Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 AM

201 posts, read 823,226 times

Advertisements

Yes, CAN customs at the US/CAN border, then you go through US customs in Prince Rupert at the ferry terminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 05:29 AM

639 posts, read 1,916,737 times
Well I managed to get a price to just go from Bellingham to Juneau and that was $326 just for him. However in the middle of loosing my mind last night over this I did go to travelocity.com and found that he can fly from Seattle to Fairbanks for $235 and it will only take 3hrs and a few mins for him to get there. That would be the smarter choice for sure and from the looks of things he could go just about any day for that same amount.Since he would be flying directly I am going to call and see if he even needs a passport. If he does then we will get one and TRY to go across the boarder if he doesn't need one to fly then we aren't even going to deal with it.
I took a hot shower and relaxed and thought about it. It isn't a HUGE deal I can leave him with his dad in Seattle and they can drop him off after I leave driving up that way. He may have to stay at a hotel 1 night in Fairbanks but no biggie. I can drive,my oldest can drive so I wouldn't be stuck doing all the driving it wouldn't be horrible just not as easy with my husband with me.

I really freaked out last night,sorry. All I could think about was going all the way to the boarder with our stuff and then being told we can't cross or something worse.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
I'm having similar issues with myself having a "past". Found this site off from some other site I was reading about crossing the border and she sounds pretty good. Gives free consultation.
Pardon Services / Canada Border Crossing Services
Worth the call I think.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:50 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
If your husband flies up and you drive up with your kids, make sure to get a notarized letter from your husband allowing you to take the kids up.

When you go into Canada with kids and only one parent, they are afraid that you are taking the kids from the other spouse. It took me forever to get into Canada with my son because we didn't know that. They finally took my nine year old son apart from me so that they could quiz him by himself before they finally let us through.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the tip. Flying is what he is going to do,I found a cheaper rate by going directly to their site,he don't need a passport and has plenty of ID to prove who he is. I will get an atty to do the letter so it looks really official and might help speed it along. I think I will also still ship our guns because it might look strange to take 5 guns across with me being the only adult.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
Thanks for the tip. Flying is what he is going to do,I found a cheaper rate by going directly to their site,he don't need a passport and has plenty of ID to prove who he is. I will get an atty to do the letter so it looks really official and might help speed it along. I think I will also still ship our guns because it might look strange to take 5 guns across with me being the only adult.
I would expect a notarized letter would suffice. Just specify a date range of travel, and maybe include that he will be meeting you in AK.

I doubt the guns will be much of an issue if your paperwork is correct. Being female will probably play to your advantage. Women like to hunt too...

Old 11-28-2007, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 24,220 times
When I came up here in 1980 I brought 14 rifles and shotguns with me across the border with no trouble. Don't even think about a handgun, even then. With all of the problems in the world lately you may have to preregister them in Canada and buy a canadian firearms permit, there were the beginnings of this requirement a couple years ago. You can check on this at canadian custums, (Firearm users visiting Canada), (Travellers). Use only the portion between http and asp or html inclusively depending on which one you are using. If you decide to ship them please be advised they would have to be shipped by someone with a valid federal firearms permit to someone else with a valid federal firearms permit. The receiving dealer would probably have to have you fill out a background check form and submit that before you could pick up your firearms so there may be a lag time before you actually receive them after you get here. Sporting good stores which sell firearms would be a good first place to look into this. Also remember you now need a passport to get back in to the United States, which contrary to popular belief Alaska really is a part of. I hope you have a great time up here--Central is in a beautiful part of the state but it does get chilly during the winter.

Last edited by akdotter; 11-28-2007 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: repair addresses

Old 12-01-2007, 04:24 PM

We have it all set up on how to get the guns there so we don't have that to do with. Right now the only thing weighing heavy on my mind is the drive from Seattle to Fairbanks, ALONE with 3 kids the first part of April.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:36 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Heres another thing, I haven't looked at the past posts in a while. Make sure your insurance you have on the vehicle matches or betters the required amount in Canada. Geico has a Canadian insurance card proving that it is insured in the States and is above the minimum Canadian amount.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:37 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Oh, I'm taking my parents down again through Canada at the beginning of April to Montana. I wouldn't worry too hard about the drive up in April. Last year I drove down and back in a 11 day sprint to watch a motorcycle race in Seattle. It was fine then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska