Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 10:30 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You need to reread both 4dog's post and my reply again (and perhaps read more of 4dog's posts to know where he is coming from).

In actuality, your post above = agrees with me/proves my point, and disagrees with 4dog.
Lol! Sorry, Freudian slip... sorta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 10:39 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Guess regular people tolerate “the pure vitriol and venom spewed ... during Obama years” the same way as we do in Trump years...
How did you even connect Palin’s divorce to Obama? And why does it matter today?

If I have to explain it, I already know what I'm dealing with.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:30 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I feel bad for the guy. He was an 80s teen like me. Back then, early marriages were more common. Divorce was a known risk, but a lot of young adults in the 80s went into marriage thinking it only happens to someone else. Unfortunately, that wasn't the outcome for many of them. Todd Palin is now another statistic of marital dreams that died by late middle age. It made me think of this classic 80s song where the lyrics reflect the tone of a disappointment and hardship - like a failed marriage. I am glad I never got married. I feel like I avoided a hurricane when news like this breaks out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTW99Qhs6Kg
I got married in 1991 and am still happily married. Perhaps because both me and my wife had parents who were to some extent the exemplar of how not to behave as a spouse. My wife's parents marriage blew up in 1963 when she was three; one of their remarriages was good, the other medium. My father died in 1973, leaving my mother, after a so-so marriage. My mother's remarriage in 1974 was a little better but not always great. Some of the lessons were teachable but that's for a different thread.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:31 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
If I have to explain it, I already know what I'm dealing with.
I don't get it ether.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:10 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
The doctrine is the same.

...Oh, that’s right! As long as they’re not homosexual it’s all good ��
A "Christian" church will not excommunicate you if you are divorced and remarried. They recognize that sometimes there are reasons for a divorce. My Catholic grandmother divorced my grandfather after 35 years of marriage. She was under the impression she could no longer receive communion. However her priest told her as long as she didn't remarry or have sex with anyone she was okay to receive communion because the Catholic Church did not recognize her divorce. Also, when I married my second husband in the Catholic Church they didn't care that both of us had been married previously because I had gotten married the first time in a Baptist Church and my husband had been married by the Justice of the Peace before enlisting in the Air Force so neither one of those marriages was recognized by the CC. Crazy isn't it?

I worked at a church which had its roots in the Mennonite Church and there were divorced people in the church who had remarried. There was no issue with it like with the Catholics.

Now back to the Palins - it doesn't affect my life one bit so I don't care if they get divorced. Better to get divorced when all else fails than to be miserable for the rest of your life.

Old 09-14-2019, 02:32 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
A "Christian" church will not excommunicate you if you are divorced and remarried. They recognize that sometimes there are reasons for a divorce. My Catholic grandmother divorced my grandfather after 35 years of marriage. She was under the impression she could no longer receive communion. However her priest told her as long as she didn't remarry or have sex with anyone she was okay to receive communion because the Catholic Church did not recognize her divorce. Also, when I married my second husband in the Catholic Church they didn't care that both of us had been married previously because I had gotten married the first time in a Baptist Church and my husband had been married by the Justice of the Peace before enlisting in the Air Force so neither one of those marriages was recognized by the CC. Crazy isn't it?

I worked at a church which had its roots in the Mennonite Church and there were divorced people in the church who had remarried. There was no issue with it like with the Catholics.

Now back to the Palins - it doesn't affect my life one bit so I don't care if they get divorced. Better to get divorced when all else fails than to be miserable for the rest of your life.
After reading most comments on this thread and realizing that it felt like like watching the guests in a Jerry Springer show, your response is quite refreshing and non-judgmental.

Old 09-14-2019, 02:35 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Humans should just give up on marriage and admit they're not capable of it. It would save a lot of grief and heartache -- not to mention money.
Speak for yourself!

I've had two arguments with my spouse, total, and both times we were both pretty drunk and it was my fault ultimately.

Our 5 year anniversary is in December.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:18 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Speak for yourself!

I've had two arguments with my spouse, total, and both times we were both pretty drunk and it was my fault ultimately.

Our 5 year anniversary is in December.
Agree. I have been married twice; 4 years the first, and 38 years the second. We get along quite well (second wife), and she raised my two daughter from the previous marriage, plus two boys of our own. Sometimes a divorce could be better than non, but demeaning what others are going through has a lot to do with how well or how screwed-up one's own life is. Most of us only see faults on others and not ourselves.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:59 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I feel bad for the guy. He was an 80s teen like me. Back then, early marriages were more common. Divorce was a known risk, but a lot of young adults in the 80s went into marriage thinking it only happens to someone else. Unfortunately, that wasn't the outcome for many of them. Todd Palin is now another statistic of marital dreams that died by late middle age. It made me think of this classic 80s song where the lyrics reflect the tone of a disappointment and hardship - like a failed marriage. I am glad I never got married. I feel like I avoided a hurricane when news like this breaks out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTW99Qhs6Kg

Perhaps among some social classes, but among others, the standards weren't any lower in the 80s than they were before or have been since.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:18 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
While I don't wish for bad things to happen to the Palin's, as an Alaskan that's watched her rise in popularity, I don't think she earned respect. I don't live in Wasilla, so didn't participate in her election to mayor of Wasilla. But, I did participate in the election where she became governor of Alaska. Her campaign had nothing of substance and there was no way I was voting for her (and didn't). Then she quits half way through her term because she had stars in her eyes and went after the money. I'm sorry, you made a commitment for four years, you should serve your four years. I could go on but my point is that she doesn't deserve respect.
The fact that she resigned halfway through her term as governor is why I refuse to take her seriously as a politician and why I will never ever vote for her. People wanted her to be president. Sorry honey, if you can't handle Juneau you don't deserve to be in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska