Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 PM

455 posts, read 743,957 times

Advertisements

Hey arcticracer, I think I might know you. Did you take a fiberoptics course at UAF about a year or so ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,878,100 times
OMG Mark... so beautiful. One more thing on my list of "to dos" next year. Of course the competition is very large but it is well worth trying. Do they limit the amount of people you can drive in with?... not that I will have a big crowd when I get to Alaska but having a few friends help pay the $40 permit would be nice...

Old 09-20-2011, 06:28 AM

178 posts, read 250,869 times
Thank goodness Road Lottery is over! It's a stunning drive but I applaud those of you who are willing to do it with almost 400 cars on that road. I am way too chicken. Driving over Polychrome and the Eilson Bluffs is white knuckle driving at its best.

Nikki

Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,983,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiV View Post
Thank goodness Road Lottery is over! It's a stunning drive but I applaud those of you who are willing to do it with almost 400 cars on that road. I am way too chicken. Driving over Polychrome and the Eilson Bluffs is white knuckle driving at its best.

Nikki
Having been on the shuttle bus all the way to Kantishna this past summer, I'm with Nikki - there is no way I'd do that drive with 399 other drivers on that road! It is an incredible drive, though. Those photos are gorgeous - and the bears look much more rotund than they did when we were there in late July!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
Having been on the shuttle bus all the way to Kantishna this past summer, I'm with Nikki - there is no way I'd do that drive with 399 other drivers on that road!
Lottery winners flock to Denali National Park: Top Stories | Alaska news at adn.com (http://www.adn.com/2011/09/19/v-gallery/2077085/lottery-winners-flock-to-denali.html - broken link)

Old 09-20-2011, 12:06 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
OMG Mark... so beautiful. One more thing on my list of "to dos" next year. Of course the competition is very large but it is well worth trying. Do they limit the amount of people you can drive in with?... not that I will have a big crowd when I get to Alaska but having a few friends help pay the $40 permit would be nice...

No what they limit is the size vehicle you drive. 22' long max and 8' wide. So if you had a big van you could fill it up with legal seating!

The Park Service is starting to advertise it more each year, because they still make ten bucks off all the "Loser" applications too... Almost $120,000.00 off just the entry fees alone!

I think it will be harder to win in the future because of it.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiV View Post

Nikki

It's not that bad, those cars are spaced out over 80+ miles of road and they don't all leave at once. They normally head out between 6AM to 10AM. When you do see a bunch of cars, there will five to ten parked along the side of the road watching some critter. Not really an issue at all, driving to Anchorage from Wasilla on a daily commute is much more stressful!

But you really don't see many cars at all at any one time.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 PM

178 posts, read 250,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
No what they limit is the size vehicle you drive. 22' long max and 8' wide. So if you had a big van you could fill it up with legal seating!

The Park Service is starting to advertise it more each year, because they still make ten bucks off all the "Loser" applications too... Almost $120,000.00 off just the entry fees alone!

I think it will be harder to win in the future because of it.

Not to be difficult, but you do realize that $120,000.00 doesn't even begin to cover the added employee costs associated with the Road Lottery. That doesn't even begin to acount for the volunteers.

There are tons of people out there making sure traffic flows smoothly. That's not even including the crews that provide gas for people that ran out; tows and flat tire assistance for those that were less than prepared. Trust me, it's not a revenue generator for the Park Service.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Kinda sucks they won't let you drive it without winning a lottery, if you ask me. Is there some specific reason for that?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Kinda sucks they won't let you drive it without winning a lottery, if you ask me. Is there some specific reason for that?
'cuz it would be bumper to bumper traffic and ruin the pristine area! it is what they should do in Yellowstone too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska