Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 07:25 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Now it's a record dry wave.

The sunny spell has postponed the dark season's onset, or so it seems.

Freakish fall weather keeps coming | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper
Similar article in the News-Miner today:

Snow is two weeks late in Interior Alaska | Local News | newsminer.com

I am ready for winter. I'm kind of an all-or-nothing kind of a person... I want it to be 100% summer or 100% winter, with about three days of fall in between. ********** middle of the road stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 07:26 PM

^wow, the language censor on this site is sensitive!

Old 10-13-2016, 10:41 AM

10,558 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Similar article in the News-Miner today:

Snow is two weeks late in Interior Alaska | Local News | newsminer.com

I am ready for winter. I'm kind of an all-or-nothing kind of a person... I want it to be 100% summer or 100% winter, with about three days of fall in between. ********** middle of the road stuff.
Thanks, I'll keep on eye on this. Rain is in our forecast, but no snow in the latest 7 day Fairbanks forecast.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:30 PM

Any snow in Fairbanks yet? I think we beat you to it, as of yesterday. Never lasts though.
Attached Thumbnails
Near Record Heat Wave.-snow-trail0001.jpg   Near Record Heat Wave.-snowy-tree0001.jpg  

Old 10-17-2016, 04:54 PM

No snow in Fairbanks. A very cold wind has been blowing, though.

We had a big bonfire & fireworks out in Fox on Saturday night and I got so cold that I went home at ten. Bunny boots & arctic Carhartts would have been better than the insulated boots & regular Carhartts I was wearing. I grew up in the wind, but living here has spoiled me. I can hardly stand it anymore.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:32 PM

The Blob is back. Well, apparently it never left. Could be another relatively warm, wet winter for SE.

Warm water 'blob' off northwest coast returns | OregonLive.com

Old 10-25-2016, 12:57 AM

63 posts, read 68,669 times
Quote:
No snow in Fairbanks. A very cold wind has been blowing, though.

We had a big bonfire & fireworks out in Fox on Saturday night and I got so cold that I went home at ten. Bunny boots & arctic Carhartts would have been better than the insulated boots & regular Carhartts I was wearing. I grew up in the wind, but living here has spoiled me. I can hardly stand it anymore.
So much for "new record heat wave". I saw -6F around Fairbanks the last couple of nights. No wind and very dry. My parents are visiting from Russia, and this reminded them of St. Petersburg winters We actually did a couple nice walks at +10F, zero wind and felt pretty nice!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re3iRtH View Post
So much for "new record heat wave". I saw -6F around Fairbanks the last couple of nights. No wind and very dry. My parents are visiting from Russia, and this reminded them of St. Petersburg winters We actually did a couple nice walks at +10F, zero wind and felt pretty nice!
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The wind does not blow here, so that was the point of my post, which was made last week.... when the wind was blowing.

-6*F is considered warm winter temperatures in Fairbanks.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 10-25-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re3iRtH View Post
A bit colder than average, perhaps, but the record low for yesterday in Fairbanks is -27F.

It was 55F in Skagway yesterday, which may be a new record high for that day.

Weather Underground is one website that has all this info.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:30 AM

63 posts, read 68,669 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The wind does not blow here, so that was the point of my post, which was made last week.... when the wind was blowing.

-6*F is considered warm winter temperatures in Fairbanks.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
The point was, -6F for October is chilly, if you ask most people. But, it was more comfy than the number would suggest.

I always wondered, do wind chill calculations actually correspond to real world subjective feelings of cold. Hypothetically speaking, lets say 0*F without wind is calculated as feeling the same as 20*F with a given amount of wind. Is it possible that some people feel that 20*F with wind as -10*F and others as +10*F?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska