Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 01:45 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, your parents renamed you? That's pretty awesome.

I actually like the name my parents gave me so it's a non issue. And I like my husband's last name better than my maiden name and it goes fine with my given name. So I'm good to go. But my husband and I have always agreed that life is too short to go through it with a bad name. And if I had a funky last name I'd change it too. I promise!

Anyway, I have always hated the Palins' names for their kids. I mean, Bristol is the most palatable one to me, but come on - Trig? Track? Piper? (Willow is fine, I guess - but it doesn't seem to "go" with the other names.) Are these pet names? Names of horses? I mean, that's what they sound like to me.

I knew when I heard those names, "These folks ain't got no sense."

Ha, ha .

My mother (who died many years ago) recounted to me the process she and my dad (who also died many years ago) went through while she was pregnant with me, re naming me. She recounted this to me at some point after I turned 18, but before she died (years later).

My parents marriage...verbally (never, never anything physical)....was like 'World War 3', and they divorced when I was a kid. They later go back together, and broke up again, but during the period when they got back together, they didn't remarry. The financial stability while I was growing up didn't come from my dad. Things were more peaceful, in an arguing sense, when he wasn't around.

Like you, I like the name my parents gave me, and I wouldn't want to change it. I also like how they came to the decision they did re my name.

The part of your post that I bolded made me laugh, as I took it to be your tactful way of saying that Sarah Palin gave her kids (other than Bristol, which some might see as different in a good way) sort of 'white trash-ish' names.

When I was in my mid 20's, I started dating this woman. We had not yet had a conversation about being exclusive when she left to visit a friend in the midwest who had returned/moved back there to be closer to her family. The friend's brother stayed (in the same county where I lived) in California. While this new woman I had started to see was gone visiting her friend, I went shopping at a mall. I loaded my car and, just as I was about to get in and drive away, I heard a female voice far off in the distance, calling my name and telling me not to drive away. As she got closer, I recognized her, a friend (she was one of the little sisters from my college fraternity at a 'Public Ivy'). She was trying to get my attention because of the girl who just became her roommate. The girl who had just become her new roommate was someone who, months before, had seemed very eager to go out with me, but when I went to pick her up at her place for our first date, no one was home. I said to myself 'her loss', and didn't call her. My friend said that her new roommate wanted another chance with me. Long story shorter, I got together with the 'friend's new roommate/girl who had stood me up months ago' (I'll call her girl #2) while the other woman (I'll call her girl #1) was still back in the midwest visiting her friend. Girl #2 became emotionally attached to me very quickly. She was mentioning kids, and names for kids . Girl #2 isn't from a white trash family. Her parents met at Stanford, her dad is an engineer, and she is descended from a Big Four family (the Big Four were the founders of the Central Pacific Railroad). When Girl #1 returned from visiting her friend in the midwest, she said she didn't want to share me...that I had to choose. I chose girl #1. We didn't get married, but we dated for years after that. I made the right decision. It was a meaningful relationship, and I loved her parents...two of the greatest people I've ever known...as well. For the rest of my relationship with girl #1, she teased me (very good-naturedly) about the names that girl #2 came up with for the kids she wanted to have with me. When I first heard the names of the Palin kids in 2008, I laughed because they reminded me of the names that girl #2 had come up with for the kids she wanted to have with me.

Last edited by RMESMH; 09-12-2019 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: corrected erroneous correction that auto-correct had made
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 05:19 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
I thought they were Christian? Divorce is not acceptable, if one is to remain a Christian in good faith.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:03 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Quote:
Quote:
^^^^^ .

I never thought about it until just now (and I'm older than you), but if my parents had approached other things with the overall mindset and the ability to compromise that they showed re naming me (my mother recounted the process to me), then they would have had a better chance of making it.
Wow, your parents renamed you? That's pretty awesome.

I actually like the name my parents gave me so it's a non issue. And I like my husband's last name better than my maiden name and it goes fine with my given name. So I'm good to go. But my husband and I have always agreed that life is too short to go through it with a bad name. And if I had a funky last name I'd change it too. I promise!
Ha, ha .

My mother (who died many years ago) recounted to me the process she and my dad (who also died many years ago) went through while she was pregnant with me, re naming me. She recounted this to me at some point after I turned 18, but before she died (years later).
My younger son was born on a Thursday in August 1997. My wife and I planned to give him the legal name "Andrew" in honor of my Grandma Ada (Jewish tradition is to name after a deceased relative) but call him "Drew." My mother kept asking "so how's Andrew doing." I threatened to change his name if she made that mistake again. She of course did.

Because the card we filled out with the name, on blue stock, was still at the hospital,I went around midnight to the hospital with blue Correct-O-Type (still available in those days and "blued out" the "a" and the "n". So his name was legally recorded as "Drew."

Old 09-12-2019, 07:17 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I love it when social conservatives are ousted by their own hypocrisy in private life. Another strike against their Gilead wet dream. Keep 'em coming!
Funny how the FNM doesn't report all the dirt that is out there on the leftists. They could commit adultery against their spouse, marry their sibling, molest children, drive under the influence, govern under the influence, kill someone and it wouldn't make the news. Give it time. Times are changing.

Whatever is going on between Sarah and husband I wish them both well for their child with Downs sake, who will likely need them for his lifetime.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:35 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Funny how the FNM doesn't report all the dirt that is out there on the leftists. They could commit adultery against their spouse, marry their sibling, molest children, drive under the influence, govern under the influence, kill someone and it wouldn't make the news. Give it time. Times are changing.

Whatever is going on between Sarah and husband I wish them both well for their child with Downs sake, who will likely need them for his lifetime.

Given the attention that was paid to Bill Clinton's carnal shenanigans, I don't see how you could write some of the above with a straight face.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
If you think they few minor quips in this thread are bad, how did you tolerate the pure vitriol and venom spewed forth in the conservative media realm during the Obama years?
Or the pure vitriol and venom spewed forth in the media realm directed at Trump.

Partisan politics and politicians are a big turn off to me, along with those who spout their views.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:06 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
I never heard where Todd stood on the decision
to have a Down’s kid. It is somewhat odd that they
would bother to have the testing if it
didn’t matter-abortion was out of the question.
Actually Sarah admitted to considering it, but quickly realized
this would be defying her political/religious stance. So, instead of choosing pragmatism,
she pig headedly stuck with her misguided “principles”.
Well, perhaps it will work out OK. At least she will have one
kid always coming home.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:48 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
Humans should just give up on marriage and admit they're not capable of it. It would save a lot of grief and heartache -- not to mention money.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:00 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Or the pure vitriol and venom spewed forth in the media realm directed at Trump.
Well, given the fact that he spent several years during the Obama years being part of that realm as Mr. Birther, I'd say what comes around goes around. Also, in case you've been asleep for the past 2 years, you might want to go read his Twitter feed for about 30 seconds. He not only earns it, he actually invites it.

Quote:
Partisan politics and politicians are a big turn off to me, along with those who spout their views.
Then there really is no reason to defend Mr. Trump now. Is there?

Old 09-12-2019, 08:59 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Given the attention that was paid to Bill Clinton's carnal shenanigans, I don't see how you could write some of the above with a straight face.
Given all that's been done by those who came after Bill Clinton I don't see how you could say this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska