Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:50 PM

251 posts, read 706,476 times

Advertisements

Warpt,

Sure am, just a few changes of pace on the current homefront.
(Things happen when you least want them to.)
Should be before winter hits for certain.
I cannot tell you how eagerly I am looking forward to (and dreading) it all.

-Spleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:58 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
There has been a few new people from CD that moved here to Bethel. I have yet to see how they are doing and how they like it here from a couple of them. One of them is having a great time here. They work at the hospital. Better later than never, huh?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:03 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleenificus View Post
Warpt,

Sure am, just a few changes of pace on the current homefront.
(Things happen when you least want them to.)
Should be before winter hits for certain.
I cannot tell you how eagerly I am looking forward to (and dreading) it all.

-Spleen
Well looky here what drug in the cat!!!! good to hear from ya again, thought you had fallen off the edge of the earth! Was askin' about you about a month or so ago. responses ranged from " I dunno" to some rumor you had gone to Tibet and were sitting on a mountain top working with your "OOOOHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM" meter.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM

Born on a yellow light, daddy-O.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:11 PM

Oh yeah, and Tibet was fabulous.
Well, at least for the Tibetans who were there...

Old 08-02-2008, 05:51 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
My good friend, who is an Alaskan native and law enforcement pro, has suggested a M1 Garand. You can't beat the caliber(30-06) and semi-auto capability. I'd like to get one of those and a M-14, which I absolutely love given that's what I learned on one many moons ago in boot camp. It's only a .762 NATO(.308) but I love the accuracy and 20 round clip.
The M-1 Garand is a pretty heavy rifle to be dragging around the place, not to mention you can't have a clip in it that holds more than five rounds or you will get yourself into hot water with Fish and Game. There is a company that makes a five round clip for them (don't remember the company name), but I would just as soon carry a 300 Mag. It has better range and more knock down that an 30-06 does.

I had a Garand for years and in the winter they are pretty much worthless in the extreme cold if you put any type of lubricant on it, the slide won't move and it won't cycle a round when fired. I had to clean it and put no oil or grease on it at all. I will take a revolver over a semi-automatic pistol for the same reason, simple is the best policy....

Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallon View Post
Not surprising about the ranges. The military .50 cal round will pass through 8 or 10 inches of cast iron. I think it would pass through a couple of woolly mammoths. Just the thing for Alaska. And if the marines can hit a man sized target at over a mile, who knows how many miles a wild round could carry.
I have a friend that has one, they are novel if you are in a tower, but to cart around like he does for hunting is a real pain... litterally.

He can shoot at a moose at a thousand yards, the noise fades, the moose flips feet skyward and then a "thwack!" is finely heard. Takes few seconds for the sound to get back to the shooter.

He shot a Caribou from laying the gun across my snow machine seat some years ago, the muzzle blast ripped the windshield off my snow machine and damaged the cowling... Nope, nice toy, but I don't have any use for one. Besides, with that kind of range, it would take two days to hike to something you shoot a thousand yards away though the underbrush here in most of Alaska...

Old 08-02-2008, 06:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I suspect the .357 mag may be a bit light for use on large bear
There is the WW2 story of a Navy Chief in Alaska that took a Thompson .45 SMG out of the the ship's arms room and went off into the woods and didn't return. They found him under a tree mauled to death by a bear with an empty 50 round drum and a blood trail leading away. They found the huge bear about 2 miles away dead from blood loss with 39 .45 cal slugs in it.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:01 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,686,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I haven't fired it yet. I'm trying to get some frangible ammunition so I can shoot it on an indoor range. The bullets will go through an inch of steel. I think the maximum range is around 12000 yards.

Indoor Range????? That would be like driving a Lamborghini around the Wal-Mart parking lot.

That rifle gives a whole new meaning to "Reach out and touch someone".

Old 08-02-2008, 07:04 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Remember, though, that more people are hurt by the guns they carry than are hurt by bears.
This is total B.S. Source please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska