Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,810,802 times

Advertisements

perfect cure for that problem Granny...either poison them or shoot 'em

got my 2 over bait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Oh lordy, you poor Granny! I would be thoroughly pissed and not a little worried. They should be behind a sturdy chain-link fence, not at the end of a rope. Any law enforcement in the area you can just casually share your concerns with? You might be given some ideas you hadn't thought of. I'd hate having that in my back yard.
We have a fence around us, rather flimsy in my mind, but it keeps mine in if they see a limit, but it will be reinforced shortly, as I have no doubt the capability with the size of these guys. And yes...a city cop lives out here in the boonies next door and that will be my next step. I haven't seen the people back there too much since I don't go back there often, but they are cleaning the yard and burning brush, literally cleaning the place up, but no fence of their own. They are just not good dog people with them tied all day at least for about 2 weeks that I've noticed them. The guns are nearby, which I won't use unless really provoked....We are reinforcing the fence on that end with 6 foot wood as that has now become our priority, I refuse to worry about going outside, letting mine out, or Lizzy going out....so a couple more weeks, but something has to be done with them and I am sure they would be better if they were in their own fence. We are strangers to them with three dogs that have the freedom they don't, and I am sure the dogs know that. Talking to the cop next door tomorrow...

Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 PM

14 posts, read 26,038 times
Alaskapat...Read it again...I didn't say pit bull owners...I was referring to any dog that can inflict serious harm or death.

But, since you brought it up, why are you so adamantly defending the pit bull? Because you have owned them and didn't have a problem? I'm not trying to attack you, but for arguments sake, please read a little about their history, and you'll see why I wouldn't brag about bloodlines: Classic Pit Bulls
I find it very interesting that the UKC was formed solely because the AKC wanted nothing to do with pit bulls at the time. That should tell you something about their bloodlines or what many might call 'fightlines.' If it walks like a duck...

Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 PM

879 posts, read 1,732,199 times
One of the scariest dogs I ever knew was a friends Golden Retriever. He was a 110 lb male, neutered, but with the worst attitude you've ever seen. He couldn't be in the house if friends came over because he would go off. He had to be put down, if I recall correctly, for biting. He never bit me, though he did lunge one time. I was bitten, however, by a friends Doberman, right on my rear end. I didn't even see it coming. I was walking towards my friend, and apparently she thought I posed a threat. All four of her canines went right through my jeans into the back of my thigh. Not only were there puncture wounds, but a lot of bruising.

I was also attacked by a friends cousins Rottweiler while we were out at the lake. We were playing baseball with a wooden bat, and a tennis ball, and I walked around the corner of his truck to retrieve the ball which had rolled under it when the dog, tied on a chain, lunged at my throat. Luckily, having bat in hand, I forced it into his jaws and was only scratched by a tooth. I fell backwards, and out of his reach as the chain pulled taught. If he wasn't on that chain, I would've been torn up, even with the bat because the whole thing happened so fast.

The point is, there are many dangerous dogs. I think the problem with Pit Bull attacks is that the dogs are relentless once they go off. They don't stop, as Rance's post illustrates. Many dogs will bite once, maybe a few times, then leave the victim alone. It's the tenacity of the Pit Bull which is most troublesome. They are not the strongest of dog breeds, but it is this never say die attitude which results in serious injury or death.

It's not surprising that owners report that their dogs never showed any signs of aggression prior to the attacks. Does anyone here honestly think they would say "yeah, the dog has been aggressive his/her entire life, and it was only a matter of time until this happened"? Of course not! But, the fact is, these people are living with a dangerous animal, and either they saw the warning signs and decided not to do anything about them, or they were too ignorant to even understand them.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Nothing near that exciting...

Bit by a seal a couple years ago attempting to kick 'em off my dock...they have very sharp teeth, I won't be doing that again anytime soon

Friggen raccoon....ungrateful low life

stud colt....came up behind me in the barn and got the back of my arm, they do that, that really hurts..I gave him a bloody nose and he got his nuts cut off a few days later which took that teenage crappolla outta him

Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Nothing near that exciting...

Bit by a seal a couple years ago attempting to kick 'em off my dock...they have very sharp teeth, I won't be doing that again anytime soon
That was one of the times the cops had to chase you down at the coffee shop for kicking seals, right? I remember that.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 PM

Blabber mouth....

Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 PM

879 posts, read 1,732,199 times
My past gf had an 8 lb mini Dachshund who, had she been 100 lbs, would have been one of the scariest animals ever known to man. I made the mistake of trying to take away a chicken bone from her- once. 8 lbs of snarling snapping fury told me that was a bad move. She'd disappear into the cathouse, her "lair", and there was no getting her out until she darned well wanted to come. Oh, she was "cute", but the nastiness was only ever a moment away...

Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 PM

14 posts, read 26,038 times
Captain Crunch...hilarious!
Nomadic Bear...noted the past gf part.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 PM

akmom....ya seen any of our Alaska Hatfields or McCoys up that way recently ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska