love the sun the moon and the stars. I love the cool clean fresh air and the cool clean fresh water unlike ever seen or touched in this life time of mine anywhere else. Course i haven't been to iceland or denmark yet either. Echoes of laughter playing in the snow with my brother. My best friend. I miss you alaska. i miss you soo. My home in my heart. Downtown anch still have the train in the park? Still have the grizzly bear in the airport? Where is a safe place to live and go to school? Does alaska have still grants to go to school there? I don't have to ask about the bears. Dad used to bring them home and gut them right on the kitchen table,oh soo grose. I did not pick it up thank goodness. I never wanted to go hunting,wouldn't have been allowed anyways. I remember the church i was babtized in. I remember the lake in front of diamond high that my brother saved my life twice while i fell threw in the winter while we were playing and walking across the lake. He is my hero,now with god. I miss him soo. I remember log cabins. I love log cabins. My dream home one day.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:07 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
Dad and husband both came up with the military.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Denali View Post
Does alaska have still grants to go to school there?
There are scholarships, but a lot of them are merit, not need based, and you have to be straight out of an alaskan high school to get a lot of them, like the UA scholars program. Resident tuition is pretty good though.

Denali, you really need to come home. Get on a plane and get up here, no excuses.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:56 PM

18 posts, read 77,474 times
Question Any Information on Mat-Su area Alaska

If you were to bring something with you to Alaska when you move, What would you bring? Something thats not easily available there, like furniture, food or electronics. My family plan a life changing move to the Mat-Su area from the Gulf Coast Mississippi. Thanks,

SOOOOO TIRED OF THE HEAT & HUMIDITY

Old 08-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Seahorses. It sounds weird, but it's true. Aquarium fish can be difficult to get ahold of in AK, particularly rarer stuff like ponies.
I'm sure you were looking for something a little more... general than that. I can't think of anything, though. You can really get anything you want up here, you just have to be willing to pay more for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska