Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:57 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
So, you grudge-hate us? That makes more sense.

Just a couple points for you to ruminate:

-the university is not within city limits
-most of the students do not live within city limits
-about 100k people live in the borough

I don't even know why I'm still typing.
Could not have said it any better.

Besides, some of the engineering activities, such as building ice bridges, or studying the permafrost underground are a lot easier to accomplish at UAF where it's colder. A lot of the space programs (Auroras, and the rest) are easier to conduct in the interior of Alaska than by the coastline. The same can be said for launching rockets from the Chatanika (Poker Flats), and Kodiak. While Engineering is big at UAF, UAA is the place for medical (nursing, etc.), and aircraft flying and mechanical learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 09:30 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Could not have said it any better.

Besides, some of the engineering activities, such as building ice bridges, or studying the permafrost underground are a lot easier to accomplish at UAF where it's colder. A lot of the space programs (Auroras, and the rest) are easier to conduct in the interior of Alaska than by the coastline. The same can be said for launching rockets from the Chatanika (Poker Flats), and Kodiak. While Engineering is big at UAF, UAA is the place for medical (nursing, etc.), and aircraft flying and mechanical learning.
But that's why he hates us, Ray.... because we have all the math & engineering programs. I'm not sure if I've ever typed a more ignorant sentence, but there you have it.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:01 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
I suspect if you can't be assed to relocate a few hundred miles for a few semesters you may not have the level of dedication the engineering grad school programs are looking for, anyway. I mean, it'd be one thing if one had kids or a job that tied them to a geographic location, but that doesn't apply here, from what I've seen.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:39 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
This thread needs to be nominated for the "Most Rambling Thread" award. It hasn't had anything to do with the title in quite a while.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I suspect if you can't be assed to relocate a few hundred miles for a few semesters you may not have the level of dedication the engineering grad school programs are looking for, anyway. I mean, it'd be one thing if one had kids or a job that tied them to a geographic location, but that doesn't apply here, from what I've seen.
Lots civil, mining, and electrical engineers do find jobs in Alaska. I work with several future engineers, and some already work part time with the DOT and other organizations and companies during the school summer. But good grades have a lot to do with early hiring. I had a couple of them who got pre-hired by the Navy before graduating, but these two were out of the ordinary students.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
This thread needs to be nominated for the "Most Rambling Thread" award. It hasn't had anything to do with the title in quite a while.
There isn't much happening in the Alaska forums these days, so all the rambling is not a bad thing.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:29 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
It does apply, I dont have a job but my wife does, plus we own a home that we bought VERY low so our costs are fixed.

If it were just me I could go to UAF ..... or I could drive to another state until I got residency and live in a pop up camper where it does not routinely get -20 to -30 all winter long with dips to -55 or -60.

I cant even imagine what the utilities cost for a rental in fairbanks, I highly doubt land lords include heating in the rent prices and if they do its likely steep rent.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:41 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Lots civil, mining, and electrical engineers do find jobs in Alaska. I work with several future engineers, and some already work part time with the DOT and other organizations and companies during the school summer. But good grades have a lot to do with early hiring. I had a couple of them who got pre-hired by the Navy before graduating, but these two were out of the ordinary students.
If someone can get on with the DOT as a GS you need to tell them to never leave. IF they can get the year long probationary and all the other entry level scuttle butt done they will, for the most part, be set for life.

If I would have known that back when I graduated I would have pursued a govt job, granted oil money enabled me to do alot of things but now here I sit, unemployed and likely will be for quite a while, people who are fed GS's still have a job.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
It does apply, I dont have a job but my wife does, plus we own a home that we bought VERY low so our costs are fixed.

If it were just me I could go to UAF ..... or I could drive to another state until I got residency and live in a pop up camper where it does not routinely get -20 to -30 all winter long with dips to -55 or -60.

I cant even imagine what the utilities cost for a rental in fairbanks, I highly doubt land lords include heating in the rent prices and if they do its likely steep rent.
Couples do this sort of thing pretty often, though. You could go to school in FB and come home weekends, and maybe there's on campus housing you could get.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:54 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

I have lived in four places here where heat was included in the rent. Only one of them was small by Fairbanks standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska