Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 03:56 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Alaska has very small population. That is itself will skew the rankings.
That and we are probably even more inhomogenous than texas in the way of legal US citizens. We have an extremely polarized population. With South Central, pan handle (which is its whole own sub culture) and then the rest of Alaska. Also the federal native treaties that led to native corps has created massive issues, people getting free money as share holders can sit around and create problems for their neighbors because they dont have to work hard like their ansestors to survive.

I remember reading about native elders who said this whole oil thing and federal programs would end native culture and allows the dead beats to survive who would have ordinarily just froze or starve to death back in the day. Now they can just sit around and beat their wives and THAT is where alot of our stats are derived from, domestic violence from the idol that can just sit around can collect a check.

If they eliminated the villages from the violence stats Alaska would do alot better, far better than places like Illinois. Then if you took it a step further and removed Anchorage (behind closed doors domestic violence stats, or at least reported them separatly) you would have a very different picture.

When people are reading these stats their biggest concerns are stranger violence and property crimes, not some drunk disfunctional couple that get into a fight behind closed doors. People dont want to be randomly assulted/shot on the street or have their **** stolen, that is all, the rest is hype to try to make Alaska look bad.

The 8A status of native corps and the politcal pull of the big 3 have basicly held the state hostage in economic warfare forever now but thats a separate issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 10:40 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Arkansas are on that list too. Those states, along with Alaska, have another distinction. They are in the top 10 in the highest per capita rates of rape in the USA.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:08 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
New Mexico also has a large native population and many reservations. Haven't spent too much time in Oklahoma but imagine that there's a healthy native population there as well.

It is rascist to say that villages and the native population skew these statistics even while calling out the massive amount of white trash contributing to the problem at the same time. Natives get a free pass from criticism because of what happened in the past before most of us were even alive. To call them out on their bad behaviors is rascist and not PC. To deny that their cesspool villages don't drag the stats down is naive.

Now before anyone accuses me of being rascist, there are plenty of incompetent white trash people having multiple kids out the wahzoo. These kids may or may not be taken by OCS but the white trash drug addicted mom will be knocked up again within a year having another child on the taxpayers dome with no real chance at life either way. We need to start passing out free vasectomies and hysterectomies like their candy and maybe we can put a lid on the situation.

Oh and I believe the proper term now is also STI (sexual transmitted infection) vs STD (sexual transmitted disease) as most of them are infections not diseases.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:57 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Amazing since you must have to pretty far just to do it, much less catch a disease.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I think what happens in my cesspool village is that a lot of marginal types who wouldn't be able to drive through Canada travel to Ketchikan via the ferry because it's the closest and cheapest place to get to with a vehicle. After they hook up with their own kind in Ketch, they start hearing how POW is the place to be for those with an outlaw outlook.

Do the Native villages have enough of a combined population to skew the stats much?

Old 11-12-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think what happens in my cesspool village is that a lot of marginal types who wouldn't be able to drive through Canada travel to Ketchikan via the ferry because it's the closest and cheapest place to get to with a vehicle. After they hook up with their own kind in Ketch, they start hearing how POW is the place to be for those with an outlaw outlook.

Do the Native villages have enough of a combined population to skew the stats much?
They had enough to put murkowski back in and now our state is suffering because of her and sullivan, she promised the natives and the native corps that she would keep the money flowing for them (while whites in anchorage got the ax).

So yea they can definitly skew all kinds of stats. While anchorage has its issues amung the non native population Alaska certianly would be much lower down the list if it were not for villages and natives in general.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
New Mexico also has a large native population and many reservations. Haven't spent too much time in Oklahoma but imagine that there's a healthy native population there as well.

It is rascist to say that villages and the native population skew these statistics even while calling out the massive amount of white trash contributing to the problem at the same time. Natives get a free pass from criticism because of what happened in the past before most of us were even alive. To call them out on their bad behaviors is rascist and not PC. To deny that their cesspool villages don't drag the stats down is naive.

Now before anyone accuses me of being rascist, there are plenty of incompetent white trash people having multiple kids out the wahzoo. These kids may or may not be taken by OCS but the white trash drug addicted mom will be knocked up again within a year having another child on the taxpayers dome with no real chance at life either way. We need to start passing out free vasectomies and hysterectomies like their candy and maybe we can put a lid on the situation.

Oh and I believe the proper term now is also STI (sexual transmitted infection) vs STD (sexual transmitted disease) as most of them are infections not diseases.
The fact that you felt compelled to write this part is a testimate to the free pass that natives get. IT is a sad state of affairs and the federal govt completely destroyed their culture with the free money, native corps and 8A status. The useless sedentary natives proliferated and the real natives of the past almost dont exist anymore. How many natives can even speak their own language fluently, know the crafts to make those seal skin coats and all the other intricate crafts.

White people that engage in these sorts of behaviors do so to their own demise because they dont get many if any free hand outs. Native share holders can litterally sit around indefinitly and engage in this sort of behavior without much consequences.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
The fed. government actually destroyed their culture long before that.

Quote:
Native share holders can litterally sit around indefinitly and engage in this sort of behavior without much consequences.
Where is this happening? SeaAlaska is one of the wealthier Native corps., but I don't know of anyone who's able to live off their corporate dividends.

Quote:
How many natives can even speak their own language fluently, know the crafts to make those seal skin coats and all the other intricate crafts.
^ Cultural reclamation efforts are changing this, although maybe more so in SE than elsewhere.

I'm not going to pretend to have an answer here, but Alaska wouldn't exactly be a stellar example of wholesome living even if every Native in the state dropped dead.

Who knows what'll happen with the interior villages. I don't see how they can last out the century. SE will be okay, but those tribes were never nomadic in the first place.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-12-2017 at 07:21 PM..

Old 11-12-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The fed. government actually destroyed their culture long before that.

Where is this happening? SeaAlaska is one of the wealthier Native corps., but I don't know of anyone who's able to live off their corporate dividends.

^ Cultural reclamation efforts are changing this, although maybe more so in SE than elsewhere.

I'm not going to pretend to have an answer here, but Alaska wouldn't exactly be a stellar example of wholesome living even if every Native in the state dropped dead.

Who knows what'll happen with the interior villages. I don't see how they can last out the century. SE will be okay, but those tribes were never nomadic in the first place.
They can live off the corporate dividends combined with the other hand outs. Also they have VERY strong hire preference. The bolded is very true and very sad (however, I think we would then be just as crappy as the rest of the USA and not exceptionally crappy)

Old 11-13-2017, 12:51 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
This is rather sad (from the website mentioned by RayinAK):

Spending: A- (92.1)
K-12 Achievement: D (65.6)
You do realize that bush schools are included in this right? Utilities in the bush ain't cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska