Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times

Advertisements

Well, I have to admit turning 40 made me realize that it was time to stop trying to figure out how I could move back to Alaska, and to just do it in any way possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 PM

124 posts, read 276,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Yes I would say it is definitely your turn to pick. Even though you may be green with envy while he goes fishing, etc., I think you'll be so excited that you won't even notice at first. Besides there are weekends and holidays and don't forget, summer, with allll the daylight.
Yeah, I am excited. Nervous that I may not get the job I interviewed for, but I'm at the point that I'm feeling more and more confident that EVENTUALLY I'll get my way up there. If that particular job is not a match I'll just keep looking until I land something else. Because we've moved so many times I've done a lot of different things - I can be a big cheese or be support to big cheese, makes no difference to me. I've got some good skills and a Master's degree so I should be able to land on my feet...I'm limiting my options somewhat because I am determined to come to the Mat-Su Valley and nowhere else. (Had an opportunity to interview for a job in Valdez but turned that one down.) I do not want to commute so there has to be a job in Wasilla/Palmer/Houston or general area. But I keep throwing my resume out there, sooner or later I'll find my niche.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
Yeah, I am excited. Nervous that I may not get the job I interviewed for, but I'm at the point that I'm feeling more and more confident that EVENTUALLY I'll get my way up there. If that particular job is not a match I'll just keep looking until I land something else. Because we've moved so many times I've done a lot of different things - I can be a big cheese or be support to big cheese, makes no difference to me. I've got some good skills and a Master's degree so I should be able to land on my feet...I'm limiting my options somewhat because I am determined to come to the Mat-Su Valley and nowhere else. (Had an opportunity to interview for a job in Valdez but turned that one down.) I do not want to commute so there has to be a job in Wasilla/Palmer/Houston or general area. But I keep throwing my resume out there, sooner or later I'll find my niche.
I'd say your odds must be pretty good, didn't you just interview a few days ago? Seems like when you ask for someone from Oregon to come up, it's pretty serious.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 PM

Well, I'm cautiously optimistic. I KNOW I could do the job. Now we'll just see if they think I'm the right fit and if we can agree on the numbers.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Default Turning 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Well, I have to admit turning 40 made me realize that it was time to stop trying to figure out how I could move back to Alaska, and to just do it in any way possible.
I know what you mean. My 40's were a great time for me. Twenties were angst. Thirties were chaos of raising kids/ grad school / moving-moving-moving. But in my 40's I hit my prime. No longer so concerned with proving anything to anybody, finally got comfortable in my own skin. My kids were emancipated so I was able to spread my wings a bit. Did some fun travel and developed my work life in new ways. Now I'm in my next decade and still trying to discover how that will be defined. Hopefully I'll get to explore this half century season where I want to - in the land of moose and bears.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:04 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubwill View Post
Happy Birthday!
Thanks! Holy Moly. 50.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:08 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times
Happy Birthday Juneau bound!!!

OK yep I am 41. HMM my decision came about with many things said already. I will say I do know I don't want to do the winters in Alaska so I won't be a local any decade. I don't want to haul firewood anymore or dig my truck out of driveway! However summers it is looking like it.

Reason for Alaska? Finally decided I don't need that nice big house, car payments, gerbil wheel anymore. Do I really need that nice looking trinket that will collect dust that I won't getting around to dusting anymore?

Done with the family obilgations to fullfill - no kids but live life as I was taught I was supposed to. Never really traveled other than on my horse. Clock ticking and have past up enough of my life to live in the rat race. Never did like big towns and always enjoyed Mountains, river and lakes more than people or city. Always loved fishing and hunting outdoors.

Always wanted to go to Alaska and when I made connections to have a network in Alaska from Hawaii it was a no brainer - free rent is great!! Connections for work!!

I will keep Hawaii for the winters hopefully with my work in Alaska for the summer. As far as Hawaii year round never could do it-, no rivers, lakes, freash water fishing, rafting, etc. With brief stops in WA. I yearned to travel my entire life but never allowed myself too. Now screw it I can and I will.

This summer will be the test to see if it will become annual!!

Good luck everyone else and good stories!! Still can't rep most of you yet!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:48 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
oh ya....I'm here for the week

Then either to the Iditarod or the Daytona 500
Sounds like she has a GPS tag on your cell phone and knows where you are 24/7...

Old 02-02-2010, 07:02 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Gosh lots of pages here!!! you guys were busy posting yesterday!!!! Happy late Birthday Juneau Bound you youngster!! well now we are getting closer to getting set in AK!! setting up appointments with the contractor by email to clear the land....emailed the house floor plans/spec drawing for the estimate...waaahooo!! got me plane tickets for this summer to get this underway!!! Great thread by the way....tick tock tick tock life is way to short not to enjoy and do what you want in life no matter what age you are! life can be gone in a blink of the eye!!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 AM

2,048 posts, read 3,810,802 times
Quote:
Sounds like she has a GPS tag on your cell phone and knows where you are 24/7...
Well....I solved that problem last fall, the ole cell phone went for a swim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska