Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 06:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
He used to own the Bubbly Mermaid bar in downtown Anchorage. It was a very small bar that specialized in champagne and oysters. We've had a lot of fun in that bar. But somewhere during the pandemic things took a bad turn and he lost the bar. It was disheartening to hear he is trying to be a slum lord.

It would be great if an oyster farm run by homeless people worked out but I wouldn't bet on it.
These small oyster farms down here were designed to be operated by one or two people and can't really support multiple workers, and since they operate on leases, there isn't room for expansion. And they're off-grid, and not in a way that means the local grocery store is an hour's drive away.

Was wondering whether that guy was charging people to live in those vehicles.

These derelict RV communities need to be stopped as soon as they get started, imo, or you end up with entire neighborhoods with one after another parked along the curb intersperesed with tents and chop shops. Anchorage is under the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit Court and is therefore required to allow sleeping in public spaces if there are no shelter spaces available, but that doesn't mean it has to be ANY public space; they can designate a certain area an disallow it everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2023, 09:39 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Seems New York City is trying to muscle in on our mayor's idea:

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/26/new...-plane-tickets

Old 11-04-2023, 02:14 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/0...27s%20my%20job.

https://abc7news.com/anchorage-alask...eles/13577879/

I'm not going to pretend to know what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure this isn't it.

Fly them up to the North Pole or across the strait to Kamchatka. That's out of state too, and cheaper.

Old 11-06-2023, 05:33 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
In NYC they have been buying one way bus tickets for homeless for years, nothing new to dump your homeless on others.

Old 11-10-2023, 09:43 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/0...27s%20my%20job.

https://abc7news.com/anchorage-alask...eles/13577879/

I'm not going to pretend to know what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure this isn't it.
How much money does Anchorage have to fly people to Honolulu at the taxpayer's expense?

Old 11-11-2023, 08:10 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
How much money does Anchorage have to fly people to Honolulu at the taxpayer's expense?
He mentioned a low fare to LA when discussing this at the time of being filmed.

But I'm sure Honolulu would be an option, if there happened to be any good deals floating about.
Someone told me of a $90 fare to Hawaii from Seattle or other west coast cities recently.

Not likely to see a real cheap fare to Hawaii from Anchorage anytime soon. Despite the cost, I'd imagine the mayor would argue this would be cheaper than keeping them in Alaska.

Old 11-14-2023, 04:15 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
The Anchorage homeless situation made for a story in the NYT today. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/13/u...ss-deaths.html

"...A running tally of homeless deaths kept by the city’s largest newspaper, The Anchorage Daily News, is now up to 49 — more than double last year’s toll.

“It is fairly depressing, just unimaginable, the number of deaths we have been having,” said Felix Rivera, a member of the Anchorage Assembly who leads the Housing and Homelessness Committee.

The harsh winters in Alaska have long brought dangers for those sleeping outside. But this year, those conditions have joined a confluence of other factors contributing to a dire situation: a housing crisis, the spread of fentanyl and a dearth of shelter beds after the city shuttered a large shelter in a city arena six months ago.,,"

Old 11-15-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
The Anchorage homeless situation made for a story in the NYT today. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/13/u...ss-deaths.html

"...A running tally of homeless deaths kept by the city’s largest newspaper, The Anchorage Daily News, is now up to 49 — more than double last year’s toll.

“It is fairly depressing, just unimaginable, the number of deaths we have been having,” said Felix Rivera, a member of the Anchorage Assembly who leads the Housing and Homelessness Committee.

The harsh winters in Alaska have long brought dangers for those sleeping outside. But this year, those conditions have joined a confluence of other factors contributing to a dire situation: a housing crisis, the spread of fentanyl and a dearth of shelter beds after the city shuttered a large shelter in a city arena six months ago.,,"

The Sullivan Arena was built as an entertainment building - hockey, basketball, music, etc. It never was intended to be, and isn't ideal, for a homeless shelter.

Had Mr. Rivera and the other assembly members gone at least part way with the mayor's plan (and I'm no fan of Bronson), the city would at least have something set up to accommodate people who just won't do anything until they are on the verge of death.

Old 11-15-2023, 11:07 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
The Sullivan Arena was built as an entertainment building - hockey, basketball, music, etc. It never was intended to be, and isn't ideal, for a homeless shelter.

Had Mr. Rivera and the other assembly members gone at least part way with the mayor's plan (and I'm no fan of Bronson), the city would at least have something set up to accommodate people who just won't do anything until they are on the verge of death.
What was the mayor's plan?

Old 11-15-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What was the mayor's plan?

Basically a giant tent built on city land. He wanted it to house a 1,000 people, which is ridiculous, but the city assembly fought him tooth and nail on doing anything. $2.5 million later and there is a foundation and nothing more. The mayor is inept but there should have been some sort of compromise.

As it is now, the congregate shelter this year is a garage the city used to maintain garbage trucks that was recently vacated when they opened a new solid waste facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska