Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:42 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
That would be a very good first step. That is why the President has such a hard time with Congress, they are there forever and figure they will just wait him out.

Then the infighting is from decades of entreachment on both sides of the party. Limiting terms would be a good way to kill that almost overnight.
I would also start by breaking the lock of the two-party system. Some good old "free market competition" is what we need to get those bums to wake up and work for their paychecks like the rest of us. The two party system only results in one bunch of crooks replacing the other every few years, then swapping again after they get stale and corrupt as well.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
That would be a very good first step. That is why the President has such a hard time with Congress, they are there forever and figure they will just wait him out.

Then the infighting is from decades of entreachment on both sides of the party. Limiting terms would be a good way to kill that almost overnight.
Term limits and 4 year terms for congress, keeping the 6 for Senate. Right now congressmen and women have to campaign the day they are elected for the next term..It isn't only unbelievably expensive it is time consuming and if they can't accomplish something in x number of years, gvie someone else a shot.

Nita

Old 11-04-2008, 11:45 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
I didn't think it would..

You look down your nose at folks here and cut on them. When it suits you are not from Alaska and hammer on those that are, when it suits you, you claim to be Alaskan.

When someone doesn't agree with you, you go to other threads and badmouth them in pubic as if they don't know about it. If I have a problem, I will stand toe to toe with anyone.

If you don't grasp that, I will post some of your posts to help refresh your memory.
Yes, I have no doubt that you've been tracking my posts. And anything I said about you clowns was brought on by yourselves when you chose to follow me to other threads with nothing but personal slams. Do you honestly think that I give a rat's ass that you and your fellow knuckle draggers know exactly what I think of you? I've said nothing in "other threads" that I haven't said in this one.

I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand that I live in two different places. It's rather nice having the best of both worlds But it's also really none of your business, just like it's none of your business that I'll be going back to AK in a couple of months and leaving in the fall--because I can

I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:52 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Term limits and 4 year terms for congress, keeping the 6 for Senate. Right now congressmen and women have to campaign the day they are elected for the next term..It isn't only unbelievably expensive it is time consuming and if they can't accomplish something in x number of years, gvie someone else a shot.

Nita
You are forgetting that power is determined by seniority in Congress. While that doesn't mean as much in the Senate where every state has two Senators, it is incredibly important to the less populous states in the House.

It has taken 18 terms to make Rep. Don Young the third ranking Republican member and the seventh ranking overall member of the House of Representatives, and that seniority has paid off for Alaska.

Term limits in the House would ensure that states with small populations never receive the same benefits states with larger populations receive. A very bad idea.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:54 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Sorry, no dice.

It was the Bush propaganda along with Fox News who "convinced" those who don't read and care about the world at large. Those of us who do knew all along that W was telling an egregious lie.
Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. You can always be right in all of your decisions. Of course your decisions don't matter one bit when they're made after the fact.

I didn't realize Bush and Fox News had so much power to influence the world prior to the invasion. I remember a good deal of the arguments against invading Iraq were that Saddam would unleash his WMDs, killing thousands of our troops.

I do agree he acted on faulty intelligence, but that's hindsight again. If you're next argument is that he fabricated the WMD intelligence, that really won't hold up. In order for him to have done it, it would take a large conspiracy and time extending into the Clinton era to have pulled it off. One thing about a large conspiracy is that several people will eventually talk, exposing the conspiracy. Since this hasn't occurred and if you follow Occam's razor, he acted on faulty intelligence.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yes, I have no doubt that you've been tracking my posts. And anything I said about you clowns was brought on by yourselves when you chose to follow me to other threads with nothing but personal slams. Do you honestly think that I give a rat's ass that you and your fellow knuckle draggers know exactly what I think of you? I've said nothing in "other threads" that I haven't said in this one.
Guess I don't have to do the posts, you just admitted doing it so your memory it good.

Don't you feel much better now getting that off your chest!

Simpley put, I don't go to other threads and whine that someone picked on my views. Then badmouth them as if they couldn't hear me.

You do give a "Rats A$$" because that is what you have been doing, to and about a lot of people.

Oh, and I don't follow you to other threads to slam you or anyone else, if I see a good point to make, I make it. Following you around isn't appealing anyway, sorry.

Ninty percent of your "Rants" don't have me or most others anywhere near your posting other than direct responses from the topic thread.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,270,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I do agree he acted on faulty intelligence, but that's hindsight again. If you're next argument is that he fabricated the WMD intelligence, that really won't hold up. In order for him to have done it, it would take a large conspiracy and time extending into the Clinton era to have pulled it off. One thing about a large conspiracy is that several people will eventually talk, exposing the conspiracy. Since this hasn't occurred and if you follow Occam's razor, he acted on faulty intelligence.
Sorry, you don't get to reinvent history. The intelligence was cherry-picked to make a case for war. The biggest whopper even became a cause celebre (remember Joe Wilson of the Valerie Plame fame?).

The funny thing is - except for the small coterie of neocons and their right wing minions, everyone today is convinced that Bush lied us into a needless war.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:29 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
The two year terms is a bit short and keeps them on the stump way too long. A four year term would be a lot better. Then limit them to two terms so they can learn the job and leave before it totally screws them and America up... Should be two years off the Presidents cycle too.

Even when Alaska could use the Seniority like Don has, being that long in that job tends to remove them from the reality of the State they are from. I will still vote for him, not because he is the best guy, but because he has that seniority now and that does matter until they redo the term limits where it is more of a "Nation's" job than State.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Sorry, you don't get to reinvent history. The intelligence was cherry-picked to make a case for war. The biggest whopper even became a cause celebre (remember Joe Wilson of the Valerie Plame fame?).

The funny thing is - except for the small coterie of neocons and their right wing minions, everyone today is convinced that Bush lied us into a needless war.
I have yet to see you post any of Bush's so-called lies. Just because you say it is so, doesn't make it so. There were indeed WMDs found in Iraq, and Iraq had indeed sponsored, trained, and harbored international terrorist organizations since 1977. That alone made Iraq a legitimate military target under Public Law 107-40 (sponsored by Sen. Daschle).

What truly irks you is the fact that we defeated Saddam and liberated Iraq and accomplished all the goals Bush established in 2003. Your obvious hatred for Bush has warped you to the point of utterly despising any accomplishment made under his administration. I have no doubt you supported Clinton's bombing of Iraq for two years continuously, and his unprovoked invasions of Haiti and Kosovo. It is only the actions of Republicans where you have an irrational hatred. Just another typical hate-filled liberal hypocrite who can't cope with reality, nothing more.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
When someone doesn't agree with you, you go to other threads and badmouth them in pubic as if they don't know about it. If I have a problem, I will stand toe to toe with anyone.
Excuse me? I did exactly that in the ridiculous little thread about "real Alaskans" where you where you kept blathering on maudlinly about how I'm not an "Alaskan".

And I have every right to post in the elections forum; after all, political talk is discouraged in this one, and probably not the best place for it.

As far as "bad mouthing" anyone here, get real. That didn't happen until I disagreed that Palin was a poor choice as VP, and got followed there by a couple of people here who had nothing to add to the conversation besides personal slams. And I stand behind everything I said.

If you honestly thought I was trying to hide anything by anything I said, you are once again highly mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska