Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Well, I was going to say something mean, but I've been trying to be a better person lately, so I'll leave it to your imagination and simply say that your statement applies to much of the entire state. But I don't know what your malfunction is with Fairbanks, considering where you live.
Yeah. Not that stats tell the whole story, but Fairbanks (compared to Anch) has a lower COLA, significantly more affordable housing, a much lower violent crime rate, and lower taxes. While obviously Fairbanks is colder, and that's a problem for some, it's also much sunnier and less humid/damp. Anchorage, of course, has a stronger job market and lower average unemployment, but it also has homelessness and chronic unemployment problems, so clearly that economic advantage isn't being distributed across the population - it has higher highs, but it also has lower lows. Objectively, slamming Fairbanks while being a booster for Anch is just weird. I entirely get that Fairbanks isn't for everyone, but it's not a bad little city, and compared to many other places in Alaska it's eminently livable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
^Just the Geophysical Institute alone is pretty amazing. The permafrost lab, Poker Flat,... ! The Cold Climate Housing Research Center! They are awesome. I have called them for help with all sorts of stuff. Heck, I know all kinds of science nerds that either teach or otherwise work up at the school, all of them with really interesting areas of study. There are all sorts of cool things going on up at the university, and they/it brings all kinds of neat things to town that the interior would otherwise never see and experience.

After Pitts' last few posts I've concluded that he has either never been to Fairbanks, or he's only been here when it was -60*F and windy, or maybe it was freezing rain and he was in a car that had summer tires. So, I guess I should take it easy on him.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
^Just the Geophysical Institute alone is pretty amazing. The permafrost lab, Poker Flat,... ! The Cold Climate Housing Research Center! They are awesome. I have called them for help with all sorts of stuff. Heck, I know all kinds of science nerds that either teach or otherwise work up at the school, all of them with really interesting areas of study. There are all sorts of cool things going on up at the university, and they/it brings all kinds of neat things to town that the interior would otherwise never see and experience.
Yup yup. UAF is really generous with community outreach, both to the general public and to related professionals. Awesome resource. Tons of innovative stuff going on at the research facilities, too.

Quote:
After Pitts' last few posts I've concluded that he has either never been to Fairbanks, or he's only been here when it was -60*F and windy, or maybe it was freezing rain and he was in a car that had summer tires. So, I guess I should take it easy on him.
Maybe he's only been to North Pole

(Sorry, Ray)

Old 04-26-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yeah. Not that stats tell the whole story, but Fairbanks (compared to Anch) has a lower COLA, significantly more affordable housing, a much lower violent crime rate, and lower taxes. While obviously Fairbanks is colder, and that's a problem for some, it's also much sunnier and less humid/damp. Anchorage, of course, has a stronger job market and lower average unemployment, but it also has homelessness and chronic unemployment problems, so clearly that economic advantage isn't being distributed across the population - it has higher highs, but it also has lower lows. Objectively, slamming Fairbanks while being a booster for Anch is just weird. I entirely get that Fairbanks isn't for everyone, but it's not a bad little city, and compared to many other places in Alaska it's eminently livable.
I am in complete agreement. Fairbanks is not for everyone, and I'm glad it's not. I think the "lower lows" keep people at bay, and that's fine with me.

I've lived in a lot of places during my life. I loved most of them, disliked two of them (both in Florida, ha). While I would likely not do well living in town, I love living outside Fairbanks.

I don't really understand the turf war, either. To say that Fairbanks ought not exist just seems angry. Everyplace has its fair share of problems. We have ours, and not more than most other places, that I can tell.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Yup yup. UAF is really generous with community outreach, both to the general public and to related professionals. Awesome resource. Tons of innovative stuff going on at the research facilities, too.

Maybe he's only been to North Pole

(Sorry, Ray)
LOL, true! (We <3 you, Ray!)

The university also has cool stuff for kids going on all the time, which I love. I take my niece to a lot of that stuff. It's like secret science learning stuff. She's learning about science and she doesn't even realize it. And no matter how many times I take her to the Museum of the North, there's always something new and interesting to discover there. Her mom takes her to the ballets and stuff like that, again, all through the university.

I don't care what anyone says, the university contributes a lot to our community.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
I couldn't get 60 seconds in. I will not tolerate being preached at.
Yeah, I'm not one of his good old buddies like Grandpa Alabama, but the few times I've been around him, he's come across as a blowhard. I'm pretty sure he was drunk the night a friend and I were having dinner in the restaurant at Chena. I like some of his ideas, and I know he tried to market those smaller geothermal plants around the state, but they just didn't take off.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/articles...mal-heat-pumps

What about these geothermal heat pumps? This might not work farther north because of permafrost, but I wonder if it would be an option on the panhandle. Looks like there's a federal tax credit for 30-percent for this.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
LOL, true! (We <3 you, Ray!)

The university also has cool stuff for kids going on all the time, which I love. I take my niece to a lot of that stuff. It's like secret science learning stuff. She's learning about science and she doesn't even realize it. And no matter how many times I take her to the Museum of the North, there's always something new and interesting to discover there. Her mom takes her to the ballets and stuff like that, again, all through the university.

I don't care what anyone says, the university contributes a lot to our community.
Have you participated in any of the Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival stuff through UAF? The last few years they've put together really engaging programs.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, I'm not one of his good old buddies like Grandpa Alabama, but the few times I've been around him, he's come across as a blowhard. I'm pretty sure he was drunk the night a friend and I were having dinner in the restaurant at Chena. I like some of his ideas, and I know he tried to market those smaller geothermal plants around the state, but they just didn't take off.

What about these geothermal heat pumps? This might not work farther north because of permafrost, but I wonder if it would be an option on the panhandle. Looks like there's a federal tax credit for 30-percent for this.
Oh, I think geothermal heat systems would work in the interior. The trouble is that the colder your starting point is, the more heat you have to produce, the more pipe you have to lay underground. And it's a lot of pipe, like, holy **** a lot. My ex boyfriend and I calculated it for a house we were planning on building together outside the borough ("NO BOROUGH!") and it was a staggering amount.

And all that pipe adds up to more dirt work you have to do, so that's longer that you have to rent the excavator or whatever. The rental outfits tend to be pretty proud of those.

Understand that I do not at all have a negative attitude about alternative energy. I spent many years of my life building wind turbines. I am not negative on the subject at all, but I am realistic. I think geothermal is a good alternative for the interior for people that can afford to build a system.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Have you participated in any of the Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival stuff through UAF? The last few years they've put together really engaging programs.
No, I never have, but it's something I would be into. I like stuff like that. I'm going to put it on my calendar for this year

Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Yes, they're receiving a lot of attention around here lately. Supposed to be practical down to -5F, and it (almost) never gets that cold in SE. A friend of mine has recently replaced his oil furnace with one of these in Juneau and is pleased with it so far. He hasn't compiled enough months to come to any conclusions on cost savings, but it looks to be not so much, even with the 11-12 cent/KWH electricity. No more oil tanks and fossil fuel though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska