Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 02:46 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times

Advertisements

After narrowing down the cities I plan to move to in 2011-12, Albany is my first choice. I lived in Troy, NY for two years, but I was only 11-12 years old, so i'm not too familiar with the area.

I love the location of Albany, the history throughout the city, and the affordability of it. I plan on finishing a year at Essex County College (in Newark NJ) to then transfer with all my credits to Hudson Valley Community to soon go into SUNY at Albany (this is if I grow fond of the city)

Here's a couple questions to further validate my decision--

What are the neighborhoods I should steer clear from? (I'm aware that the crime in Albany is high, but I'm also aware that a lot of the crime is concentrated in sections of the city)

Is $750/mo for a 1-2 bedroom in a decent area a good maximum budget? I will have a roommate (my girl friend)

How does the majority of the city feel about interracial relationships? (White male/Black female)-- I havn't had a good experience in some sections of Newark.

HOW'S THE FOOD?! I like to cook, and I like to eat. I'm Italian so food is my passion. I want to know if there's a wide range of options in foods, meaning is there a lot of ethnic cuisines in town? Good Italian, Oriental, and Jamaican food options is a big plus.

As long as there's movie theaters/malls/bars and culture the city is fine. I don't get too worked up about about a place not offering infinite amounts of things to do since that usually means the place is damn expensive. But a few interesting things Albany has to offer would be nice to hear.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to get as much information as possible so my move won't be a regret later on. I havn't been there in 5 years, and I plan on visiting next month.

Thanks in advance.
PS. My other options are Baltimore Community (living in Essex, MD), Gateway Community in New Haven, CT, and Hudson County Community in Jersey City.

Last edited by BPerone201; 04-18-2010 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 03:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=20557111

I did a search on the overall NEW YORK Forum for Albany and I think if you read through the threads and posts you might get some answers.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:52 PM

93,376 posts, read 124,009,048 times
You might like the Lark St./Center Square area of the city. If you can find something in Pine Hills, Helderberg, Washington Park or by the SUNY campus, you might like those areas as well. You would probably want to stay away from Arbor Hill, West Hill and parts of the South End.

This might help you in regards to the other information:
Albany Restaurant Guide - Albany, NY Restaurant Menus
Albany Apartments for Rent | Albany Apartment Finder
MapsKrieg - Albany, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent
Albany Restaurants - Times Union - Albany NY
Center Square Association : HomePage
Lark Street BID :: Welcome
Neighborhoods - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY
Albany Neighborhoods
Neighborhoods of Albany, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to Albany, NY!
Albany Central

Old 04-18-2010, 03:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You might like the Lark St./Center Square area of the city. If you can find something in Pine Hills, Helderberg, Washington Park or by the SUNY campus, you might like those areas as well. You would probably want to stay away from Arbor Hill, West Hill and parts of the South End.

This might help you in regards to the other information:
Albany Restaurant Guide - Albany, NY Restaurant Menus
Albany Apartments for Rent | Albany Apartment Finder
MapsKrieg - Albany, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent
Albany Restaurants - Times Union - Albany NY
Center Square Association : HomePage
Lark Street BID :: Welcome
Neighborhoods - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY
Albany Neighborhoods
Neighborhoods of Albany, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to Albany, NY!
Albany Central
I was waiting for your reply
Thanks for the information. I was looking into the area by Washington Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area