Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'll give the Green Spot a try. This week I picked up some Weller Antique 107, and a locally (in my state) distilled whiskey (can't be called bourbon) by New Holland Brewing Company.

I've had the EC 12 before, and if I'm not mistaken it's a rye instead of a wheater. I normally don't like rye's but it was good, not great to me but good. It's been about a year so ... if I remember it almost comes across more towards the scotch spectrem.. really oaky flavored. Last I looked it is pretty available around here... I'll trade you some EC-12 for some WL Weller 12 , which I can't get in MI.
Thanks but I'm specifically talking about the Elijah Craig 12 year old Barrel Proof, not the regular EC12. That stuff is abundantly available but the barrel proof is like finding gold...tastes like gold too. The regular EC12 is around 47% abv while the EC barrel proof is around 64% abv and non chill filtered. Amazing stuff but so hard to find since it is a limited release. Plus, it's a great deal at around 40 bucks or so. So, if you see that anywhere feel free to let me know. You'll just have to ask around though because most likely it won't be on the shelves.

http://whiskeylately.com/bourbon/eli...-barrel-proof/

The Weller 12 is a really good wheated bourbon too (at least I think it's wheated with no rye). I have an empty bottle autographed by the master distiller Harlen Wheatley...maybe that's why it's such a good wheated bourbon. Larceny is also quite good, especially at around 20 bucks a bottle.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 06-23-2014 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 12:50 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Thanks but I'm specifically talking about the Elijah Craig 12 year old Barrel Proof, not the regular EC12. That stuff is abundantly available but the barrel proof is like finding gold...tastes like gold too. The regular EC12 is around 47% abv while the EC barrel proof is around 64% abv and non chill filtered. Amazing stuff but so hard to find since it is a limited release. Plus, it's a great deal at around 40 bucks or so. So, if you see that anywhere feel free to let me know. You'll just have to ask around though because most likely it won't be on the shelves.

Elijah Craig 12 Barrel Proof - Review #18 | Whiskey Lately

The Weller 12 is a really good wheated bourbon too (at least I think it's wheated with no rye). I have an empty bottle autographed by the master distiller Harlen Wheatley...maybe that's why it's such a good wheated bourbon. Larceny is also quite good, especially at around 20 bucks a bottle.
I didn't catch the "barrel proof" ... if I find it I will definitely give it a try. I've seen some buzz about that on an FB bourbon page...wondered what the big deal was about it but again didn't realize they were talking about the Barrel proof version.

yeah the Weller 12 seems to be a great bargain , I've seen it as low as $24 a bottle although just not in MI.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:56 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Just picked up a bottle of 1973 Glenrothes at a charity auction. At 40 years old (bottled in 2000), it obviously wasn't cheap, but I'm looking forward to breaking it open.

Just have to find the right occasion...
Celebrate you waking up in the morning

Never a bad time to have some good whiskey

Old 07-21-2014, 04:12 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Just picked up a bottle of 1973 Glenrothes at a charity auction. At 40 years old (bottled in 2000), it obviously wasn't cheap, but I'm looking forward to breaking it open.

Just have to find the right occasion...
Share your thoughts on it when you crack it open. I'd be curious to know. I think the oldest whiskey I ever had was probably Sheep Dip 1990. It was a vatting of three scotch single malts between 19 and 24 years old. But the real kicker is they stuck them in a barrel for 15 more years to marry them together. So, basically it came out to 34-39 year old whisky. Amazing, amazing stuff too. And under a 100 bucks to boot. If you ever see that bottle (unlikely since it was discontinued) grab it.

http://youtu.be/yhG3Tla2QLA

By the way, this guy Ralfy that does these whiskey review vlogs on youtube is a really hoot. A bit unorthidox but in a knoweable and humorous way. Definitely worth a watch. I think he has about 500 reviews now.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Canadian Hunter is easily my favorite whisky. So smooth and flavorful, and not expensive at all. At my local liquor store, a fifth goes for $9.45 + tax. I don't need a chaser, I don't need to mix it. Drink it on the rocks and it is so fantastic. I do enjoy Black Velvet as well, and you can never go wrong with thr 100 proof Southern Comfort.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Had my socks knocked off earlier today with a rye whiskey a friend brought back from a recent trip to Montana.

Roughstock Montana Straight Rye Whiskey.

I'm not a huge fan of Canadian ryes, but this was really tasty. When I first smelled it, I thought it was an Añejo tequila or rum, not a whiskey. Very smooth.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
I need a shot or 3 right about now.
God I wish I had some......

Old 08-10-2014, 04:29 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Thanks! I'll have to try Aberlour A'Bunadh.
dunno that has a bite to it. now the 18 is liquid gold

Old 09-02-2014, 02:38 PM

489 posts, read 1,192,935 times
Recently visited The glenlivet distillery , the 15 year old is a nice dram but my favourite is a knockando 12 year old pronounced "ni-can-doh"
IMG_8234 by fern.allan, on Flickr IMG_8229-crop by fern.allan, on Flickr
Here’s tae us, wha’s like us? Damn few, and’ they're a deid!

Old 09-06-2014, 07:49 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin loon View Post
Recently visited The glenlivet distillery , the 15 year old is a nice dram but my favourite is a knockando 12 year old pronounced "ni-can-doh"

I love Knockando. Only had it twice, but a great scotch. Was introduced to it by a South African fellow who slyly pronounced it "No-can-do".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages