Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:13 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,916,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
What the Supreme Court's job "Is", is to apply the law to people regardless of race, color or creed. This stuff that Obama is talking is trash in that vein. As soon as you put any one race above the other, you have racism no matter how you color it. The Law is suppose to be colorblind.

The reason he got elected is so people figure we can get past that, should he start pulling that, there will be a big backlash...

How would you feel if you were one race and going to court and know full well that the Judges "Prefer" another race before the case is even heard.

I don't care if the Judge is white, black or anything in between, their job is to enforce the Constitution as it reads, not as they "Feel"....
Unless court cases are going to be decided by a computer, there is no way in hell that the law is ever going to be color blind! Having judges who know and understand the people who come before them will make our court system more equible.

Do you know that blacks are three times more likely to go to jail than Hispanics and five times more likely to go to jail than whites? I bet this is because judges don't 'prefer another race before the case is even heard'.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:32 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Unless court cases are going to be decided by a computer, there is no way in hell that the law is ever going to be color blind! Having judges who know and understand the people who come before them will make our court system more equible.

Do you know that blacks are three times more likely to go to jail than Hispanics and five times more likely to go to jail than whites? I bet this is because judges don't 'prefer another race before the case is even heard'.
Perhaps if blacks didn't commit a disproportionately large number of crimes in the first place, they wouldn't be disproportionately convicted and thrown into prison.

The 14th Amendment prohibits the government from denying "any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." So unless the Affirmative Action President Elect intends to deliberately violate the US Constitution, and risk impeachment, everyone must be treated equally under the law regardless of their skin color or ethnic background.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
You are so right I think...the secession talk is made because that was an assumed issue with some who knew nothing about Alaska, much more fact from fiction during the election campaigning
Yeah there are a bunch of idiots who made judgements about Alaska and the Alaskan people based on what they saw and heard about Sarah Palin. Stupid.

I spent a lot of time doing research on the Alaskan Gov because I was a fence sitter, leaning toward McCain. I'm not apologising for believing that Palin was the biggest mistake the GOP made in this Presidential campaign. And, there's no way that anyone is going to convince me that Sarah Palin is anything except what she presented herself to be which, IMHO, is someone who has no business being in the business of governing anyone but herself and her family. And don't go saying I'm jealous of her, I hate her, etc. because that too is stupid. I don't know her personally. I do know who the woman running for VP was and I didn't want her anywhere close the White House. My opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Having said that on the Alaskan Politics forum does not make me an evil, ignorant -48'er who should stay the heck out of Alaska. I just have a different opinion than a lot of you. AND, I'm going to be in Angoon the end of the month for 3 to 6 months!! Kinda sounds like a jail sentence. LOL, but I am sooooo excited to be going there.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah there are a bunch of idiots who made judgements about Alaska and the Alaskan people based on what they saw and heard about Sarah Palin. Stupid.

I spent a lot of time doing research on the Alaskan Gov because I was a fence sitter, leaning toward McCain. I'm not apologising for believing that Palin was the biggest mistake the GOP made in this Presidential campaign. And, there's no way that anyone is going to convince me that Sarah Palin is anything except what she presented herself to be which, IMHO, is someone who has no business being in the business of governing anyone but herself and her family. And don't go saying I'm jealous of her, I hate her, etc. because that too is stupid. I don't know her personally. I do know who the woman running for VP was and I didn't want her anywhere close the White House. My opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Having said that on the Alaskan Politics forum does not make me an evil, ignorant -48'er who should stay the heck out of Alaska. I just have a different opinion than a lot of you. AND, I'm going to be in Angoon the end of the month for 3 to 6 months!! Kinda sounds like a jail sentence. LOL, but I am sooooo excited to be going there.
You may, or may not be evil. I have no way of knowing either way. However, you truly are an ignorant lower-48er, but don't feel special. Anyone in the lower-48 who has never been to Alaska is an ignorant lower-48er with regard to Alaska. Thus making your opinion of Alaska, or its residents, completely immaterial and irrelevant. You can do all the research you like, but it is no substitute for actually living in Alaska.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Perhaps if blacks didn't commit a disproportionately large number of crimes in the first place, they wouldn't be disproportionately convicted and thrown into prison.

The 14th Amendment prohibits the government from denying "any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." So unless the Affirmative Action President Elect intends to deliberately violate the US Constitution, and risk impeachment, everyone must be treated equally under the law regardless of their skin color or ethnic background.
For the exact same offense, blacks are 6.5 times more likely to be jailed than their white counterparts. Five times more whites than blacks use drugs but more blacks than whites end up in jail for the same crimes.

The 14th Amendment is consistently denied to criminals because of the color of their skin. I'm not going to change your mind on this issue, your first statement proves that. And I'm not going to succomb to wrong information either.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
However, you truly are an ignorant lower-48er, but don't feel special.
You are a sad, intolerant bigot but it takes all kinds to make the world go round. So back to your cave, little man and have at it.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:53 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
Quote:
AND, I'm going to be in Angoon the end of the month for 3 to 6 months!! Kinda sounds like a jail sentence. LOL, but I am sooooo excited to be going there.
Depending on what you're used to, it can seem like a jail sentence. But that could be said for many isolated communities here. I've known people who lived in Juneau, which is going to be your closest "big city," who thought it was a jail sentence while they lived here.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Depending on what you're used to, it can seem like a jail sentence. But that could be said for many isolated communities here. I've known people who lived in Juneau, which is going to be your closest "big city," who thought it was a jail sentence while they lived here.
Not a bad idea. Turn Juneau into a prison and we won't have to ship the convicted politicians to Arizona.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I think I'm ready for it. I lived in a tiny village on the Navajo rez for almost a year but I was able to drive for a few hours and get to 'civilization'. I've done a fair bit of research on Angoon but I know that I'll never be 100% prepared for life on an island in Alaska. My homebase is North Dakota so I don't think the weather is gonna be too much of a shock. It was raining/snowing here yesterday with winds of 30+ and all I could think was, 'It's gonna be windier and wetter in Angoon.'

Old 11-07-2008, 02:04 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
Quote:
Not a bad idea. Turn Juneau into a prison and we won't have to ship the convicted politicians to Arizona.
Who you trying to punish? The people who live here or the politicians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska