Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

^ All university towns have hangabouts who don't want to leave after graduation for whatever reason. Doesn't mean the whole state's like that. Qualified professionals are difficult to find in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 09:05 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That doesn't change the fact that Alaska high schools have one of the lowest graduation rates in the country.

This is from '15, but I doubt nothing's changed since then.

https://www.adn.com/education/articl...ck/2015/12/15/

Its relatively high per capita rate concerning high school graduates is due to Outsiders moving up to fill the jobs that Alaska residents can't/won't do.
Can't argue with the graduation states, which are indeed quite low, though I'll challenge your assertion that our top students can't wait to leave. On the contrary, I know a handful of top notch HS kids currently in college down south who would just love to live in Alaska once they obtain a higher degree. Unfortunately, most positions in their highly trained fields will be found elsewhere.

As for the education of our populace, my metric is the percentage of votes cast for the orange clown currently inhabiting the White house. We're in the middle of the pack by this measure.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Can't argue with the graduation states, which are indeed quite low, though I'll challenge your assertion that our top students can't wait to leave. On the contrary, I know a handful of top notch HS kids currently in college down south who would just love to live in Alaska once they obtain a higher degree. Unfortunately, most positions in their highly trained fields will be found elsewhere.
So do I. I get job apps from this demographic fairly frequently. Not sure what you're trying to "challenge," but...

This is what I said:

Quote:
I've noticed in my area that those who do manage to graduate high school generally flee at the first opportunity. That probably contributes to the subpar labor pool.
I wasn't typing about students "down south" who want to relocate to Alaska. I was typing about those who graduate high school in my specific community. For the most part, they don't stick around.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:17 PM

[quote=Metlakatla;50003391

I wasn't typing about students "down south" who want to relocate to Alaska. I was typing about those who graduate high school in my specific community. For the most part, they don't stick around.[/QUOTE]

Neither was I, so my apologies for not being clear. I was referring to Alaska HS graduates attending college down south and wanting to come back.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that's not applicable to my specific area, which is what my statement was about. I suppose those who've grown up there genuinely love their communities, but they know when they leave that there's nothing for them. Not going back and forth on this; I'm sure we all have personal anecdotes that would "challenge" someone else's experience.

Those who want it can have it, AFAIC. If there's nothing there for them, I guess that's life. I know very few people who've returned to their hometowns after college no matter where they're from.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-01-2017 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 09:18 AM

Before I'm done with this thread, I need to clear something up about your "challenge." You're claiming I made an assertion that Alaska's "top students can't wait to leave," but that's not even what I said. This is what I said:

Quote:
I've noticed in my area that those who do manage to graduate high school generally flee at the first opportunity. That probably contributes to the subpar labor pool.
Of course, that isn't nearly as challenge-worthy as your twist, but my statement had nothing to do with "top students" pursuing specialized studies.

Cleric, just an FYI before you waste your time with a response -- I see very little of what you post because you've been on my ignore list for months -- I just got too tired of your twisting my words and then barking a "challenge" in the same manner you've done here, and I find your fixation on twisting what I say creepy AF.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Before I'm done with this thread, I need to clear something up about your "challenge." You're claiming I made an assertion that Alaska's "top students can't wait to leave," but that's not even what I said. This is what I said:

Of course, that isn't nearly as challenge-worthy as your twist, but my statement had nothing to do with "top students" pursuing specialized studies.

Cleric, just an FYI before you waste your time with a response -- I see very little of what you post because you've been on my ignore list for months -- I just got too tired of your twisting my words and then barking a "challenge" in the same manner you've done here, and I find your fixation on twisting what I say creepy AF.

Unbelievable. I think you're mentally ill.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
I got overly specific and personally identifiable, but I pretty much said as much in my deleted post. The brain drain from smaller communities is real.
The problem that we have in my community isn't so much lack of doctors or nurses (plenty of traveling medical, and those who can go to Seattle for healthcare) but rather lack of qualified tradespeople and people to fill average jobs. I have a home in another state as well, and I see the same thing happening here. The issue is partially that the working class is priced out of both of these areas to a large extent.

Quote:
Blind Cleric This user is on your Ignore List.
Find someone else to fixate on.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:13 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
In reality being educated or not have not much to do with the level of STDs. In Alaska the people who have contracted STDs, including all those involved are tracked, something that is not done in some of the other States. Also, there are high concentrations of STD sufferers in areas where the inhabitants have low incomes.

In Alaska skillful, not necessarily educated workers, always are in high demand.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:02 PM

[quote=Metlakatla;50011927
Find someone else to fixate on.[/QUOTE]

I still can, and will respond to your posts, just no more bizarre, mean spirited replies from you.

It's a win win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska