Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 11:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
She had 10 days notice to get her stuff out. They didn't just show up out of the blue.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that they should have stopped everything and gave her time to pack; was thinking more along the lines of a purse with ID and/or whatever money she had and any bags or boxes she'd packed during — anything that would take just a few seconds to grab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 02:47 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that they should have stopped everything and gave her time to pack; was thinking more along the lines of a purse with ID and/or whatever money she had and any bags or boxes she'd packed during — anything that would take just a few seconds to grab.

She had 10 days' notice. She could even have driven out of there, if her vehicle ran.

Plus, when the tow trucks arrived, she could have grabbed a few essentials before they got to her vehicle.

Apparently, what she was not allowed to do was unload all her paraphernalia out onto the ground.

Old 10-16-2023, 10:04 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
She had 10 days' notice. She could even have driven out of there, if her vehicle ran.

Plus, when the tow trucks arrived, she could have grabbed a few essentials before they got to her vehicle.

Apparently, what she was not allowed to do was unload all her paraphernalia out onto the ground.
She had been too busy attempting to push her truck out of the towing area, which seems to me a pretty dumb thing to do.

"..Greenewald said she had been handcuffed after trying to push the non-operable box truck through a hole in the fence. Police said she was arrested and charged with criminal mischief..."

Too bad about that massive airport firetruck being towed. It's kinda cool, and actually was operable!

At least, according to the owner. Foolish of him not to move it. Now he will have to pay a fee to recover the vehicle or it will end up being auctioned away.

Old 10-16-2023, 11:26 AM

I'll just go ahead and stick with my opinion that it couldn't have hurt to give her 10 seconds to grab whatever purse or bag she had inside, at least based on the limited information given in the article (which didn't mention anything about the items she wanted to retrieve being "paraphanalia"). She should have/could have done a lot of things, but she didn't. She likely wouldn't be in that position if she were good at making decisions.

What a terrible way that must be to live. Haven't heard anything further from the mayor about his plan to dump his problems on other states to pay for, in true Alaska fashion, at least.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-16-2023 at 12:00 PM..

Old 10-16-2023, 02:18 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Quote:
I'll just go ahead and stick with my opinion that it couldn't have hurt to give her 10 seconds to grab whatever purse or bag she had inside, at least based on the limited information given in the article (which didn't mention anything about the items she wanted to retrieve being "paraphanalia"). She should have/could have done a lot of things, but she didn't. She likely wouldn't be in that position if she were good at making decisions.
Yeah, there's a lack of basic humanity in the way they handle this. Being homeless is hard enough without authorities being unnecessarily punitive.

Old 10-16-2023, 02:51 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yeah, there's a lack of basic humanity in the way they handle this. Being homeless is hard enough without authorities being unnecessarily punitive.
We don't really know how it went down.

"..One woman, Madison Greenewald, said the box truck she had been living in for three weeks was towed without a chance for her to gather any belongings from it. All she had was what was in her pockets, she said: “A screwdriver, a lighter and two bolts.”

That's her side of the story. Period.

Old 10-16-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I was reading an article last week about how losing something like a piece of ID or a phone can be a (negative) tipping point for many homeless people.

The Anchorage news was saying something about how it isn't legal for them to impound vehicles that someone is living in, but I'm not sure if I heard it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2_m5rYfAI

Anchorage seems to have a few hotel rooms available for them, but it probably won't be enough.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/vi...nter-shelters/

Old 10-17-2023, 06:05 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

Too bad about that massive airport firetruck being towed. It's kinda cool, and actually was operable!

At least, according to the owner. Foolish of him not to move it. Now he will have to pay a fee to recover the vehicle or it will end up being auctioned away.

No, it is not cool to buy an impractical vehicle from an auction and drag it to city property to work on. The more about what I see and hear about what is going on, the more I realize why these people are homeless. They simply don't think ahead at all. Not even a little.

The squatters camp in the article was downtown (3rd and Ingra) and the biggest one in the city. There were more than just destitute people there. I read about a "mechanic" from Mat-Su (not an Anchorage resident) who bought 4 derelict cars and got them to that camp. He was going to "rebuild" their engines and sell them. Outside. In the dirt. On city property. Another guy bought a number of derelict box vans, dragged them to that growing slum and started renting them out.

The second biggest homeless camp/slum is in Cuddy Park, 300 yards from my office. What started off as a tent camp has ballooned into what is best described as a filthy RV trailer park situated in a junkyard. They've been given their 10 day notice too, but when the city shows up to clean the place out, you can bet your sweet behind that there will be a whole bunch of them who will act surprised and like it is their property they are being evicted from.

There is only so much empathy one can have.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:03 PM

The guy with the box vans has some sort of scheme to buy an oyster farm on the panhandle and put the homeless to work.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anch...-for-the-city/

Old 10-18-2023, 10:41 AM

2,032 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Quote:
The guy with the box vans has some sort of scheme to buy an oyster farm on the panhandle and put the homeless to work.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anch...-for-the-city/

He used to own the Bubbly Mermaid bar in downtown Anchorage. It was a very small bar that specialized in champagne and oysters. We've had a lot of fun in that bar. But somewhere during the pandemic things took a bad turn and he lost the bar. It was disheartening to hear he is trying to be a slum lord.

It would be great if an oyster farm run by homeless people worked out but I wouldn't bet on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska