Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:53 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Again, the law was changed in 2004 specifically because of the Murkowski fiasco. Don't you recall voting on it? It was Proposition 4 in 2004.

If you don't want to believe the liberal rag the ADN, look it up in the state statutes.
Appears by the story, the State didn't get it right either... Neither is valid until the Court rules on them since they conflict and may not even be in legal under the State's Constatution... Time will tell.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:58 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Appears by the story, the State didn't get it right either... Neither is valid until the Court rules on them since they conflict and may not even be in legal under the State's Constatution... Time will tell.
Sorry, but it's valid legislation; as I said, check the statutes. What the Court could actually be ruling on is whether the governor can appoint an interim. It's basically just a matter of a discrepancy in two similar laws.

Quote:
Bottom line: if the Senate seat were to open up, voters would get to choose a new senator in a special election within 90 days. In the meantime, it would be up to Gov. Sarah Palin to decide whether to trigger a quick constitutional test by appointing an interim senator.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
I think the personal attacks are getting really old and are very immature. Disagree with her politically and that is absolutely fine but to bash her and actually slump to calling her stupid...this is someone's mother, wife and daughter...have a heart!
tried to give you kudos, but couldn't. Let's face it, some people are so immature they have no choice but to revert to name calling. I think I outgrew that in the 5th grade???? There will always be differences of opinion on most issues, especially politics, some on here have interesting views and comments, which I may not agree with but enjoy reading and hearing their reasoning, others are so far off base (especially the insults and name calling) that they make themselves look pretty damn stupid or childesh at best...Thankfully they are not the ones that influence anyones voting thoughts.

Nita

Old 10-30-2008, 08:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
No surprise
youtube isn't the media??? What would you call it?

Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Not at all. I said that claiming we should eliminate the checks and balances in our government, as a way to control politicians, is ignorant of our Constitution.What as that got to do with a discussion of checks and balances between branches of the government?

Regardless of the lack of continuity in your commentary, let me point out the "special interests" ARE constituents. They are the constituents that get something you and I receive no benefit from.

"Special Interests" is a whole lot like perversion! What you do that I don't, is perverted. What I do that you don't, well... that's just good fun stuff!
Excellent point, we're all part of some "special interest", and passing legislation/programs that the majority want is what democracy is all about.
However, we are not, and have not been for some decades, a true democracy. What we are is a plutocracy: a rule by $$. That's why special interests have come to mean the fat cats; it's because money triumphs over people 9 times out of 10.

But maybe-just maybe- this that tenth time.

Last edited by Geechie North; 10-30-2008 at 09:05 AM..

Old 10-30-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
youtube isn't the media??? What would you call it?

Media.

The problem is that the once-proud US media has become a mouthpiece for the six or so corporations that own 95% of it. Couple that with a court ruling that frees it from the burden of having to report facts, and you've got the reason why Youtube, The Daly Show, etc are where to find hard news in today's America.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
One thing that was pretty interesting about the pollster's, when they call, the Democrats are more willing to answer questions and talk with them, most of the calls to registered Republicans hang up, so the polls only reflect that of the people that answered the questions and tend to favor the Democrats.

You are more than welcome to your line of reason, but keep in mind that "Republicans don't talk to pollsters" ruse was not found to be valid.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 AM

959 posts, read 2,361,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

Media.

The problem is that the once-proud US media has become a mouthpiece for the six or so corporations that own 95% of it. Couple that with a court ruling that frees it from the burden of having to report facts, and you've got the reason why Youtube, The Daly Show, etc are where to find hard news in today's America.
Geech, I'd really like to hear hard evidence behind this GD "coroporate conspiracy theory" I hear so often from liberals, my brother included. Is it dope-induced paranoia or a real belief that public records are really all lies? Because if you look at public records to decipher who owns what, the reality is that it's spread pretty wide as far as ownership. Do some have more than their share? Yup--it's called capitalism. Get it, keep it, use it. Whether for good or for evil; that's up to us consumers to decide. Apparently most of us sheeple out there like what's being served. So--it ain't really the fault of the evil corporations at all. It's more like *gasp* the fault of the masses!
Oh chit, I said it! I love Americans, but man we is dumb sometimes!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:

You are more than welcome to your line of reason, but keep in mind that "Republicans don't talk to pollsters" ruse was not found to be valid.
Well I don't and all the ones I know don't, and there is a lot of them.

Except of course when you are bored and just want to mess with them....

Where was this "Ruse" found to be "not valid"?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:58 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
Quote:
However, we are not, and have not been for some decades, a true democracy.
Since we have NEVER been a "true democracy", as our Constitution made clear right from the start, I'm not sure what to make of that statement! :-)

We are (or were) a democratic Republic, not a democracy.
Quote:
What we are is a plutocracy: a rule by $$. That's why special interests have come to mean the fat cats; it's because money triumphs over people 9 times out of 10.
Can't argue with the "plutocracy" description.

But typically "special interest groups" can also be people on welfare, or who get a road or a bridge... Anything someone wants to complain about where money is spent and the problem is that they didn't get some of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska