Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 05:16 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,737 times

Advertisements

I figured total free range would be out of the question so I was thinking about one of those tractor things,free range yet enclosed. I have sent an email to someone at the North Pole who has a large number of chickens for information on how this can be done. And to ask about how to keep them during the winter. Since I don't have any chicken yet we are just researching and the fact of the matter is we probably won't be getting any this year due to the fact that we will just have to much going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 02:23 PM

21 posts, read 65,826 times
Default Chickens!!

SuperMom,

Do not get discouraged. Your source from North Pole should give you all the information you need to know.

I had the opportunity to take care of a few chickens for two months (January and February) in the interior. The owner, my friend, went to the lower 48 for vacation; very common tradition in Alaska to get away and take a break from the cold. It was an eye opener for me. I couldn't believe how simple a job it was. The coop was made of a shipping box (crate) made of plywood. It was 4 and 2/1 by 4-1/2. The outside was insulated by cut straws from the area farmers. A red heatlamp was used for lighting and heat. All I had to do was remove the eggs and replenish the feed and water at least once a day. My friend had 5 chickens and they all made it to the next winter.

Good Luck!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:57 PM

Thanks. I have both support and negitive feedback from people when I say we are moving and have learned that we are not moving to please anyone other than ourselves and to be game to try just about anything once.

38 days and counting. Things are falling into place for sure. This weekend we are going to start going through rooms one at a time and seperating items for trash or yardsale and packing up what we need.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Screw those that have anything negative to say about your move. I think you'll do just fine. Having a chicken coop will only add the fertilizer you need in a garden. Plus eggs and meat. You might even consider a hog or two after you get settled. We did it for years.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:30 PM

I have found that for the most part the people that make negative remarks are the ones that don't have much desire in life such as they have lived in this small town all their life because their families are here and they would be lost without the weekly contact with them, I told them you can still call them if you move away. Several people that have never been on vacation or even traveled more than 2hrs from their homes just don't understand how we could just up and move and take our kids somewhere that they could be killed by wolves or bears. I guess it "could" happen but then again they could get in a car wreck and die or heck something could happen at school and they be killed as they have had several cases of guns being brought into school.
And then there are the people that say your crazy it is dark there for 6 months at a time,and its so cold that you can't go outside without freezing within 10mins. Or the ones that think you have to hunt and kill everything you eat or you will starve.
We have gotten to where we just laugh those things up. But then you find someone that has actually been to some part of Alaska and they always say they wished they could go back or what a grand experience we are going to have.
Way I see it is if we try it for a year and see it isn't for us we will still have a home here in SC that we can return to and at least we have given it a try.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 PM

And I think you are going to be livin a dream. Not everyone does that. Your fortunate to not only have the opportunity...but to be doing something about it. It might get rough come middle of winter...but I think you'll either decide to stay permanent...or walk away with memories you'll never forget. And if you do leave...you'll probable be one of those wishing you could come back.

Back in grade school we walked over a mile to the road to catch a bus. Every spring we'd see black bear run across the road. Although they were always 3 or 4 hundred yards up the road...we just spun around and ran home. We'd usually get the day off of school...but spent it cleaning barns or chicken coops!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:49 PM

LOL The things we kids do to try and get out of school. Several people have said don't lock yourself up in the house in the winter,buy some warm clothes and spend as much time outside as you can safely. Try cross country skiing or just take the camera and go out and take photos of things. Heck never know we might even get us some sled dogs and learn to mush.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:53 PM

Oh and our new inverter came today from Backwoods Solar and my goodness what a monster of a thing it is. I couldn't belive how big it was. I will say this though the people at Backwoods answered all my questions,offered lots of info about the basics of off grid power production and how to set the system up.They even gave us ideas on how to set the system up cheaper since we were just moving and then told us exactly how to go about upgrading in years to come. And there price was really good.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:07 PM

So you'll have a solar panel, a battery bank, an inverter, and have 110?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
And I think you are going to be livin a dream. Not everyone does that. Your fortunate to not only have the opportunity...but to be doing something about it. It might get rough come middle of winter...but I think you'll either decide to stay permanent...or walk away with memories you'll never forget. And if you do leave...you'll probable be one of those wishing you could come back.
I think you'll have a great time. You're chock full of the pioneer spirit. I wish I could have an opportunity like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska