Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 01:48 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesdream21 View Post
I am headed there in 2 weeks and staying 3 weeks.

Any help though on how to get there from texas on small budget.
Watch the movie...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 01:56 PM

Sunday, I am flying my plane back to Anchorage, maybe I will fly over the bus and take a photo of it if the weather is good.

These clowns that think it was a Wilderness Bus have no clue that there is a road to it (that is how it got there) and people have been going there for years before the idiot died there, and still are after his death.

The movie glamorized stupitiy and the followers of the kid just amaze me with how they have no concept of what an idiot he was. He may have hated his family, but he didn't respect Nature either and it's ability to kill him.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:04 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,702,727 times
Well the news will have something new to print again.

I thought they were going to haul that out of there.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:10 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Another lost cause.
Sounds like an LT...

Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 AM

Well tried to fly up by the bus to take some aerial photos of it, but the weather was too bad over that area. Will be headed back up on Thursday evening or Friday morning and will try to get a photo of the bus then. Passing over Broad Pass the weather wasn't very good either, cloud ceiling was at about 6,000 and couldn't see Mt. McKinley either. Really a grand site at 6,000 feet when the sky is clear!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorawatcher View Post
Well the news will have something new to print again.

I thought they were going to haul that out of there.
We should use that bus when advertising the state to lesser-48ers.

"Come see Alaska! Visit the bus, starve to death like an idiot, and have Hollywood make a movie about your stupidity!"

Old 06-30-2009, 09:12 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesdream21 View Post
What a elementary way of answering these peoples mind boggling way of human error and at all cost. I am from Texas and have traveled all around the world and me too i will be starting my adventure there in Healy. If you have any information as to the exact location; it would be most helpful. I am also trying to find my way from Austin MB on into Healy and ideas, is their a bus that can get me close and I will walk the rest. I am a special ops and army ranger and have survived off less than he ever did. Am I any brighter? probably not, just a guy searching for a new place to call home and enjoy natures very own.

Thanks for your writings on the matter and have a great weekend

Rick
Dead man walking.

You can travel all over the world, and still never encounter an environment like Alaska. I do not care how well trained in survival someone might be, if they did not train in Alaska they are novices. All the flora and fauna in Alaska are completely different from anything in the lower-48, Europe, Asia, South America, or Africa. It is a unique environment that people need to learn in Alaska.

I felt the same as you when I first arrived. I served in the Marine Corps during Vietnam and an avid hunter since age 8. I have hunted all over the lower-48. I was also EMT-W certified by the Red Cross just before I moved to Alaska. I felt very prepared.

It was only after I arrived that I learned just how unprepared I truly was. Damn little of what I knew about hunting in the lower-48 applied in Alaska. None of the vegetation I knew to be safe to eat existed in Alaska. I had to relearn just about everything I knew about living outdoors.

You may think you are prepared to live in Alaska's wilderness, but if you have never been to Alaska that is only hubris.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:34 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Probably never. I wonder how long it'll be before they make the movie into a tv show?
Hummmm, could always make it a game show and title it "Do Not Feed The Bears!"

Old 07-01-2009, 07:39 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You can travel all over the world, and still never encounter an environment like Alaska. I do not care how well trained in survival someone might be, if they did not train in Alaska they are novices. All the flora and fauna in Alaska are completely different from anything in the lower-48, Europe, Asia, South America, or Africa. It is a unique environment that people need to learn in Alaska.
Great imagination, wonderful story... and untrue.

An example that I experienced is worth repeating. A few decades ago we took my mother-in-law to visit my mother. One trip we made was to the Olympic Peninusula in western Washington, where these two old ladies walked through the rain forest comparing notes on virtually every plant they saw. They both knew of the same medicinal uses for each plant, they both knew which were not edible. It was fascinating because they both had the same store of information. In fact, the only plants they didn't know in common were the evergreen trees.

What makes that special, and the reason it applies to this discussion is that one of those ladies was born and raised in western Washington, and was a farm girl who had had all of her life an interest in botany. She was basically in her own back yard while the other lady was born in Kipnuk Alaska, on the western edge of Alaska bordering the Bering Sea. She did not even speak English, and her daughter translated between English and Yup'ik.

It is virtually the same plants and the same fauna and the requirements for survival are identical. Indeed, there are several locations in southern Arizona, no less, that provide an Arctic environment!

Old 07-03-2009, 03:15 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,609 times
Default flavors of idiocy

Out of all the various flavors of Alaska-themed idiocy, this fascination with that damned bus strikes me as perhaps the most inexplicable. Certainly not the MOST idiotic (that dubious honor accrues to Treadwell), but certainly odd.

Personally, I think they ought to blow the thing to smithereens, load it up with C-4 and make it into widely scattered confetti. Either that or drag the damned thing out with a bulldozer and park it somewhere the ambulances can reach when yet another dimwitted dreamer type decides to pass out there, for whatever reason.

It's just a bus, FFS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska