Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,549 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to put myself in George Bush's place lately, and wow, that must suck.

This man was our country's president for 8 years. He made many decisions we don't agree with, but he also made at least a few very good decisions that have gone largely unnoticed due to our country's feeding frenzy on him.

Attacks on Bush went from humorous to ugly, demeaning, disrespectful in the extreme; even politicians from his own party are now treating him like a pariah. I don't think, no matter what he did/didn't do, that our country's leader deserves that BS--it shows a lack of respect from many that is downright scary. This devisiveness threatens our country, no matter WHO is elected today.

The President must make decisions that affect people's lives and futures on a daily basis; decisions that may and do cost lives of our own. Do you think for one minute that those decisions come lightly, or without regret or thought, from ANY president?

Let's have a little respect for the man as he walks out the door. Could most of you (or me) done much better, given the same circumstances, conditions, and support? I sincerely doubt it.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Thanks for an answer. I like the idea of term limits but I like the idea of the voters being able to choose who they vote for better regardless of how long that person has been in office. Sometimes an experienced politician might be a better choice. I know that a lot of states have tried to implement term limits though.
Unfortunately, that's what everyone will think about their representatives in Congress.

Term limits are the only way I can see getting rid of the bad. The fact that you'll get rid of some of the good is just a cost of the solution.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Sorry, you don't get to reinvent history.
But you do?

Quote:
The funny thing is - except for the small coterie of neocons and their right wing minions, everyone today is convinced that Bush lied us into a needless war.
Again it's the hindsight thing. I don't remember many speaking out before that he way lying. I guess if you say it long enough and loud enough, it must be true.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:32 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,268,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Again it's the hindsight thing. I don't remember many speaking out before that he way lying.
Hah! Which dimension were you in during the run-up to the war? There was a cacophony of people speaking out against the war with very sound reasons for their position. These weren't all "Far Left" whackos. You seem like a distinguished alumni of the "I-don't-remember-it-therefore-it-didn't-happen" school.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:32 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
I have been trying to put myself in George Bush's place lately, and wow, that must suck.

This man was our country's president for 8 years. He made many decisions we don't agree with, but he also made at least a few very good decisions that have gone largely unnoticed due to our country's feeding frenzy on him.

Attacks on Bush went from humorous to ugly, demeaning, disrespectful in the extreme; even politicians from his own party are now treating him like a pariah. I don't think, no matter what he did/didn't do, that our country's leader deserves that BS--it shows a lack of respect from many that is downright scary. This devisiveness threatens our country, no matter WHO is elected today.

The President must make decisions that affect people's lives and futures on a daily basis; decisions that may and do cost lives of our own. Do you think for one minute that those decisions come lightly, or without regret or thought, from ANY president?

Let's have a little respect for the man as he walks out the door. Could most of you (or me) done much better, given the same circumstances, conditions, and support? I sincerely doubt it.
What an excellent post! the office of the Presidency should have our respect, no matter who occupies it. We may disagree on policies but we shouldn't be calling the President such foul names. It only points to an individual's baseness and lack of class to do that.

The decisions a president makes don't come lightly and are not frivolous. We ought to remember that he has far more input and information that we do, without which we cannot fully understand the decisions. On the world stage, here's a lot that goes on in conversations between the president and other leaders. We don't know any of these deliberations, so we should be a bit more courteous, even cautious, when pronouncing our judgements.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
But you do?

Again it's the hindsight thing. I don't remember many speaking out before that he way lying. I guess if you say it long enough and loud enough, it must be true.
One thing so many forget, we gave him (not Bush) Hussein months to get rid of the WMD. That is like, telling the enemy exactly when we will pull out of Iraq. This is not saying, I live the war or we should have gone in, as mentioned hindsight is 20/20 or better, but there is more to this than most of us know...

Nita

Old 11-04-2008, 01:41 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
These people running for office can make any promise they want to, once elected they have to run most everything through the "system" and get the backing to put it into law...Most of time rather than working together, it ends up being a long drawn-out stalemate due to the party "control issues." We can only hope that whomever wins this election does what is right for the men and women we have in the military around the world to keep them safe and bring them home. There are a lot of messes on the homefront that have been in the making for years by both parties, that need cleaning up and is going to take more than four years to do. The president is not much more than a title, with many "experts" giving information that gets construed probably more often than not, and then the advice on what to do, what to say....This is our life, and our children's, grandchildren's future that is in their hands....

Old 11-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
One thing so many forget, we gave him (not Bush) Hussein months to get rid of the WMD. That is like, telling the enemy exactly when we will pull out of Iraq. This is not saying, I live the war or we should have gone in, as mentioned hindsight is 20/20 or better, but there is more to this than most of us know...
Nita
Oh I see. The fanboys and fangirls now finding ex post facto extenuating circumstances for their naked Emperor.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:47 PM

I recall on the eve of the first Iraq war in 1990 how George Herbert Walker Bush - and I am not particularly an admirer of the guy - wrestled with his decision to give the final go-ahead. There were TV shots of him looking visibly disturbed, seeking solace from Rev. Graham, that he had to start the war, but you got the sense of a man who had grappled with the issues before arriving at the final decision. With George W. 'Bring it on' Bush, on the other hand, all you got was empty bravado, a zeal to rush headlong into war without any thought of the consequences. See where it got us.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Hah! Which dimension were you in during the run-up to the war? There was a cacophony of people speaking out against the war with very sound reasons for their position. These weren't all "Far Left" whackos. You seem like a distinguished alumni of the "I-don't-remember-it-therefore-it-didn't-happen" school.
I'm from the one closer to reality than you. Much of the rhetoric against invading were based on Saddam would use his WMDs on the invading force so we should continue sanctions against him.

Please post links to stories where people were saying, "Bush lied," dated before the invasion, so you can bring me closer to your dimension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska