Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times

Advertisements

NT - did you get your bigger fish fried yet?? Do you have any good recipes...I could use a new one, but prefer them grilled?? I know you're really busy frying those big Alaskan fish, but was just wondering if you'd share

Old 11-07-2008, 11:27 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,701,504 times
The only thing fishy here is the rotten smell from the coast of California.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Not all that wrong and fishy. If you look somewhere earlier in this thread, I've made comments before the election, that the polls didn't make any sense in relation to the primary. Prior to and after the primary, polls predicted that both incumbents would lose by a significant margin. If you looked at the primary vote count, Stevens led Begich by about 3,000 votes and Young led Berkowitz by about 9,000 votes. If you throw in the total vote count, the Republican count had about 30,000 more voters than the Democratic/independent count. These numbers made me think that the polls were way off and didn't represent a cross-section of voting Alaskans. I know I started avoiding poll calls, especially when we were getting 2-3 each day.

As to lower voter turnout, I'd guess part of the problem is that the voter rolls are wrong. I know there are people on the rolls who have moved away. I have two sons whose names I see every time I vote. They have moved away and vote in other states. When I went by my polling place in the morning, it looked very crowded, so some people may have pulled away not voting. I've heard from others that there was an initial rush, but then traffic slowed down to normal levels. I voted early so I have no personal experience on the 4th.

I will say that the people who work at the polls have done it for years and they likely are evenly spread for political affiliation. If there was any fraud because of voter turnout, we'd likely be hearing more about it from them.

So for the most part, the vote count was what it is.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:58 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
NT...(not LT) And your point is??? I know - we can send Palin down there to help Arnooohd with the deficits and propositions that you people have....
They'd probably like to annex Alaska to solve their budget problems. Wasn't the oil royalties about the size of their new tax proposal?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:09 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
From where I'm sitting, our economy is already screwed up. What else do you see happening?

What constitutional rights do you see being taken away from American citizens?
The economy is not pleasant now but it can get much, much worse. There can be a total collapse, even a federal default on the national debt to tick China off at us. Raising taxes, as Hoover found out, made a recession a depression. What happens when you raise taxes in a depression? I shudder at the thought.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
They'd probably like to annex Alaska to solve their budget problems. Wasn't the oil royalties about the size of their new tax proposal?
We don't want them to annex Alaska, but we'll share the big fish he wants so bad. NT does such a good job keeping us informed about things we "need" to know. I just thought maybe we could send Palin there a while so he could keep an eye on her since he's so obsessed. I'd like to know where the hey is Inceland?? Heck I even send a couple of my trees along with her for him....

Old 11-07-2008, 12:27 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,701,504 times
He's only obsessed with her because she reminds him of someone who beat him up when he ws little of maybe recently. He just is against females.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:54 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The economy is not pleasant now but it can get much, much worse. There can be a total collapse, even a federal default on the national debt to tick China off at us. Raising taxes, as Hoover found out, made a recession a depression. What happens when you raise taxes in a depression? I shudder at the thought.
Things suck!! Neither political party has the answer to our economic crisis. I just couldn't stomach more of the same. I have no expectations that Obama is going to fix all our problems in four years. But I do know that the old guard hasn't done squat to date. I have hope that our newly elected officials will 'stablize' our problems with the end goal of a better economy.

I don't see that all the bitchin', moanin', pointing fingers, talk of secession, etc. is going to help but, hey, to each their own.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:59 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
What he said was that Supreme Court appointees should have the heart, the empathy to understand what it's like to be a young teenage mother, to be poor, or African-American, or gay, or disabled, or old.
What the Supreme Court's job "Is", is to apply the law to people regardless of race, color or creed. This stuff that Obama is talking is trash in that vein. As soon as you put any one race above the other, you have racism no matter how you color it. The Law is suppose to be colorblind.

The reason he got elected is so people figure we can get past that, should he start pulling that, there will be a big backlash...

How would you feel if you were one race and going to court and know full well that the Judges "Prefer" another race before the case is even heard.

I don't care if the Judge is white, black or anything in between, their job is to enforce the Constitution as it reads, not as they "Feel"....

Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Things suck!! Neither political party has the answer to our economic crisis. I just couldn't stomach more of the same. I have no expectations that Obama is going to fix all our problems in four years. But I do know that the old guard hasn't done squat to date. I have hope that our newly elected officials will 'stablize' our problems with the end goal of a better economy.

I don't see that all the bitchin', moanin', pointing fingers, talk of secession, etc. is going to help but, hey, to each their own.
You are so right I think...the secession talk is made because that was an assumed issue with some who knew nothing about Alaska, much more fact from fiction during the election campaigning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska