Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 04:10 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
All they need is real Id not necessarily a passport. Plus - something could be arranged with Canada considering it is a transfer.
A transfer?

Alaska does not have bus service to the -48 or to any of its border crossings.

Here's what the DHS has to say about it, anyway. Edit: homeless people often don't even have basic ID; let alone "real ID" cards. Canada's also pretty strict about not allowing those with criminal records to come across the border, and I suspect they wouldn't make an exception for any of Alaska's homeless.

Quote:
No. REAL ID cards cannot be used for border crossings into Canada, Mexico or other international travel.
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/real-id-faqs

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-24-2023 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 08:47 PM

Seems like a lot so early in the winter.

Quote:
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - A shocking 50 people have died outdoors in Anchorage this year, according to the most recent statistics from the Anchorage Police Department.
https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/20...50-police-say/

Old 11-27-2023, 10:08 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
"Anchorage police define an outdoor death as someone who dies outside and has no fixed address. Last year, 24 people died."

Just curious how many of these are overdoses versus exposure?

Old 11-29-2023, 08:58 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
A transfer?

Alaska does not have bus service to the -48 or to any of its border crossings.

Here's what the DHS has to say about it, anyway. Edit: homeless people often don't even have basic ID; let alone "real ID" cards. Canada's also pretty strict about not allowing those with criminal records to come across the border, and I suspect they wouldn't make an exception for any of Alaska's homeless.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/real-id-faqs
Unless they lived in AK al their lives - they came from somewhere and it is no that difficult to track personal information.

Old 11-29-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Unless they lived in AK al their lives - they came from somewhere and it is no that difficult to track personal information.
No one said it wasn't, but I'm not sure how that applies to sticking them on a nonexistent bus through a country that won't let them across the border
or whatever it is you mean by "transfers."

Those from out of state with someone willing to take them in on the other end can get help with transportation home through the Salvation Army. The mayor's bright idea was to simply hand out plane tickets to anyone who wanted them, essentially dumping Alaska's homeless (many of whom are Natives from villages) on other communities. I've tried to make that clear throughout that thread, but I don't think very many understood it.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-29-2023 at 10:59 AM..

Old 11-29-2023, 12:02 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
No one said it wasn't, but I'm not sure how that applies to sticking them on a nonexistent bus through a country that won't let them across the border
or whatever it is you mean by "transfers."

Those from out of state with someone willing to take them in on the other end can get help with transportation home through the Salvation Army. The mayor's bright idea was to simply hand out plane tickets to anyone who wanted them, essentially dumping Alaska's homeless (many of whom are Natives from villages) on other communities. I've tried to make that clear throughout that thread, but I don't think very many understood it.
No, you have not made it clear. Moving Natives is not doing anyone any good.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:11 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Is was clear to me this was their opinion. I'm glad we're all in agreement about this.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure I did make it clear on the first page of this thread (and throughout, because it kept drifting). Mostly, I was thinking of those from the villages who'd be unequipped to even begin to deal with hitting the streets of someplace like LA or Portland with no money, not knowing anyone, and most of all, without the street skills necessary to survive in those environments.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-29-2023 at 04:11 PM..

Old 12-04-2023, 05:00 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
He doesn't seem to have any sort of concrete plan except to furnish one-way tickets to the homeless. So some 18-year-old Native kid fresh from a village decides he wants to go to LA on a whim, and that's all for them.
The plan, whichever it may be, has to be approved by the legislature, not by one of the leaders (mayor, governor, and so on). The news dates back to July this year, and I wonder what the latest news about the plan is? Has the legislature done anything about the plan already? Just wondering.

Anyway, there is no way the legislature would approve a plan that would include AK Natives moving out of Alaska unless they requested it. I was unable to find any news articles that have been published after July this year.
https://alaskapublic.org/2023/07/25/...ess-residents/
Quote:
“It’s not difficult to administer,” Bronson said. “Someone says, ‘I want to go to Los Angeles or San Diego or Seattle or Kansas.’ It’s not our business. My job is to make sure they don’t die on Anchorage streets.”

Bronson said the plan would work similarly to efforts made by the Salvation Army last year, getting tickets for homeless campers who were staying at Centennial Park campground. The Bronson administration moved many homeless people there after shuttering the Sullivan Arena shelter that summer.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-04-2023 at 05:18 PM..

Old 12-04-2023, 05:53 PM

I first posted about this in August and am quite aware that there are no current articles about it; as I've stated, the plan has been DOA for quite some time.

No, Ray; municipalities (and nonprofits) all over the country provide tickets to homeless residents without the approval of state legislatures and have been doing so for decades. State legislatures are do not oversee municipal initiatives. That's what Bronson was talking about. Additionally:

Quote:
Anyway, there is no way the legislature would approve a plan that would include AK Natives moving out of Alaska unless they requested it
Sigh. Of COURSE it would be at the request of the homeless person. NO ONE said anything different; and your own link says as much. Not sure where you even got the impression it was about anything else, let alone moving Natives out of Alaska against their will. SMH.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-04-2023 at 06:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska