Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:30 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times

Advertisements

I really like Little Penguin wines. $5.99 for 750 ml or $9.99 for 1.5 L. Their Shiraz is especially good & I believe Shiraz is the type of wine Australia is known for. I also like Barefoot - Merlot.

I've tried 3 buck chuck at Trader Joes & I had trouble getting it down.

http://blog.thebarproject.com/articl...penguin-shiraz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:22 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
I usually buy a bit above "cheap", in the $10-$15 range. But I've tried a lot of cheap wine. I've had decent bottles of $2BC and enough really lousy bottles to make me shy away. I used to not mind Black Box, but it's inched up in price the past couple of years so I don't consider it much of a value these days. I personally find Barefoot undrinkable.

When I'm outside of PA, I'll sometimes stock up on cheaper wines from less-popular regions (e.g. Bulgaria, Georgia [the country], Argentina and So. Africa) as these are generally not readily available in PA stores. I find the wine that makes it over here from those regions is often decent, not great, but usually better than similarly-priced wines from the US, France, Chile or Australia.

However, there are some wines (e.g. Cabs, Pinots) that I would most always pay more for from a US/French/Aussie vinter as I find the quality of those wines from other countries is not very good.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'll be the sole semi-naysayer on Charles Shaw. It isn't bad for the price point, and the cost is admittedly low. But tastewise, there are def, marginally more costly wines that taste much better.
which ones? im looking for a 6-8 dollar bottle, as my consumption has gone up, i use to never drink but now drink 2-3 bottles per week.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I really like Little Penguin wines. $5.99 for 750 ml or $9.99 for 1.5 L. Their Shiraz is especially good & I believe Shiraz is the type of wine Australia is known for. I also like Barefoot - Merlot.

I've tried 3 buck chuck at Trader Joes & I had trouble getting it down.

Review: The Little Penguin Shiraz | The Bar Project Project
im not a huge wine head, but i can tell cheap wines (specially yellow tail) is not kept in wood barrels, they just add wood chips, the wine isnt aged, seeing a wine like penguin wine it is probably similar?

Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
which ones? im looking for a 6-8 dollar bottle, as my consumption has gone up, i use to never drink but now drink 2-3 bottles per week.
Depends on what you want.

I'm a fan of sauvignon blanc, and picked up a bottle of Monkey Bay, a Marlborough, New Zealand SB, for about $7. I didn't have high hopes, but it was actually a really nice balance. Crisp and lightly citrus-y, neither too sour nor too sweet, not too astringent. It went really well with our roast chicken dinner, and I'd definitely get it again.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

I'm a fan of sauvignon blanc, and picked up a bottle of Monkey Bay, a Marlborough, New Zealand SB, for about $7. I didn't have high hopes, but it was actually a really nice balance. Crisp and lightly citrus-y, neither too sour nor too sweet, not too astringent. It went really well with our roast chicken dinner, and I'd definitely get it again.

Honestly, unless it's a really special occasion, I'm hard pressed to pay more than $20 for a bottle of wine. My most solid favorites all fall in the $10-$16 price range. I've had my share of fine wines, and they have their place, but for pedestrian, wine-with-the-average-workday-dinner type wine drinking, that's really not necessary.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

i like reds, not whites (i drink for the health benefits as well as the buzz). ill keep an eye out for their merlot. thanks

where do you like to shop for wine?

trader joes? whole foods? local grocery? or local wine store, which has better prices?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 PM

Anywhere, really. Often, locally owned wine shops can't compete with chain stores, price-wise, but I have had local shops who did offer an impressive range of price points. I just look for the sales.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:50 PM

39 posts, read 55,160 times
Franzia, it's like $15 for 5 liters.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:27 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
I like the Grifone Primitivo from old vine zinfandel grapes Trader Joe's sells for $4.49.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages