Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well I don't think you understand that even with the 400 cars stretched out on the current 80 miles of road, they rarely pile up, in some of the rest area you may see 30 cars, but they come and go.

You can pull off the road anywhere you want to see what there is to see.

There is a lot of people that would be happy to take a group "Safari" on snowmachines, if not in a supervised group, the Jerks that think the rules don't apply to them would take off and run over everthing ruining it for the rest of us.

My analogy about the Blue Ridge Parkway was about the day-to-day operations of the Park, standard, not the Road Lottery. And thirty cars is a lot by my standards! Hell, I thought it was obnoxious here when you pull off at an overlook to look at the mountains and there are 8-10 cars. I can't imagine 30. My point is that if they turned it into a one-way road full-time, year round, and you aren't allowed to turn around, there are a lot of potential problems such as medical emergencies, people not wanting to go the full way, etc. Also, I think having tons of cars all over the place (especially with how terrible some drivers are) could pose a lot of problems. And this is coming from a guy who would love nothing more than to be able to drive my truck through what I've been told is the crown jewel of National Parks. It's just that I worry that it would degrade the majesty and natural beauty of the place because, well... people are dumb, and they screw things up a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiV View Post
The snow machine trail thing is a federal regulation that applies to all designated wilderness areas all over the country, not just Denali. And it only applies to the "Old Park" not the new additions. There are a bunch of snow machine trails in the "New Park".

I think it would be great to allow people to snow machine the road, but I don't know how that would work and still be "legal". Plus, if you think that road is gnarly in the summer time, you should check it out in winter. There are places along the Eilson Bluffs that get socked in with 12-20 ft snow drifts. I could just see some yahoo going over the edge and then suing the Park Service for his own stupidity.

Although it would be cool to follow the road in winter, much of that road is avalanched over in the winter months and wouldn't be safe, but there are other routes. Never seen any snowmachine trails in the new parts of the Park. Where would they be at?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:05 PM

178 posts, read 250,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Although it would be cool to follow the road in winter, much of that road is avalanched over in the winter months and wouldn't be safe, but there are other routes. Never seen any snowmachine trails in the new parts of the Park. Where would they be at?

I know there is a fairly popular trail along the Stampede corridor; but will have to ask around for the others. Goodness knows we pull enough SAR's along that trail over the winter.

Give me a few days to suss out the info and I will get back to you.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:16 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiV View Post
I know there is a fairly popular trail along the Stampede corridor; but will have to ask around for the others. Goodness knows we pull enough SAR's along that trail over the winter.

Give me a few days to suss out the info and I will get back to you.
Oh, well those trails go back to a few private cabins back in that area, and then there is the people going back to the bus to feel the "Magic"....

When I fly over it, most of the tracks go up to that and end there, then they head back. But the trail goes up into the Park and that is where it pretty much ends for private snowmachines without being chased down by the park service.

The other main area of access is down off the Parks Hwy by Broad Pass, but you still really can't go "Into" the park, just up to it.

The more accessible areas for runs is going up the Kantishna River, which is to the North of the Park, and that isn't very Practical unless you know where you are going. Very remote (few cabins and homesteaders there, but not very advisable for most people that aren't savvy to being in the wilderness during the cold of the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska