Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 PM

124 posts, read 276,773 times

Advertisements

I'm 52, my husband is 64. I've spent nearly 30 yrs following him from one end of the country to the other as his career transfered us over and over (multiple corporate mergers -we'd get the phone call saying the old Good news/bad news deal. Good news: Still have a job. Bad news - it's not where you live." We've averaged 5 yrs to a town/state. I'm hungry to find a place to put down roots.

Now that Mr. Handsome is fixing to retire it's finally MY turn to pick where we will land. Because I'll be working another 15 yrs it has to be somewhere I can get a job.

If we make it up that way I'll probably be green with envy as he gets to go fishing whenever he wants and explore all around while I'm playing busy worker bee, but I'm ok with it being my turn to be primary wage earner and keep the health insurance active.

I had my kids early so they are now both in their 30's and I've got 8 grandkids (all in Michigan...love 'em to pieces but we are NOT moving there). So the whole wide world is out there singing and I'm just trying to find a spot to land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
oh ya....I'm here for the week

Then either to the Iditarod or the Daytona 500
And you were prowling down my road because?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:13 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,810,802 times
well......I simply thought with all your pull you might have directed DOT to git off their butts and fix the road

Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
well......I simply thought with all your pull you might have directed DOT to git off their butts and fix the road
There's a reason they leave it the way it is for us...as explained numerous times before.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM

mal.... go for it if you can, do your research here at CD

if ya only relocate just as far as SE you'll be able to avoid a lotta the negative winter-related stuff you read here

Old 02-01-2010, 07:19 PM

tell 'em your thinking about opening a new eating place there on that wagon-trail you guys have but you're getting nothing but negative feedback due to the road

thats by far the worst road on the entire island....and its only a mile long

Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Pat, we came up vacationing, hubby got the job there after selling, this toy, that one and another, and moved. He went to the slope, lost the job, got another, got laid off and before we went belly up, he found the one down here...we still have the house up there and the boat and most of what we own...

A lot of others have done this recently, or are doing it with the move up. Malaga's story is pretty much what I've seen, AKvarmit did it with grown kids, Lyoness wants to, Juneaubound just did the same...As Met said, she knows women that have just launched and done the move after a divorce, kids grown,...NW CountryGal did a trip this past summer, GrammasCabin came and is still there hauling water and firewood, BlueFlames is on her way, GoObrien is here and has been...I am sorry if I missed anyone or for using names, but everyone has posted here, and I don't know everyone's ages for sure, but I find it rather interesting...Alot of the guys here are in the same age group and I think most have been here for a while...

Oh and Crunch is stuck in a rut, good thing the bears are sleepin'

Old 02-01-2010, 07:39 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,316 times
Yeah, Granny I was thinkin', I wonder how much of it is just common to "our" age group........and maybe there's a just a subset then that take it the whole way to Alaska.

I've met a lot of people that move frequently, that itself seems to be their lifestyle. Alaska I think is just one of many places they land looking for.....well......whatever it is they're looking for. We've been here over a year and I've already said goodbye to a few like that.

We never moved before we came up here, spent all our lives in the same little town. I think we had to raise our kids and advance in our skills to reach a point where we could afford to make such a change.

Our families definitely thought we were having a mid-life crisis, and were just waiting for us to come to our senses. But the more we packed and sold, the more they realized we were serious. Then they started asking if they could have our stuff as they dabbed their eyes .

Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Pat, we came up vacationing, hubby got the job there after selling, this toy, that one and another, and moved. He went to the slope, lost the job, got another, got laid off and before we went belly up, he found the one down here...we still have the house up there and the boat and most of what we own...

A lot of others have done this recently, or are doing it with the move up. Malaga's story is pretty much what I've seen, AKvarmit did it with grown kids, Lyoness wants to, Juneaubound just did the same...As Met said, she knows women that have just launched and done the move after a divorce, kids grown,...NW CountryGal did a trip this past summer, GrammasCabin came and is still there hauling water and firewood, BlueFlames is on her way, GoObrien is here and has been...I am sorry if I missed anyone or for using names, but everyone has posted here, and I don't know everyone's ages for sure, but I find it rather interesting...Alot of the guys here are in the same age group and I think most have been here for a while...

Oh and Crunch is stuck in a rut, good thing the bears are sleepin'

Same with us Deb, came up here on vacation; loved it. Most of my family thought that I had lost my mind completely, same for husband's family. I had always lived in Ohio and husband in N.Y. We had met a couple years prior to moving here when he came to the hospital where I worked on a major construction job. We had a long-distance thing going for quite a while. We came up here on vacation, got married at Sadie Cove and here we are.

My mom and older sister have both since passed on. My mom, from old age and illness and my sister from a chronic illness. They always thought we were nuts for living here but I do think they did adjust some.

My son in Ohio says it's great if that's what we want but I know he'd rather have us closer.

I think it's great for any single/divorced woman who wants to start over in a new place, same for men and families. We women have come a long way in that we can strike out on our own and seek new adventures as witnessed by many coming to Alaska on their own.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
I'm 52, my husband is 64. I've spent nearly 30 yrs following him from one end of the country to the other as his career transfered us over and over (multiple corporate mergers -we'd get the phone call saying the old Good news/bad news deal. Good news: Still have a job. Bad news - it's not where you live." We've averaged 5 yrs to a town/state. I'm hungry to find a place to put down roots.

Now that Mr. Handsome is fixing to retire it's finally MY turn to pick where we will land. Because I'll be working another 15 yrs it has to be somewhere I can get a job.

If we make it up that way I'll probably be green with envy as he gets to go fishing whenever he wants and explore all around while I'm playing busy worker bee, but I'm ok with it being my turn to be primary wage earner and keep the health insurance active.

I had my kids early so they are now both in their 30's and I've got 8 grandkids (all in Michigan...love 'em to pieces but we are NOT moving there). So the whole wide world is out there singing and I'm just trying to find a spot to land.

Yes I would say it is definitely your turn to pick. Even though you may be green with envy while he goes fishing, etc., I think you'll be so excited that you won't even notice at first. Besides there are weekends and holidays and don't forget, summer, with allll the daylight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska