Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:01 AM

47 posts, read 150,298 times

Advertisements

I came to Alaska via the US Army.

My father was a geologist, and did the field-work for his MSc in the Panhandle. My parents told me that he'd taken a lot of photos/slides when he was there, but they all got lost when we moved once, and I never saw them. I do have a small glass vial, with some gold dust inside, that he panned while there.

I enlisted for what we called "three hots 'n a cot". The recruiter asked me what I'd been doing with myself since high school, and I replied that I'd hitchhiked through every state, other than Hawaii and Alaska. He said the Army "ain't no picnic", and asked me if I wanted to go to Alaska. "Hell, yes!" I answered, so they sent me to Ft. Ord, CA for basic and advanced infantry training, and then to Ft. Richardson. That was 1/72 through 1/74.

Now, I'm returning. After 25 years in Israel, I moved back to the US at the end of June 2004 and, without a college degree, it's been impossible to get work in my field (computer systems administration), even though I've got 20 years experience. Go figure. But I continued to search online for job-offerings, and finally found a "tailor-made" position at UAF. I applied for it, and after a couple of months, they made me an offer! I start December 1st!

I don't consider myself an "outdoors" guy any more. Sure, I bicycle a lot (went "car-free" this past January), but this South Florida heat is way over-the-top. I haven't been hunting or fishing since I was last in Alaska, and doubt that I will again.

For me, it's returning to an academic environment (I worked six years at Tel-Aviv University), to "good" weather, and leaving (hopefully) the incredible materialism/consumerism of South Florida (think "Miami Vice", enhanced).

I'll be arriving next Thursday... film at eleven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:16 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,584,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepenartist View Post
Boiled peanuts are my all-time favorite! They are wonderful! Love 'em
I never had them till I moved south.. loved them.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:22 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
i took a job.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM

12 posts, read 31,647 times
I would've said to bring anything not found in a small town, but teh internets solved that one. I would've said heavy items, cuz they'll cost you more in shipping, but they will also cost you in moving them. I guess I'd have to say anything large that you have extra room for in your truck/ shipping container...?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 AM

12 posts, read 31,647 times
And BTW, I moved to AK from NJ in 1981 when my father was sent to pastor a small church there by a Christian missionary program.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 AM

52 posts, read 98,397 times
I've spent two of the last three years in Kansas, and one in Iraq, so when it came time to reenlist, I jumped at the chance to get out of the mid-west. I'm orriginally from the Puget Sound, Anacortes, and didn't quite feel like going back home to FT Lewis, so I'll be reporting to Wainright Feb. 10. Between this forumn, my current squad leader and platoon seargent, I've heard only great things, and honestly cannot wait. I can't say I'll be there for the next 50 years, but I intend to at least make the most out of the next three.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 AM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
do you mean fort wainwright or wainwright?

Old 11-11-2009, 11:50 AM

30 posts, read 68,500 times
I was 23, single, and a friend of mine offered me a job with the company she was working for. So I moved on up to Soldotna, with knowing absolutely nothing about Alaska. (A thread on doing stupid newbie things would be funny). Loved it, stayed several years, moved back to WA and now we're trying to move back up to AK.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:47 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaW View Post
I was 23, single, and a friend of mine offered me a job with the company she was working for. So I moved on up to Soldotna, with knowing absolutely nothing about Alaska. (A thread on doing stupid newbie things would be funny). Loved it, stayed several years, moved back to WA and now we're trying to move back up to AK.
oh spill it friend!! oh what stupid things did you think or do upon arriving???

Old 11-11-2009, 08:54 PM

30 posts, read 68,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
oh spill it friend!! oh what stupid things did you think or do upon arriving???
Well, lets see...

Moose are not friendly little creatures that you approach to try to pet. Especially when they're hanging out in your yard with their calves. They may come when you call them but it's gonna hurt! (I outran it but barely, pretty stupid of me).

Moose like to sit in the snow in the yard, sometimes for a long time and you do not have to call the animal control people. I could almost hear the laughter 'cross town after they hung up the phone. "But, it hasn't moved for a while, you sure it's OK?" "Uhhhh...Probably so, (snort)."

If the locals tell you it gets cold and you need a block heater, well, you should believe them and not think, "ahhh, it can't get that cold!" Let me tell ya, a light bulb under the hood, not even 100 watts, keeps your engine from freezing when it's -40. Well, it didn't for me anyway!

Since I didn't have a block heater in my car at first, I was told I'd want to start it frequently or it would freeze. "Yeah, OK, sure a car freezes." Oh, yes it does! I thought to myself, "gee I should have listened" as I was watching it being towed away to get a block heater installed.

I learned the hard way several times that if the locals tell you something to help ya out, you'd better believe it. They know what they're talking about. Alaska is a pretty humbling place in my opinion, when you think you know everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska