Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 PM

14 posts, read 26,026 times

Advertisements

My mother's 12 1/2 year old lab/mutt was killed by two pit bulls last week in her own backyard. They broke through the wooden fence in between her and the neighbor's house and tore him to shreds. (We're in Palmer, by the way.) Why aren't there adequate laws protecting people/pets, etc... from dog owners who want to own these animals? They were not spayed/neutered - the owner wanted to breed them for assistance dogs (really?!). Other neighbors tried to get the dogs away from him and had to stop when pits began coming at them. They were fighting each other over their 'kill' and lunged at police officer who ended up shooting and injuring one of the dogs. The other got loose and was found the next day. As far as I know the dogs are in quarantine and should be put down. I fear for my mother and neighborhood kids if they are released back to this owner. It just as easily could have been a person these animals attacked. Not many people would fare well against them. Any ideas to prevent this from happening again and do you think the city has a right to prevent ownership of certain breeds? Many other countries have already implemented laws banning certain pets. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:16 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
Very sorry to hear about you mothers dogs. As a big animal lover, I know how you and your mother most feel.
Yes there should be laws on how your animals are taken care of. Most towns or city have them, Wasilla does, I would think Palmer would to.

As far as banning certain breeds, I say NO. Pits can be as loving as any other dog, it mostly has to do with their up bring.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:20 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
I think you should have to apply for a license/permit to buy a dog or cat. It's sad that this happened and it's also sad for the pit bulls who probably were abused while growing up.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:29 PM

It's my understanding they were only 1 1/2 years old. I have no idea how they were raised, but they did tell my mom they were supposed to have been let out seperately in the backyard, but his wife or kids let them out together. That just tells me they have probably had problems with them in the past, although they deny this. Swear up and down they're the most gentle dogs ever... blah...blah...blah. Doesn't turn back the clock. I hope the owners are punished enough that they will take the necessary steps so it won't ever happen again. Or they will realize they are not capable of raising a large breed dog.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I am very sorry about what happened to your mother's dog; that must have been beyond horrific.

Pit bulls are high maintainance breeds and all too many owners simply do not possess the animal handling skills necessary to prevent them from becoming a danger to the other living creatures around them.

Some communities do have ordinances against them but I am not sure if that is the case anywhere in Alaska.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,771 times
I'm very sorry for what your mom had to endure, as well as her dog. It must have been heartbreaking for her. Those owners should have kenneled those dogs, or at least reinforced the fence to prevent such a tragedy. There had to have been warning signs. Dogs don't just "go off" one day, unless it's a brain tumor or something.

My cousin has a Pit Bull and she is the sweetest thing ever. They actually got her from an abusive owner situation. The problem isn't the breed, but terrible breeding practices, and bad owners. It seems that every ghetto rat with a bad attitude and low self esteem has to go get a Pit Bull to look tough. Really sad. I feel bad for those good people who are dedicated to the breed for all of the right reasons, and face unnecessary scrutiny due to the irresponsible behavior of people who have no business owning dogs.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 PM

I completely agree. My mother got home in time to see her dog being dragged around by these monsters. It's a horror I can only imagine. I'm thankful though that it happened now and not this summer when my own children are playing in that very same yard.

Last edited by alaskamomto4; 01-18-2010 at 12:00 AM..

Old 01-18-2010, 12:11 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamomto4 View Post
I completely agree. My mother got home in time to see her dog being dragged around by these monsters. It's a horror I can only imagine. I'm thankful though that it happened now and not this summer when my own children are playing in that very same yard.
There was a pit in the yard close to my son's preschool. They had it fenced, but when we'd walk by, it would lunge against the fence in a very vicious manner. I did express concerns to Animal Control and they seemed to think that my concerns were breed specific. And in a way they were; if the dog had been a Pekenese it certainly wouldn't have been as worrisome. I finally had to decide that walking two blocks to pre school wasn't a good idea. I know dogs very well; this one wasn't playing. I've also witnessed a loose pit as it killed my cat.

When this sort of thing happens, they usually put the dog (s) down. Fair enough. But all too often the owners go without sanctions at all. I'm in favor of legislation that holds these people criminally responsible no matter what the breed is.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
The owners should be held. Not the breed. My dog is a Border Collie and he sounds (and can act) horrible in the truck. He would just lick something coming up but scares the hell out of people. that being said. He is never off leash unless in back country. I leave my windows in SUV now in Hawaii up enough he can't possible do anything to anyone.

Pit bulls, rotts, Dobies, etc including my dog can do harm if wanted to a person, kid. I had a friend of mines kid walk into a Rotts pen (theirs) and after 20 surgeries he is almost normal. But he walked into their pen, and she turned her back for 5 minutes.

Here in Hawaii the Pits are the pig dogs. But I also know some Pits, Bulley a female that is amazing, sits in back of the truck for owner while he works. She is the sweeetest dog I have ever met. I had a house setting pit bull that shared his food with a stray kitten. Would wake in the am to the kitten sucking on his neck. The Pit would give up his food.

It isn't a breed problem it is a humane problem in my opinion. If a certain dog is aggressive no matter what the breed. Contain it or put it down. Love animals and again said mine can behave in an agressive manner barking but I will not put up with it and if he every went after someone no matter how much I love him he would be shot. I do contain him for a saftey precaution. He isn't bad, most people think he is the best behaved dog they have seen. But I will not allow him to test weither to get shot either.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:56 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your mother's dog and also for her. As an animal lover I can only begin to imagine how she feels and the thought of this makes me sick.

As far as banning certain breeds, absolutely not, I am very much against that. Once they start with a breed it gets totally out of hand as evidenced by this list. They even have a Pug on the list.

List Of 75 Banned Or Restricted Breeds Is your Dog On The New List??You Might Be Suprised.

Many states in the -48 require a 6 foot fence, liability insurance and for the pit to be muzzled at all times outside of it's own yard. The insurance is very expensive. I have owned 3 purebred pits in the past and currently have a mixed pit. There was never a problem with them being around cats or other dogs. It has to do with breeding and how these dogs are raised. As far as those who own them for a "macho" status I won't even go there since it makes me furious. It's as they say, "ban the owners, not the breed." Again, I am so sorry for what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska