Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 05:33 PM

304 posts, read 397,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post

Hi Group,

I'm from Connecticut
I've lived here for 63 yrs so far.
Am planning to move to rural New Hampshire or Maine next year, to get away from too much population, noise, traffic, and want a more nature-filled, rural life.

What's so wrong about Loving All Things Alaska?

My favorite TV shows are Alaska The Last Frontier, Life Below Zero, The Last Alaskans, and yes, Alaska Bush People.

I'd rather watch shows like those, than A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G about Cities, Murder, Crime, Cops etc!
At least it's "out in the Country", with scenery and wildlife.

We 'stuck' down here in the [over populated/overly developed, etc] lower 48 can "strive & dream" of something better, nicer, more natural, more wild, with beautiful scenery can't we???

Is that so wrong?

I enjoy all of the beautiful scenery, the snow/ice, mountain scenes from all of these shows.

'C mon fellow Alaskans, give us a break.

You all have [probably] the most beautiful/scenic State of America.
Hell, you should be Proud of it!

'Just my 2 cents worth on this topic!

CTwoodnutt

And - Let's not forget that All of these Alaska shows help to Boost the Alaskan Tourism Industry, and help bring in tourists, and their dollars, to The State and to the local economies.

So, That isn't so bad now either, is it!?

CTwoodnutt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 05:41 PM

304 posts, read 397,393 times
Hi Truly Misssouri,

Yes, I suppose that you are right.

That being said, the problem with that is with the specific TV shows Producers, and how THEY choose to portray the 'characters'/actors.

I think that perhaps the 'Truest' portrayal of people living way out in the wilderness, would be with the newer show, out just this Summer on The Animal Planet (another Discovery Channel property) called "The Last Alaskans".

(On Tonight at 8:00)PM eastern time, BTW).

At least all of these few people seem 'True To Form'.

CTwoodnutt

Old 06-28-2015, 05:47 PM

684 posts, read 791,798 times
^

Old 06-29-2015, 05:37 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,279,972 times
I've been watching all the AK shows, and enjoy all of them, except for the Bush people...only watch that one when there isn't anything else to watch....

however, I enjoy the shows, even if they are scripted....and fake....been watching the Last Alaskans of late and enjoy that show as well....interesting, when they spoke of the winter bear that came down out of hibernation and killed their dog...and the wife shot the bear...she was alone....

can't help but ponder about that...like when the men are out checking their trap lines, if in fact, bears are a threat during winter....b/c they are alone, checking traps, and fishing, and wondering, what if?

Old 03-05-2017, 01:20 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,857 times
So yeah I get the whole thing is scripted etc but I watched some of the episodes and was just wondering is there anything *real* about the show? I haven't gone through every post here as there are too many lol. But for instance, I watched an episode where he had to get his daughters tooth fixed but didn't have money so he bartered the dentist for fish? If they all have been living in the woods for however long it is (haven't watched all the episodes but it implies they were all raised in the woods) where do they get money to pay property taxes etc? Also there weird fake accents are really annoying

Old 03-05-2017, 01:48 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
So yeah I get the whole thing is scripted etc but I watched some of the episodes and was just wondering is there anything *real* about the show? I haven't gone through every post here as there are too many lol. But for instance, I watched an episode where he had to get his daughters tooth fixed but didn't have money so he bartered the dentist for fish? If they all have been living in the woods for however long it is (haven't watched all the episodes but it implies they were all raised in the woods) where do they get money to pay property taxes etc? Also there weird fake accents are really annoying

There are no property taxes in a big swath of Alaska. No fish were bartered in real life. That dentist takes cash, check, credit card and he accepts most dental insurance plans.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:31 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
There are no property taxes in a big swath of Alaska. No fish were bartered in real life. That dentist takes cash, check, credit card and he accepts most dental insurance plans.
So does this family actually live in the places depicted in the show or is that all fake too?

Old 03-05-2017, 02:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
It's all fake. And there's no one left in SE Alaska who'll barter or otherwise deal with the Browns. They've fleeced, lied, and scammed their sorry way across these communities and aren't welcome in any of them.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:51 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
They are only in "Brown Town" when filming. They overnight in Hoonah. They earn their cash by being on the show. No land taxes, because they don't own the land they are filming the show on.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
As far as property taxes, Stiff is right about that, but the Browns don't own **** and never have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska