Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:32 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,002,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
He is considered an 'originalist' and he isn't the only one sitting on the SC. They have been known to disagree which tells me there is no perfect '.....ist'. It's all still up to interpretation and who you are as a person ultimately plays a role in that interpretation. That does result in inequality in enforcing the laws of the land.

'What did the Framers mean?' 'Well I say they meant....'
'No, you're wrong, they meant.....'

Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Antonin Scaila is not so much of a Supreme Court justice as he is a stooge of the monied interests.

The ONLY reason why our US Constituition still matters at all is because it is a "Living, breathing document".

If you want slavery, voting confined to white men who own property, and women to become part of their nearest male kin's "property", then the snake oil of "Originalism" is for you.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:41 AM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

Antonin Scaila is not so much of a Supreme Court justice as he is a stooge of the monied interests.
You are SUCH a leftist Kool-Aid drinker. I won't be surprised to hear you start using the term proletariat in your posts. Some of the "progressive" drivel that you folks are spewing is so far out "there" that you make Rod Serling proud.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Lyman's not a bad guy...

Do you know Dia (David) Taug (Val's sister?). She worked for Lyman a decade ago or so.
I don't think so, I probably would recognize her though. I used to haul stove oil and propane for Lyman when he and Bob Herron owned North Star Gas. Bob and Lyman have been long time business partners, now Bob won Mary Nelson's Representative seat for our district. Should be interesting times!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:30 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
I am also a "tool" of the monied interests. I work for on power systems for the state agencies, the military, and of course, the oil and mining interests. I take as much as I can get. The company I work for has grown several times over from where it was 4 years ago. Yep, I know where my bread is buttered. And if the owners get a little richer, good for them. They made the investment, hoping to get a return on their money.

Personally, I re-read "Atlas Shrugged" every couple of years or so, to remind myself that ideas and hard work are the way to get ahead. I have made it a point at every place of employment, to attempt to make the company I work for that much better. And if I should learn something new, or advance up the ladder, that's an added benefit.

Making a dollar is not prostituting yourself to monied interests. It's putting a roof over your kids' heads and food on the table. Heroism is going to work daily and making sure the work you do is worth the money you get.

Scalia is one of 5 conservative judges on the bench of the Supreme Court. It is in our best interests to see that the conservative and liberal sides of that bench are as balanced as we can make them. Liberals are needed to point out the changes needed to the law, and conservatives are needed to put a break on the wheel when it's needed. Scalia was accepted by the representatives in Congress, on both sides of the aisle. Politics is more than a game of compromise, it is the art of getting the work of America into the world.

Democracy requires checks and balances. Obama cannot "take our guns away", as it is not only written into the Bill of Rights, but are a portion of the checks and balances. If the government becomes oppressive enough, the guns in the hands of private citizens are there in order to prevent that government from becoming a tyranny. Read the Federalist Papers.

As Americans, we are responsible for the government we get. If you don't like the way things are, you can always vote with your feet and get out. But before I'd take that option, I would try and find a way to change what is wrong. Freedom isn't free, it takes sacrifice and dedication. Many people in the US have not had the opportunity to find that out. On the average, less than 1 person in 5 has travelled outside the US, and hasn't seen how the rest of the world lives. Talk about eye-opening experiences. I work for the US in the same way I work for this company. I want to make it a better place, not for myself, but for my kids and those to follow.

Obama might not have been everyone's choice. He is NOW the president-elect. As I stated in my re-enlistment ceremony so many times, the Constitution and the Commander-in-Chief were what I based my obedience to orders. John McCain gave one of the best concession speeches I have ever been priveleged to watch. I take his speach to heart.

To coin a phrase, "My Fellow Americans", let's make our country better. Find a way to make our dialogue a true one. Let's stop finger-pointing. Done is done, and we have the next 4 years to see what difference this man makes. If any of you have crystal balls, go out and win the lottery. In other words, let's just wait and see.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:59 AM

The problem is that we are running on a system which, brilliant in design, NEVER contemplated that government would need to be heavily involved in our economy to make it work, and to prevent centralization of wealth, which has been the cause of 95% of all violent revolutions in human history.
Yet, the central idea of the Framers: dispersal of power (Checks And Balances) is one which needs to be retained to the utmost degree that it can be.

Resolving thise two competing interests is the true challenge of the modern era.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:59 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:

The ONLY reason why our US Constituition still matters at all is because it is a "Living, breathing document".

If you want slavery, voting confined to white men who own property, and women to become part of their nearest male kin's "property", then the snake oil of "Originalism" is for you.
Oh, I see. So "Scalia is a stooge of the monied interests" just because he does not believe that the Constitution is a "living document"? How about the other Supreme Court judges who believe like he does? Are they wrong, too? Don't you realize that while some believe that The Constitution is a living document others don't?

This does not make one side a "stooge" over the other side. How do you think things would be if everyone would agree on any issue brought-up to the Supreme Court? In fact, if averyone would agree, then a Supreme Court would not be needed.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Oh, I see. So "Scalia is a stooge of the monied interests" just because he does not believe that the Constitution is a "living document"? How about the other Supreme Court judges who believe like he does? Are they wrong, too?

No, his decision make him that.

His failure to see the Constituiion as a living document renders him a hopeless fool.

Only other origanilist is Thomas who is a yes man, and was appointed for that reason.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:09 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:

No, his decision make him that.

His failure to see the Constituiion as a living document renders him a hopeless fool.

Only other origanilist is Thomas who is a yes man, and was appointed for that reason.
Wrong. The Supreme Court decides on a majority. It means that not every one of the "Supremes" interprets the law exactly the same. An example of your "living document" is the way the Ninth District Court (the most liberal court in the nation) interprets the Constitution, and one of the reasons why the US Supreme Court often overrules them.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:16 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,916,538 times
Scalia is a 'originalist' yet even he acknowledges that the interpretations of the Constitution can and do differ from one 'originalist'/'interpreter' to the other.

The Framers' wrote a document that was appropriate for that time in history. It's broadness opens it up to 'interpretation'/'changing with the times' as, IMHO, the Framers meant it to be. To believe that the Framers were so narrow minded, short-sighted to believe the world as they knew it was status quo is not only incredulous but insulting to the intellect of those great men.

Ergo, IMHO, the Constitution is a living, breathing document. Great men were the Framers of the US Constitution.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Wrong. The Supreme Court decides on a majority. It means that not every one of the "Supremes" interprets the law exactly the same. An example of your "living document" is the way the Ninth District Court (the most liberal court in the nation) interprets the Constitution, and one of the reasons why the US Supreme Court often overrules them.

If you saw brother Antonin on CBS a few weeks back, you would have seen him lamenting the fact that he has not been able to convince any other Justice (other than Thomas) that originalsim is a valid school of legal thought.
Due to the last 2 appointments (proving that not only elections have consequences, but stolen elections do also) the court has tipped to the far Right.
But as any observer of said court will tell ya, it does follow election results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska