Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:40 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times

Advertisements

I almost put 50s which we have a lot of here, but I know quite a bit of 40s too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM

693 posts, read 1,607,036 times
Sometimes it's just better to not be included. haha

Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Not so hard to figure out...kids all raised, paid our dues (in triplicate), clock is ticking, time to live our dreams while we still can, it's our turn, maybe for the first time in our lives......just that dadgum job thing that always seems to throw a wrench in the works
Everytime my clock has ticked and I had to deal with it for whatever reason, I could be a rich woman, at least rich enough to get a new clock

Old 02-01-2010, 09:03 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,944,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
ok.....these are for Nancy, you don't wanna miss out on any of this

This is the community where Met & I spend spring-summer-fall...

This is typical SE Alaska....out front of my home when I was in Haines for several years

Craig Alaska...

Juneau...
Maybe by spring I'll see some "help wanted" signs in those pics and will be tired of eating xanax like m&ms just to find a reason to get out of bed in the mornings.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:07 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,810,802 times
how are ya at filling in pot-holes.....

maybe we can git ya a job at DOT in Craig

Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
I'm not in the 40+ age group (just 30), but I understand the transitional phase thing, which can come about for many reasons. Whether it's a divorce or having your kids grown, or in my case getting through with school and deciding that I want to move to a place that I choose instead of compromising or following a man around like I have before, there's a strong sense of freedom in realizing that you're suddenly unencumbered by other people's demands. And for people who are inclined to take advantage of that sort of freedom, Alaska makes a lot of sense. It's just the place for free people.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
I tried moving out years ago. All I did was ache to come back. So I did after spending one winter gone in a warmer climate. It's too dang hot everywhere else but here in the summer.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 PM

261 posts, read 780,774 times
I've spent my whole life moving. I joined the Navy right from school and moved with them a few times. Then married to a sailor we bounced around every 18 months or so. Then 8 years ago I moved to Michigan a place I still love. We were given the opportunity to move to Alaska and took it we've had our ups and downs but nothing we couldnt cope with.
Ed on the other hand had only moved once when he was a child so the move was a big thing for him. After spending so many years in Michigan he was ready for a change ... and change he got !
Who knows if another move is in our stars ? I'm certainly not going to sit in my old age wondering 'what if' ... life is an adventure given the opportunity you just have to run with it.

Jan

Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
I've been in Juneau for three weeks now, and have the same things in common as many others in this thread who have already responded - divorce a couple of years ago, grown boys, in the same small town job for many years and ready for a change, just turning 50 (today as a matter of fact), etc. etc.

Juneau is the most beautiful place I have ever lived in. My significant other is still down in TN and the house down there has not sold yet. We are quickly burning through money paying bills in 2 different states. The next step (by the end of this month I guess) is to rent the house out down there.

However, the other part of the puzzle is that I am still not certain of the job yet, and do not want to move my family all the way up here until I AM certain. But at the same time I am also questioning how long realistically I can hold off on moving my SO and dog up here, before paying for two households becomes simply financially unsustainable.

I do love it here. But the road has been bumpy to this point and I am a little shaken by the whole proposition. The jury is still out on the wisdom of the choice I made to give up my TN job and come up here. We'll see. And I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 PM

31 posts, read 55,778 times
Happy Birthday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska