Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 AM

12 posts, read 20,210 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the welcome! I was born in Manhattan and lived in Yonkers for about 7 years. My parents moved my sister and I to Arizona. I've been gone to the state for 35 years +. I got into town yesterday. Frankly, I'm totally lost. It will take a while to get my bearings. It's a culture shock as well. Most of the people I have interacted have been friendly.

Would you suggest snow tires or chains? If snow tires, do people keep an extra set of wheels or just have a shop mount a balance the tires when the seasons change?

It will be my first time driving snow. Its going to be an andventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoNY23 View Post
Would you suggest snow tires or chains? If snow tires, do people keep an extra set of wheels or just have a shop mount a balance the tires when the seasons change?
It really depends on where you live and how much driving you will be doing in inclement weather. I lived and worked close enough to main roads and had front wheel drive cars so I usually only bought good all-weather tires and used them year-round.

If you live or work off the beaten path you may want to invest in snow tires. Some people buy an extra set of wheels and others just have them changed with the seasons. Chains are probably a bit of overkill for unless you live or work in a very hilly area.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Eventhough that post goes totally off topic, the problem is that many other state governments do similar things, but in different ways. Governments are going to get their money somehow.

Also, if you do not like winters in the Capital Region, which gets much less snow than other parts of Upstate NY, then think about how hot and humid summers are in NC. So, it may be one season up here, but another down there.
You're right CKTHANKGOD. Every state has their own taxes, double dipping state workers, crooked politicians, etc. No state is without it's problems. Wherever you find your happiness, that's the best place for you. Just because one person's opinion is negative, doesn't mean others feel the same way. You have to decide for yourself...not listen to others, especially when it comes to politics and religion.

Give me the snow and cold over hot and humid south anyday! We may have to run the heat 6 months a year, but down south they have to run a/c.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:22 PM

334 posts, read 852,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
It really depends on where you live and how much driving you will be doing in inclement weather. I lived and worked close enough to main roads and had front wheel drive cars so I usually only bought good all-weather tires and used them year-round.

If you live or work off the beaten path you may want to invest in snow tires. Some people buy an extra set of wheels and others just have them changed with the seasons. Chains are probably a bit of overkill for unless you live or work in a very hilly area.
Expustateny pretty much answered the question the way I would have. I've live in Albany and have also lived in Guilderland (suburb immediately to the west of Albany) and have never used snow tires. I've heard of more people using snow tires in the last few years than in the past, but I'm not sure why - have the tires become cheaper? Better performance? If you live in any of the cities or larger suburbs than it's a probably a personal choice. If you feel uneasy, I would use the snow tires. It is very cheap to have a shop switch them out. I know my neighbor even has Wal-Mart do it!

You will find that major streets are cleared pretty quickly when it snows, so driving after a snowfall isn't bad. Driving during snow is a little different, and you will want to be cautious until you get used to it. Your co-workers might tease you, but they will understand. Also, "wintry mix" (ice mixed with snow/rain) is misleading. It doesn't look bad because it doesn't accumulate, but it is actually more dangerous than snow when driving. AAA might be a good place to check for driving tips.

I don't know where you are coming from in Arizona, but you may find the weather to be not as bad as people have told you. I have a friend who grew up in Malaysia and never quite got used to northeastern winters until she lived in Bullhead City, AZ for a couple of years. She told me that Arizona was just like NY - she didn't go outside for an entire season, it was just the summer, not the winter. And at least in NY her kids COULD go out to play in winter; in AZ it was too dangerous for them to play outside much in the summer heat.

Welcome!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Have a FWD vehicle and have never had a problem up here in Saratoga, no snow tires or chains. Roads are cleared quickly, even in rural areas.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm living in Clifton Park and working at GF in Malta. It is hilly by the plant, so I will probably invest in the snow tires and keep one set of wheels.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 AM

263 posts, read 626,238 times
You worry too much, people up here are nice, kinda slow, great place for employers, they can keep the pay rates down, not much complaining, roads are fine , even in Winter, beautifull scenerie, great shopping, very average restaurants (family style is the norm...) living here for 8 Years in Saratoga, great place, time to move on .

Old 07-29-2012, 01:18 PM

150 posts, read 300,687 times
I agree with Roland 544.. nice pace of life in Saratoga Springs.. roads cleared fast in winter etc.. easy to get around and get things done..if you want "excitement" about 4 hours from Boston and NYC...not to worry!

Old 07-29-2012, 09:04 PM

267 posts, read 971,668 times
Try Nokian tires, our car would fishtail in the snow until we put that brand of all season's on. Amazing the difference. It's a lot easier than having to switch to snow tires.
Nokian Tyres North America

Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Massage Therapy

Hello all, change of subject. Can anyone recommend a massage therapist in the Clifton Park area? If there is a massage therapy school in which they allow their students to give massages would be best. Their rates are less. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area