Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:22 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
It was a hot one yesterday in the eastern interior, followed by one of the craziest thunderstorms I've ever experienced, and definitely the craziest I've experienced up here. Intense wind started building, 100's of lightning strikes followed my massive amounts of hail and rain. I had never seen it pour like it did yesterday at my house. The lightning sparked numerous short lived wildfires that were quickly put out by the massive wall of water falling behind. After the storm subsided the air was smoky from all the short lived fires. Pretty cool but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous there for a while.

Wonder if the storm continued on to fairbanks.

I was sitting in a tent camped by Hajdukovich Creek up the 1402 Trail behind your place, squatting on my folded up air mattress, in my hiking boots trying to be the worst possible lightning rod ...and chugging whiskey. It was exciting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 11:04 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
^Nice , I tried to make it all the way back there in early June on my mountain bike but then turned around after seeing some giant sized black bear tracks. Still haven't made it all the way up there yet. I wouldn't have wanted to be in a tent during that storm though. I was even having second thoughts about being in my house during that storm as it's essentially a giant metal cage in the middle of a field. Got me thinking that it would probably make the perfect lightning rod. There was too much lightning and water to make a run for the truck though.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:20 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my tent poles, but somehow squatting outside the tent didn't sound any more appealing.

I finally got to do the big traverse of the Granites that I've talked about for a while, starting at Butch Lake, up and over the mountains, and coming down 1402 over 4 days. It was a sweet trip and the storm was a good finale..

Old 07-10-2017, 07:33 PM

460 posts, read 609,437 times
Early Sunday monday morning got woke up by huge clap of thunder. Had been raining hard starting early in the morning and then the wind started. Got only just an inch of rain, but it was pretty much in less than 12 hours. Really need it, river is still on the low side. Probably high enough that the barge might make it up now. Its been a dry and sunny summer.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:32 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I was in my (old) 4Runner when it was raining so hard last weekend and had to stop in the middle of Bennett Road (between CHSR and the Steese) because it was raining so hard that I couldn't see anything. Of course, there IS nowhere to pull off on Bennett, so... the middle of the road it was. Headlights and hazards were on, hoping if someone came up behind me they could see me, although I don't know how anyone could have driven in that.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Lucky you! Nobody hit you from behind. But I know what you mean; sometimes you can't see anything in front of you.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post

I finally got to do the big traverse of the Granites that I've talked about for a while, starting at Butch Lake, up and over the mountains, and coming down 1402 over 4 days. It was a sweet trip and the storm was a good finale..
That is an epic sounding trip, made more epic by the fact that you carried whiskey with you . I bet you didn't see too many other people wandering around up there.

All of my hikes this summer have been run of the mill in and out day trips unfortunately, but hopefully that will change soon.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:13 AM

Just saw an article on the storm I was talking about earlier. 60mph winds as well as 1,500 cloud to ground lightning strikes recorded between Healy Lake and Quartz Lake in a 90 minute period.
That's a lot of lightning and very remarkable for an interior storm.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:48 PM

460 posts, read 609,437 times
We got a new record high temp. for yesterday (86) for the actual day. I think our all time record high is only 91. I think we have only had a few days over 80 this year, but it has been dry. Berries are ripe though.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:51 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
We got a new record high temp. for yesterday (86) for the actual day. I think our all time record high is only 91. I think we have only had a few days over 80 this year, but it has been dry. Berries are ripe though.
That sounds awful nice right now. I live in Las Vegas and it was 117 degrees a few weeks ago, but now we seem to be stuck on 110. This year is breaking records all over the place!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That sounds awful nice right now. I live in Las Vegas and it was 117 degrees a few weeks ago, but now we seem to be stuck on 110. This year is breaking records all over the place!
The worst I've ever experienced was over 100 in the Southeast. There's nothing like being constantly wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska