Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 04:57 PM

560 posts, read 751,536 times

Advertisements

Lagavulin 16 my absoloute fav right now. I have a fairly stocked Case os scotch:

Ardbeg Corryvrecken
Ardbeg:Ardbog Day
The Maltman Tobermory
Oban (14yr)
Ledaig (10yr)
Lagavulin 16
Glenlevit 12
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Amrut Fusion (Indian)
Laphroig Quarter Cask
Yamazaki (12y)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 06:31 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Just in time for St. Paddy's day, the day everyone and their mother is Irish, is a new Irish whiskey that is just being released in the US market, Green Spot from Midleton distilery.

Two Deluxe Irish Whiskies Arrive In US - Forbes

It is a single pot still Irish whiskey, which means, I believe, that it is a mixture of malted and unmalted barley distilled in a pot still. It's somewhat similar to single malt whiskies. Redbreast, also from Midleton, is currently the only Irish pot still whiskey availble in the US. So, this will be a nice addition here. I've heard some real good reviews about it. So, if you are looking for something besides Jameson to enjoy this St. Paddy's day you've got a great alternative.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:30 PM

Anyone know any good Canadian whiskies available here in the states? I've heard good things about some but can never find them here. Maybe the mounties hoard the good stuff at the border and they send their crappier stocks down here. Anyways, I know they are suppose to have some good stuff but I haven't had one that I could find here that blew me away yet.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:54 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Anyone know any good Canadian whiskies available here in the states? I've heard good things about some but can never find them here. Maybe the mounties hoard the good stuff at the border and they send their crappier stocks down here. Anyways, I know they are suppose to have some good stuff but I haven't had one that I could find here that blew me away yet.
I really just stick with the Crowns and their upgraded ones as well.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:37 AM

8 posts, read 15,604 times
I hate when people are so stuffy about whiskey, bourbon and what's the correct booze to drink and how you should drink it. Everybody has different tastes....drink what and how you like it.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2778 View Post
I hate when people are so stuffy about whiskey, bourbon and what's the correct booze to drink and how you should drink it. Everybody has different tastes....drink what and how you like it.
Everyone should drink what they like. Who cares what others think. As the saying goes, those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind. This thread exists to inform and give opinions, as most threads here do. Do with the information what you want or nothing at all. I haven't heard anyone say here that everyone must drink a certain way or a certain drink. Why would anyone care what I or you drink? But that doesn't mean people shouldn't share their experiences of their whiskey journey. Afterall, sometimes new information may lead a person to discover something interesting that they would have otherwise missed out on.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:12 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post

Not easy to find, but grab a bottle of Tangle Ridge when you see it. You'll be pleased.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:20 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
I understand a good Scotch whiskey for beginners that complain of both the "burn" and "peatiness" of most Highland Scotches is the Lowland Scotch called Auchentoshan Three Wood. They say is has a character of toffee and rich candied fruit and it's exceptionally smooth. I don't know, I haven't tried it yet (it's expensive, over $50 a bottle). They say it also is very complex in flavor and experts give it high marks. Any opinions?

Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I understand a good Scotch whiskey for beginners that complain of both the "burn" and "peatiness" of most Highland Scotches is the Lowland Scotch called Auchentoshan Three Wood. They say is has a character of toffee and rich candied fruit and it's exceptionally smooth. I don't know, I haven't tried it yet (it's expensive, over $50 a bottle). They say it also is very complex in flavor and experts give it high marks. Any opinions?
I had it once at a whiskey bar I frequent. It wasn't really my cup of tea or scotch. It had a lot of thick, syrupy, fruity, sweet, flavors going on. It's quite a sherry monster but it covered up the true nature of the malt, imho. That being said, the bar tender recommended it to me as one of her favorites. I think if you like sweet cocktails and are not big on more medicinal or spicy flavors then it might be to your liking. Personally, if I want a good sherried scotch, I'll grab a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh. That's some amazing stuff and cask strength to boot.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
Since I can't get Walkers Deluxe Bourbon anymore I found a acceptable choice in Devils Cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages