Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 09:25 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times

Advertisements

I've only watched a few of those. Railroad Alaska, Alaska the Last Frontier, Deadliest Catch (not anymore but when it first came on), Gold Rush (again when it first came on), and Life Below Zero.

I have no desire to move to Alaska or even visit, but to me, after watching these shows it appears that everyone in Alaska has junk scattered in their yards, their homes are perpetually wrapped in Tyvek, and even with a high power rifle with a zillion power scope, shooting at a bear, moose, elk or anything within 10 feet will be missed, and there's more mosquitoes than Alabama.

I know it's not really like that there, but the perception these shows give, to me, isn't very appealing.

I liked Northern Exposure the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:08 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Regarding the Bush family....
I find it disturbing, that the father uses those kids for his servants, he simply stands there and yells out instructions to them...really makes me angry....and for his daughter's birthday, he gives her a deer call? Sorry, but the show is more then disturbing....

Old 02-13-2015, 11:12 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I've only watched a few of those. Railroad Alaska, Alaska the Last Frontier, Deadliest Catch (not anymore but when it first came on), Gold Rush (again when it first came on), and Life Below Zero.

I have no desire to move to Alaska or even visit, but to me, after watching these shows it appears that everyone in Alaska has junk scattered in their yards, their homes are perpetually wrapped in Tyvek, and even with a high power rifle with a zillion power scope, shooting at a bear, moose, elk or anything within 10 feet will be missed, and there's more mosquitoes than Alabama.

I know it's not really like that there, but the perception these shows give, to me, isn't very appealing.

Haha, tyvek is the official siding of rural Alaska. Alaska seems to attract it's fair share of hoarders as well.... "I'll get the siding put on next year"....

Old 02-13-2015, 01:59 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,773 times
And the mosquito remark is true. And you are required to have at least 2 blue tarps on your property.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:28 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
Jim9251 - Northern Exposure, the show filmed in Washington State that they said was Alaska?

I was a little disappointed in how Ultimate Survival AK portrayed that bus and also how they crossed the Teklanika river. People die trying to get to that bus...

I think the mosquitos up here must breed with the crows. Never saw such HUGE mosquitoes until I got here. There are smaller ones too. The ones in Florida are just small. Both states the mosquitoes are are vicious though.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:05 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Jim9251 - Northern Exposure, the show filmed in Washington State that they said was Alaska?

Yeah like the show that's filmed in New Mexico that's supposed to be Wyoming.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post

Even with all that, which is mostly true, it beats anything the lower 48 has to offer.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:41 PM

511 posts, read 509,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I had an thought this morning.... The Brown family. They "bought" this land near Hoonah. I grew up in Hoonah, so I'm familiar with it. A few years back, Huna Totem Corp transformed the old cannery into a cruise ship destination. It's a great place for whale watching and they have the world's longest zip line. Icy Strait Point
So I wonder if the Browns/Discovery are getting set up to offer an excursion to see "Brown Town". I can hear the advertisement now... "Come see how true adventurers live, off the grid and in the wild..."
Depending upon the cost, I might pay to see that. We enjoy the show. It entails probably the most primitive family I've ever seen.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:48 PM

511 posts, read 509,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Regarding the Bush family....
I find it disturbing, that the father uses those kids for his servants, he simply stands there and yells out instructions to them...really makes me angry....and for his daughter's birthday, he gives her a deer call? Sorry, but the show is more then disturbing....
I agree. They weren't socialized enough to know better unfortunately. Hopefully they will receive some money from the show which will enable them to take another path breaking the apron strings a little bit.
Their unique accents will slowly decrease also which will help them fit in.
The ability to see a Dentist and Doctor as needed.

They seem to really love each other.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:48 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
Depending upon the cost, I might pay to see that. We enjoy the show. It entails probably the most primitive family I've ever seen.
They live in the lodge between shoots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska