Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:12 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn31 View Post
I bought a couple of lottery tickets this past year - but sadly, did not win. I will try again for next year. In the meantime, I appreciate all the beautiful pictures.
We'll good luck! Look forward to you posting pictures, course you can do that any time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 AM

455 posts, read 743,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
LOL. I dunno, his status doesn't jive with being Bob, but maybe that's part of the disguise.

Edit: No, it's gotta be Bob. Check it out.
I called it. He removed all his posts and deleted his account (or someone else did).

Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times
Quote:

Basically, my thing is, I don't want to go to a National Park and ride through it on a cramped, crowded tour bus. I wouldn't want to go ANYWHERE on a crowded tour bus. I was just brainstorming some ways that they could allow limited personal vehicle access to the Park Road and not diminish the character of the place.
I agree. I understand why the Park service restricts access at certain popular parks, but I avoid them at those times. For instance Zion Natl Park only allows bus service to the into Zion canyon, the most popular part of the park between April to the end of October, so then I scheduled going there in November. The weather may not be as good but the crowds are less and you can drive your own car all the way up the famous valley. I suppose because of the harsh weather, it may be more difficult to allow that option at McKinley but if I were going to go all the way there, I would rather take my own car, but I understand the reasons for not allowing it.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:35 PM

96 posts, read 257,209 times
Actually no, not me ArcticState.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:20 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Personally, I think allowing a certain number of vehicles per day and charging an entry fee would be a fine way to allow people to drive the Park road and not degrade the conditions in the park as far as wildlife, wilderness feel, and all that.
That's basically what the lottery is It's just a drawing instead of a matter of first-come-first-serve.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:19 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
^ Yeah, and they only do it once a year. I'm talking about a certain number of vehicles per day, every day, until the season is over. But I like Mark's idea better anyway, because it would kill two birds with one stone. I didn't even realize that the Park Road went in a direction that would be practical to meet up with the Stampede Trail. All the bus lovers could see it and not have to be rescued by the brave men, women, and helicopters of Alaska.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:43 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
I like the buses, personally. I don't think you'd see nearly as much if you were driving your own vehicle, because you'd have to pay attention to the road (and to all the people who aren't paying attention to their own driving). And as stupidly as the tourists drive everywhere else in the state, I'd hate to see what that place would be like if they were let loose all season. The buses I was on a couple years ago in July weren't crowded at all, and had interesting drivers who could tell you lots of stories from their years of experience in the park. And I met some really neat people on the buses, as well. Plus you can get off anywhere you want and go hiking and not worry about what to do with your vehicle, and when you want to get back on the road another bus will come along shortly and you can veg out and not worry about driving.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:39 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Plus you can get off anywhere you want and go hiking and not worry about what to do with your vehicle, and when you want to get back on the road another bus will come along shortly and you can veg out and not worry about driving.
I didn't know that. So you can just flag down a bus anywhere on the road and it will stop for you? That's a pretty good idea. Then everyone doesn't get unloaded at the same crowded spots.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:02 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I didn't know that. So you can just flag down a bus anywhere on the road and it will stop for you? That's a pretty good idea. Then everyone doesn't get unloaded at the same crowded spots.
The regular shuttle buses come by every 15 minutes or so. There are tour buses as well, but I've been consistently recommended away from them. And once you get past the point where private vehicles are barred, there aren't really any "crowded" spots, aside from Eielson Visitor Center and the designated campgrounds.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:07 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
not sure if people know about the train..
http://www.alaskatravel.com/alaska-r.../schedule.html
Alaska Railroad Trips, Rail Tours | AlaskaTravel.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska