Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 11:42 AM

639 posts, read 1,915,506 times

Advertisements

I think I got a great deal today. A friend told me Sportsmans Warehouse was having a huge sale,so I went in. I got a deal I think I got the Honda UE2000i generator regular price in Fairbanks and in most places $1,200 found it for $927 including tax and it was brand new not a return or anything because it had never had any gas in it. And if I want a bigger generator I can link it to another 2000w. I have read some really good reviews on this and also got some good feedback from actual owners so I hope I made a wise choice. And the nice thing is it is known from what I have learned to produce cleaner power than some of the cheaper larger generators so that is a plus as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 13,344 times
I have been raising chickens for years now, and in you situation I wouldn't be without them. My favorite for cold hardiness are the Wyandottes. They are real sweet birds with almost no combs to get frostbitten. Lay HUGE brown eggs all winter if you provide them with just a 40 watt bulb for light. The roosters finish out big so they make great eating, and are pretty docile (I have been attacked by all my other breeds but them). I had a flock of 20 birds and got an average of 18 eggs a day year round. Also The birds are real good at keeping each other warm--when I had more eggs than I knew what to do with I just scrambled them and fed them back to the 'girls' crushed shell and all for protein and calcium. (eggs after all are just chicken food--what the baby chicks eat while they are in the shell) Coops are so easy to make out of just about anything. One of the favorite cold weather coops is made from hay bales. In summer they can pretty much survive on forage.
The magazine "Backyard poultry" has TONS of tips. Everything from butchering to cold -weather to you name it. also try backyardchickens.com And McMurray hatchery ships to AK.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,046,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugalug View Post
I have been raising chickens for years now,
I have to ask, have you been raising chickens in Interior Alaska at all,...ever?

Old 02-15-2008, 01:19 PM

I also worked on a dairy goat farm while I was growing up. Goats are just about as easy as chickens.

Saanen and Oberhasli have the most "cow-tasting" milk.

One goat usually keeps milking for at least a year if not more.

A good milker will give you 1/2-1 gallon a day or more. Not bad for a little hay and a handfull of grain.

Make yourself a shed. Line it with hay bales for insulation and for use all winter. Then house the goat with the chicks. You'll be golden.

MUCH better than powdered milk.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I also worked on a dairy goat farm while I was growing up.
I've raised dairy goats and chickens, my question is if you've any experience in Interior Alaska?

Old 02-15-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
I have to ask, have you been raising chickens in Interior Alaska at all,...ever?

Listen, megensmom, don't let anyone fool you, it can be done. There are PLENTY of us out there. If you can spare the juice, heat lamps can be a great help on the coldest days. There are plenty of tricks that can really work, especially for somone willing to try.

If it is something you are trully interested in, go to the site I told you about. They have a forum too with Alaskans from all over, who have apparantly been doing the impossible, like me, and raising chickens in AK.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
If you can spare the juice, heat lamps can be a great help on the coldest days. There are plenty of tricks....
The silence is so very revealing...

Yes, if you can 'spare' the juice and use 'heat lamps and plenty of 'tricks'.....

Doesn't sound at all similar to the advice that all you'd need is a 40 watt bulb.

Think about heaters for the birds water source, dehydration is a bad way for a chicken to die.....

...and while you're free ranging those chickens in the summertime, best stand guard with a shotgun, as the owls and other predators will be gathering from miles around to feed on those free ranging chickens.

Chickens can be raised in most parts of Alaska, but it's not easy to be successful, especially if you want to overwinter the birds. Power for constant heat in a tightly insulated coop, power for lights, and heaters for water are likely considerations that will be critical for the success of the endeavor.....

Old 02-15-2008, 03:13 PM

OK I am a lurker, not a poster, but I saw something I have some knowledge about so I thought I'd post.

Firstly, the 40 watt bulb is ONLY to keep them laying through the winter, not for heat.

Secondly, there are many ways to keep water thawed, and coops warm either by technology or construction. That is up to you and your research.

Thirdly, There are so many variables when raising chickens in this extreme weather that you will have to decide what is going to work for you. Heck, you can keep them in your basement if you have one, or garage... You can tractor in the summer, much safer than free range, and they still get the benefits... I don't know your situation. I don't know how much power you are going to have to spare. I don't know what kind of construction you are going to have. I was just throwing out some basics.

I'm not going to say anymore on the subject...back to lurking for me, but of all the people to respond to my little post...UGH! It would have to be User2. Don't you ever have anything positive to say---EVER?

Last edited by Chugalug; 02-15-2008 at 03:46 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 PM

639 posts, read 1,915,506 times
We actually have a large building outside that has a barrel stove out there. My father in law said he used to burn a fire in there to make sure his food stores didn't get frozen. I was telling my husband maybe we could build a pen and attach it to the building and when it was cold or whatever and they needed to be protected we could just fix another smaller pen inside fix like a doggie door,run them in when needed,shut the little door and fix a fire in the stove. The building is fairly insulated so a little woodstove would keep it decently warm. I am looking into maybe buying some older chickens instead of just chicks as well so I don't have that to deal with. I have read about 1hr on that site and it is jam packed with info. now I have more homework. I also like the goat idea,something to think about.
I am sure that we will have to make sure the pen is secure and also to put the chickens up. There is someone there that has geese that free range and they claim to have only lost less than 5 in 3yrs so not a bad track record.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
For the majority of the winter you'll have to keep them inside. Chickens aren't like gesse.
They can't fly long distances. If you free range them they will become food for the foxes and wolves and whatever else finds them tasty. You might have better luck hunting ptarmagin. Good luck....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska