Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:38 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Because this world is full of amateur fools who naively believe they can adequately instruct others to perform complex tasks.

First, you correctly observe that many of the problems on the nation’s roads are due to inadequate training and licensing of drivers. Then you conclude that bringing the same flawed, ad hoc instructional model to aviation is somehow a panacea for whatever ails that system. There is a serious logical disconnect somewhere in your thought processes.
don'tcha just love the one who want the laws/regulation bend just so it benefits them??? twisted/skewed logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2
Yep its a big money game, from the training requirements to the maintence. Why does the instructor have to have a CFI, why cant it just be another pilot. Why does the gov allow the insurnace companies to basicly have a monopoly. Why did the gov create a group of people that have a monopoly on the maintence end of things.

If I were you i would save 10 grand and just finish the licence you will be happy you did instead of piece mailing it. Besides when you get to doing the cross countries your going to have to pay for like 2-3 hrs in one shot anyways as well as with the solo cross countries. The cross countries and the check ride are the areas that will eat your lunch and it is where I stalled out when I was trying to get my licence the first time. I stopped for like 5 years after getting about 40 hrs and when I went back it took me 20 hrs to finish plus retaking the writen.
Well, as far as the CFI, it should be a CFI training people because aviation is no walk in the park. You have to be aware of many different things going on at the same time, and although any licensed pilot (should) be able to DO all those things, that's quite different from being able to TEACH someone to do all those things. However, as far as the maintenance requirements, I agree that a rebuilt engine, if inspected and given the go-ahead by the appropriate people, isn't any better if done by someone with A&P than "a regular old yahoo". As long as it's inspected thoroughly.

And yeah, I plan to do it all at once, really. I have just been flying a few hours lately because I've had the itch like crazy. When it comes time to get down to business and get up and running and officially certified, yeah, I'll be doing it all in one go. It's a matter of putting that much money together... it would be hard for me to sit on that much money without going out and buying something stupid. But if a pilot's license is waiting for me at the end, well, it's worth it. But I want private, instrument, and maybe multi one day, so it's gonna be a bit more than 10 grand. And I'm not ruling out commercial. If I get really into it to the point I would want to make money at it, I would probably go for the commercial cert. Just soooo many hours and so much crap to deal with.

In a way it sucks that they've made aviation so difficult to get into, but I can't help but think it's probably improved the safety of the industry too. Things like ADS-B are fantastic for anyone who doesn't want themselves or their loved ones dying in a plane crash. It's not perfect, but it's a great system, and they should be commended for developing such ground-breaking technology.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:54 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
are fantastic for anyone who doesn't want themselves or their loved ones dying in a plane crash. It's not perfect, but it's a great system, and they should be commended for developing such ground-breaking technology.
There is an easier way to get into flying with the new Sport Licence, you can be flying on your drivers license, still need to have 25 hours of instruction, but if you build the kit plane, you are the manufacture for It and can do all the maintenance on it which cuts the costs a lot to operate, and you can build hours in it and instruct as well!

Learn to Fly - EAA Sport Pilot and Light-Sport Aircraft Information

Old 10-26-2011, 01:01 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,230,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Because this world is full of amateur fools who naively believe they can adequately instruct others to perform complex tasks.

First, you correctly observe that many of the problems on the nation’s roads are due to inadequate training and licensing of drivers. Then you conclude that bringing the same flawed, ad hoc instructional model to aviation is somehow a panacea for whatever ails that system. There is a serious logical disconnect somewhere in your thought processes.
Its the cost run up that concerns me with the CFI requirements, not the increased training requriements. I am all for more safety as long as it does not turn into a cash grab which it most certianly has in aviation from CFI training to maintence.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Well, as far as the CFI, it should be a CFI training people because aviation is no walk in the park. You have to be aware of many different things going on at the same time, and although any licensed pilot (should) be able to DO all those things, that's quite different from being able to TEACH someone to do all those things. However, as far as the maintenance requirements, I agree that a rebuilt engine, if inspected and given the go-ahead by the appropriate people, isn't any better if done by someone with A&P than "a regular old yahoo". As long as it's inspected thoroughly.

And yeah, I plan to do it all at once, really. I have just been flying a few hours lately because I've had the itch like crazy. When it comes time to get down to business and get up and running and officially certified, yeah, I'll be doing it all in one go. It's a matter of putting that much money together... it would be hard for me to sit on that much money without going out and buying something stupid. But if a pilot's license is waiting for me at the end, well, it's worth it. But I want private, instrument, and maybe multi one day, so it's gonna be a bit more than 10 grand. And I'm not ruling out commercial. If I get really into it to the point I would want to make money at it, I would probably go for the commercial cert. Just soooo many hours and so much crap to deal with.

In a way it sucks that they've made aviation so difficult to get into, but I can't help but think it's probably improved the safety of the industry too. Things like ADS-B are fantastic for anyone who doesn't want themselves or their loved ones dying in a plane crash. It's not perfect, but it's a great system, and they should be commended for developing such ground-breaking technology.
I do agree that safety has increased quite a bit, it is super safe sitting on the ground becuase its cost prohibitive to fly lol.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
There is an easier way to get into flying with the new Sport Licence, you can be flying on your drivers license, still need to have 25 hours of instruction, but if you build the kit plane, you are the manufacture for It and can do all the maintenance on it which cuts the costs a lot to operate, and you can build hours in it and instruct as well!

Learn to Fly - EAA Sport Pilot and Light-Sport Aircraft Information
I looked into that and there are a ton of restrictions as far as air frame weight and most importantly horse power restrictions. Not going to be flying a pitts or most super cubs with a light sport licence.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
don'tcha just love the one who want the laws/regulation bend just so it benefits them??? twisted/skewed logic.
You must be the life of a party or family gatherings with your condesneding remarks. I would imagine any in your family who disagree wtih you must just ask you about the weather and send a christmas card once a year.

Of course people want policies that benifit them, why would I want policies that work against my interests. Lots of people thinking that way these days and its actually dangerous. Its like these people that say Iran has rights to build a nuke, even though it is clearly not in our interests or our allys interests so why are these people so interested in Irans "rights"? I hope they maintain that line of thinking when/if their families get nuked, maybe they will be thinking hmm my enemy having destructive weapons is not in MY best interests lol. ME having destructive weapons is.

Its not skewed logic, it is actually very sound logic.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
read back through all your posts...how many people agree with you vs those trying to explain how skewed your reasoning is???....the score is seriously in favor of others so don't go pointing out just one person for trying to make you see that your thinking processes are off base.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I looked into that and there are a ton of restrictions as far as air frame weight and most importantly horse power restrictions. Not going to be flying a pitts or most super cubs with a light sport licence.

Well the J-3 Cub qualifies, as does the Champ and some others, but you are right there are restrictions, but the joy of flight is great no matter how you do it.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:21 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
As for someone that doesn't want to do the full 160 mile drive, which it is that now anyway, they shouldn't have gone in the first place...
I don't think most current visitors go all the way to Wonder Lake or Kantishna. When I was there the bus was pretty empty after the Eielson Visitor Center. If I was only there for a day and the Mountain wasn't out I wouldn't go any further than that, either. Why shouldn't people be able to see the parts of the park they want to and not the rest? The Park Service has enough rules and nonsense as it is. They sure shouldn't be telling people they can't come in at all if they're not willing to spend 10 solid hours driving.
Quote:
That is like driving half way to Fairbanks and not wanting to make the trip, you are still halfway.
Can't I just drive aimlessly up the Richardson without necessarily wanting to go to Fairbanks? I do that sometimes, because it's pretty and I like driving. Halfway is wherever I stop and turn around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska