Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:57 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't it be better to not BAN something that doesn't hurt a lot of people and instead push for alternatives for those it does hurt? I have hair dye problems, probably PPD but who knows, but I work around it. Banning it won't help me, but coming up with new products will

Don't throw the word BAN around like candy or you will end up in a world you don't want to live in. Keep it for the horrible stuff that harms all of humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 01:10 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW4950 View Post
Hi,

I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...elDQtqFS68os0G

My petition:

Ban the sale of products containing the chemical PPD (para-phenylenediamine)

We are calling for a ban on the chemical para-phenylenediamine (PPD) being used in hair dye products in the UK. Exposure to PPD can cause severe dermatitis, asthma, hives, stinging, swelling of the eyes/face, blisters or oozing of the scalp/ skin, tremors, convulsions, shortness of breath.

Mild symptoms such as rash, burning or itching can progress quickly to very severe ones requiring hospitalisation. Other European countries have banned this chemical from sale due to the risk of significant injury and death it poses to consumers. The observed adverse effects of PPD raises serious doubts in terms of its safety. We call on the government to ban the sale of products containing Para-phenylenediamine in order to achieve the highest possible degree of protection to UK consumers.

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...elDQtqFS68os0G

Thank You!
Just did now away to check my email from them to finish, thank you.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I am on the fifth day of horrific scalp pain and itchy hives all over after using L'Oreal permanent hair dye. I'd used Clairol temporary dye in the past with absolutely no problem, so I didn't think I had to do a test.

I read that 5 percent of the population is allergic to hair dye.

I had just a little gray and never should have done it.

I read that an ingredient, PPD, is the culprit, and France, Germany, and Sweden have BANNED PPD in hair dye.

I have no idea when this pain will stop. I've used Benedryl -- which puts me to sleep -- and will use Claritin tomorrow.

Has anyone suffered from this? How long does it last? What did you do about it?

Thanks!
yes, going through it now. day 5 and my eyes and face are swollen and the hives have moved down my back. being its the holiday I can not get a drs appointment today. and it wasnt bad until friday night. This is monday and its unbearable.

I feel for you. let me know if you get relief.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,368 times
I have been using Preference by L'Oreal for many years. They tell you to do a patch test every time you color your hair because you can develop an allergic reaction at any time, but who does that? This happened to a friend of mine not too long ago, but did I take heed? Nope. Well, I am regretting it now. At 66 years old I, too, am a victim. The itching is so bad! I find myself scratching unconsciously and now have open sores. Finally came to realize this is due to the PPD after Googling my symptoms. Am now taking Benadryl about every 4 hours. I also wanted to know how long this lasts. If I end up going to the doctor, I don't think my "go to" doctor for everything is going to be the best choice. Should I go to a Dermatologist or an Allergist?? Thanks for any advice. I took the advice from another blog post and washed my hair with Dawn and followed that with a Peroxide rinse trying to get the hair dye off. If anything, I think I am getting worse.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:32 PM

387 posts, read 870,787 times
I have had an allergic reaction and now use OriginalMineral products via the salon - they really do work as well as the others -cover grey, highlight etc.
It's an Australian brand and there are some salons in the US who use it -hopefully more will move to it as this is also about protecting the health of hair colourists too
https://www.originalmineral.com/cct-color/

Old 06-17-2018, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,806 times
Default Some relief for scalp itching after hair dye

I know this thread was written in 2009 but I am a person who has intense itching after dying my hair; however , letting my hair go grey is NOT an option. If all you have is itching you can get immediate relief by placing some baking soda in water, mixing it and then pouring it slowly on your head. Let it set for awhile and then rinse. You will have relief in about 3 minutes and it usually lasts for about 4 hours. Once I got horrible hives from an over the counter cough syrup and my only relief was baking soda and water and then dabbing it on my hives. I had the hives for five day and I was in total agony. After taking Prednisone they went away but after the Prednisone was finished they came back with a vengeance. Don't use baking soda and water too often because it will dry your skin out, but at least you will get some relief until the itching goes away.
I'm not a doctor, but I found this out by doing it myself.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,737 times
A little late but I figured for people that look this up in the future I would share my experience. I dyed my hair all the time and after I had children I suddenly developed an allergy. Ears would blister &ooze. Back and neck would be covered with painful blisters and my scalp was horribly red and itchy. Had to go to the doctor and get meds everytime I tried and failed to find what worked. I switched from box dye to the dye you buy at Sally's after doing some research on ppd(more professional grade) the brand was Ion and they have a ppd free, sensitive scalp line. I still had a reaction just not as bad. I now still use the ion ppd free dye but take 50 mg of benadryl right BEFORE I dye my hair and cover my hairline and ears with coconut oil for protection, immediately wiping off all dye around areas when I'm finished. No more horrible reaction!

Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 AM

8,228 posts, read 3,417,117 times
Hair dye contains hundreds of chemicals, many of them not tested. I cannot imagine why anyone would put those chemicals on their head.

Not just because of possible skin reactions. Some chemicals can go through the skin and into the blood. How do we know hair dye is not a cause of cancer?

I look around at all the women my age and they almost all have dyed hair. It looks fake, it doesn't fool anyone into thinking they are young.

It's probably expensive at the hair salon, and a pain to do yourself at home.

Until they have tested every one of those chemicals and are sure they are safe, don't put that stuff on your head!

And by the way, they probably will never test most of them.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:32 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Hair dye contains hundreds of chemicals, many of them not tested. I cannot imagine why anyone would put those chemicals on their head.

Not just because of possible skin reactions. Some chemicals can go through the skin and into the blood. How do we know hair dye is not a cause of cancer?

I look around at all the women my age and they almost all have dyed hair. It looks fake, it doesn't fool anyone into thinking they are young.

It's probably expensive at the hair salon, and a pain to do yourself at home.

Until they have tested every one of those chemicals and are sure they are safe, don't put that stuff on your head!

And by the way, they probably will never test most of them.
your right the junk in these dyes arent regulated enough no matter what the manufacturers claim.. not only that but they change some names on ingredients to confuse us more ... parabens can be any word ending in bens.. so watch out for them as well as others.. its the cocktail of these chemicals that can cause the real problems. not each individual one.. its time this stopped as the public knew more about what goes into their bodies...

Old 02-13-2019, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,806 times
Great info from everyone.
I noticed when I went to a salon, my scalp didn't itch all the time.
Maybe I'll start buying the more expensive hair dye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies